• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I've had an occasion or two where someone said they didn't receive something when I was absolutely sure I sent it....... thinking the individual was pulling a fast one..... only to find the check or money order in some weird place, unmailed. Could be something like this going on. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I could buy that Jimbo but that's easily fixed by cancelling the first payment and re-sending it. And there's a serious failure to communicate here.

So I have learned that long-delayed payments is this guys modus-operandi, and I need to be patient. I guess I finally drew the short straw meeting and dealing with this kind of :censored: . I emailed him again this morning and got some things off my chest, and basically told him to lose my number (after he pays me of course - if he even does).

If he doesn't I will of course out him, and nominate him for the PL. :facepalm:

This is far beyond delayed payments. This is about deception and lies and lots of them.

I finally heard from him and he had a perfectly plausible story for why this happened.

However until he follows through with his promise to pay me on Monday, that's all it is is a story.

I finally heard from him and he had a perfectly plausible story for why this happened.

However until he follows through with his promise to pay me on Monday, that's all it is is a story.

I am sure he spent several days crafting it. Interesting that yet once again, payment is several days away. Amazingly this morning I purchased something, and I was able to send the money instantly via Paypal in less than a minute. In fact, one could say that it took more time for him to type out the explanation than it would have been to just send it with a sincere apology.

Personally, I am looking forward to his outing...

Sigh...I must nominate mikeggg for the Probation List :(

Story is as follows...

Purchased a Batman # 19 off mikeegg that came back with a Married cover and replaced staples.

I had owned this for a year (paid for it around 4/17/13) before I sent it in to have it graded.

I had done a fair amount of business with mikeggg (buying and selling) and was not informed of any work being done to the book... nor was the concept of a married cover revealed to me at any time during my purchase of this book.

The sales thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=295665&Number=6612058#Post6612058

Finally got it sent to CGC... and I let Mike know asap as to the green label designation that was assigned the book through the following PMs...

Sent a PM about this on 5/17/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM about this on 11/9/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM on 2/8/15 which was read and not answered.

Sent one last PM on 5/19/15 which was finally read after I posted the book for sale (and the history of purchase) from here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=379541&Number=8628367#Post8628367

Mike PMd me back on 5/25/15 and explained that he hadn't been on the boards much due to a family/relationship crisis... yet he was able to read my PMs over the past year and not respond.

Mike offered no restitution or any attempt to rectify the situation in his PM.

I PM'd him back (on 5/26/15) stating I understood family problems and all I wanted was a $60 refund on this $300+ purchase to cover my slabbing and postage fees concerning the book. The book had been in my possession a year and didn't feel I warranted a full refund, I figure slabbing and shipping fees are really all I need back. This PM still sets unread.

I understand that mistakes happen concerning catching book repair (I've missed a few myself over the years, and was quick to make things right with the buyer)... I just never would have had the book slabbed had I known the history and true condition of it.

I have sent Mike a separate PM telling him of my intentions of nominating him here. I, again, hate to do it due to Mike's and my positive buying/selling history... but this isn't the way to treat repeat business.

xxx ooo

Rupp

I'm not clear on all the rules.... But I'd let it go. You've done a lot of business and this was an old purchase...sometimes you take a loss.

That's my opinion anyway.

So, hypothetically, if you purchase a $300 bill off me (a person you've done business with in the past and trust)... and I send you a $20 bill disguised as a $300 bill... and you don't deposit it for a year... whereupon the bank tells you its really a $20... then that's ok with you ?

Would you like to buy some $300 bills? ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

Does the story involve circus midgets and whipped cream? :wishluck:

Or bull whips, rubber hoses, and barbed wire. :insane:

I don't want to think he did it maliciously at all.. but over the course of a year of reading my PM's on the subject and not answering makes me wonder. :(

xxx ooo

Rupp

I would be very curious what explains away lying to someone repeatedly. Can't think of any myself.

I sympathize with you but if you didn't notice it for a year, then there is no reason to assume he noticed it either. If someone typed me a year later about a comic I sold and claimed there was something wrong with it, I would think I was the one being scammed.

If it was on the boards (not a stranger on Ebay) and someone I have dealt with in the past, personally I would make it right, but I don't think it is Probation List worthy. This coming from someone who is usually on the side of "off with their heads!"

I sympathize with you but if you didn't notice it for a year, then there is no reason to assume he noticed it either. If someone typed me a year later about a comic I sold and claimed there was something wrong with it, I would think I was the one being scammed.

If it was on the boards (not a stranger on Ebay) and someone I have dealt with in the past, personally I would make it right, but I don't think it is Probation List worthy. This coming from someone who is usually on the side of "off with their heads!"

Generally I agree, but it should be noted that Rupp's claim does not assume that the seller intentionally withheld knowledge of the book's true condition. But even if both genuinely missed it, the fact remains that the book is not what it was claimed to be at the time of sale.

I can see there being a time limit on condition claims where the issue is damage or wear to the book, but resto doesn't just happen to a book over time, if it was there at the point of sale than the sale was invalid in the first instance. 2c

That sucks you got something that wasn't as advertised, but It seems like there should be some kind of time limit on finding issues.

Yeah, I'm also not seeing this in the PL domain. I don't notice any explicit return policy stated in that sales thread, and I think one year is beyond the realm of any reasonable return/refund time window expectation.

Case in point...a couple months ago when I was gearing up for a sales thread, I discovered that a book I bought a year or two ago from a prominent online comic retailer had a missing page. They missed it, and I missed it when I received the book. I only noticed it when I was grading it in prep for selling it. The thought of contacting that retailer never crossed my mind.

Your "personal list?" Up to you.

PL? Just not feeling it... :sorry:

That sucks you got something that wasn't as advertised, but It seems like there should be some kind of time limit on finding issues.

Yeah, I'm also not seeing this in the PL domain. I don't notice any explicit return policy stated in that sales thread, and I think one year is beyond the realm of any reasonable return/refund time window expectation.

Case in point...a couple months ago when I was gearing up for a sales thread, I discovered that a book I bought a year or two ago from a prominent online comic retailer had a missing page. They missed it, and I missed it when I received the book. I only noticed it when I was grading it in prep for selling it. The thought of contacting that retailer never crossed my mind.

Your "personal list?" Up to you.

PL? Just not feeling it... :sorry:

..... I'm here also. Had the book still been available for a return things might be negotiable. If I had sold the book, I'd accept it back after a year for credit towards something else....but probably not a refund..... although I did do that once. To me, unless a lifetime guarantee is discussed in advance, it's not to be expected. I do business with a few show circuit dealers who will take a book back for credit if it turns out to be honestly misrepresented..... and I'm fine with that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...when I buy raw to submit, I always felt the gamble was at least partially mine...... certainly in regards to slabbing fees 2c

I don't want to think he did it maliciously at all.. but over the course of a year of reading my PM's on the subject and not answering makes me wonder. :(

xxx ooo

Rupp

Is this the same type of problem that landed him on the probation list the first time?