• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?
5 5

345 posts in this topic

:news:UPDATE: Kang the Conquer movie rights; Elektra status still unclear, but hints at Marvel due to audition videos found. :news:

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

• Apocalypse: News Article #1 (Apocalypse movie announcement)

• Deadpool/Wade Wilson: News Article #1 (Fox could lose Deadpool); News Article #2 (Deadpool movie announced for 2016).

• Fantastic Four: Victor von Doom (Doctor Doom), Johnny Storm (Human Torch), Susan Storm (Invisible Woman), Dr. Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic), Ben Grimm (The Thing), Frankie Raye (Nova), Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin.

• Galactus, Silver Surfer: News Article #1 (Fox attempts trade to retain Daredevil rights) News Article #2 (Fox holds characters back from Marvel).

• Kang the Conqueror: News Article #1 (No-Go for Guardians movie)

• Skrulls: News Article #1 (Feige says no Skrulls in Avengers).

• X-Force and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (X-Force movie casting).

• X-Men Mutants and associated alliances & villains: Agent Zero/Maverick/David North, Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan.

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

Sony Pictures

Marvel Studios

• Ant-Man and associated alliances & villains: Hank Pym; other associated characters TBD.

• Avengers and associated alliances & villains: Clint Barton/Hawkeye, Thanos.

• Black Panther (formerly with Lionsgate): News Article #1, News Article #2.

• Black Widow (formerly with Lionsgate): News Article #1 (2006 rights transfer back to Marvel)

• Blade and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (2013 - Marvel recovers rights) Blade, Deacon Frost, Vlad Tepes (Dracula), Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler.

• Captain America, associated alliances & villains: Steve Rogers/Captain America, Bucky, Red Skull, The Winter Soldier, Sam Wilson (Falcon), Brock Rumlow (Crossbones), Georges Batroc, Nick Fury, Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow), S.H.I.E.L.D. organization.

• Daredevil and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (2013 - Marvel recovers rights): Daredevil/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich

• Ghost Rider and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (2013 - Marvel recovers rights) Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson.

• Guardians of the Galaxy and associated alliances & villains: Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Ronan the Accuser, Yondu, Nebula, Korath, Taneleer Tivan/The Collector, Rhomann Dey, Nova Prime, Rocket Raccoon (Groot??).

• Incredible Hulk and associated alliances & villains (not including distribution rights): Bruce Banner (Hulk), Betty Ross, Abomination, General "Thunderbolt" Ross, Dr. Leonard Samson.

• Iron Man and associated alliances & villains: Tony Stark (Iron Man), James Rhodes (War Machine), Mark Scarlotti/Anton Vanko (Whiplash), Mandarin, Justin Hammer.

• Power Man & Iron Fist and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (2013 - Confirmed film rights) News Article 2 : Iron Fist, Luke Cage/Power Man.

• Punisher and associated alliances & villains: News Article #1 (7-2010: Marvel regains rights): The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap.

• Spider-Man (TV rights - live and animated): News Article #1.

• Spider-Man (merchandising rights): News Article #1

• Thor and associated alliances & villains: Thor, Loki, Odin, Heimdall, Malekith, Algrim/Kurse, Volstagg, Fandral, Hogun, Sif, Frigga, Jane Foster.

• Uatu the Watcher TV rights (clearly Marvel).

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

Why are the Elektra rights unclear? Feige said they had it, and it seems obvious they either got it back with Daredevil or earlier this year following the 10-year mark of the Elektra film release.

Why are the Elektra rights unclear? Feige said they had it, and it seems obvious they either got it back with Daredevil or earlier this year following the 10-year mark of the Elektra film release.

Read what Kevin Feige stated in that second article.

"Elektra I think we have. I think that was part of Daredevil, and that's clean and simple. Kingpin we either have or somehow share. I'm not 100 percent clear on that one."

As far as should Marvel have the rights back at this point, it should since the last movie was 2005 and we are now in 2015. And the recent audition tape news is a very good sign. But better to hear it officially from Marvel, though. Especially with the hidden confusion that goes on with character rights.

Anybody remember what the expiration timers are on Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men? We've been talking about it being 10 years without a film for Daredevil, but I'm pretty sure it's less than that for some or all of those three franchises.

I'm mostly hoping Fox loses money hand over fist on this next Fantastic Four film. I'm fine if it's stellar and they don't lose money, but if it's meh like it looks, I hope they take a huge bath. :wishluck:

And related to this--anyone know how Marvel got the Punisher and Ghost Rider rights back in 2013? The Punisher had a film out in 2008 and Ghost Rider in 2011, so it can't have been due to not putting films out for a while on Ghost Rider at the least. hm

Oh, and I suppose Fantastic Four is likely to have a 10-year timer since the second film came out in 2007 and this new one will be released 8 years later. I'm pretty sure the Spider-Man timer is shorter, and maybe the X-Men one too since those have been Marvel's premiere properties for decades.

Lions Gate had the rights to Punisher & Columbia had Ghost Rider. Both companies simply gave up the rights since both of the Punisher & Ghost Rider movies were financial & critical failures. Essentially they tapped out rather than take another bath on putting out a Punisher or Ghost Rider movie. Both tried some cooperation with Marvel but it didn't translate. Soooo... they gave up & just handed the rights back. There was no payment as far as I know, they just pretty much said "seriously, just take them back"

I think with Ghost Rider though, Columbia had a "we'll make X number of movies" type deal rather than a "we keep the rights until Y number of years passes without us using them" deal like Fox & Sony have set up.

Edited by Doktor

Man, that's just weird, Cable is unclear?

Marvel and Fox have both noted having something in the works involving the Cable character (the articles I've captured for reference). But then Marvel didn't move forward with a Cable movie as assumed, and Fox keeps hinting at Cable in an X-Force movie along with Liefeld stating this as well.

And the fans are in the middle wondering which path becomes reality. :ohnoez:

i think fox contract is expired and i think the only reason they still have the characters is because they are making movies. i bet if they didn't move fast on fantastic four lastest movie the rights would have gone to marvel. didn't sony redid their contact years ago were they get 100% of the money from the movies and marvel would get everything else like carrtoons, games, toys and not having a problem using him. did again they have a new deal now which is going to work for both Sony and marvel in the long run.

Could someone explain the Kang thing?

I thought he would be an Avengers property or at the least a shared property like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Could someone explain the Kang thing?

I thought he would be an Avengers property or at the least a shared property like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Marvel can use Kang

Fox can use Rama-Tut and Nathaniel Richards

Here’s The Deal With The Marvel-Universal ‘Hulk’ Deal

When talking about the potential of Hulk getting a new solo movie, Mark Ruffalo pointed towards Universal owning the rights being an obstacle, but it’s really not. After Ang Lee’s Hulk in 2003, Universal opted not to develop a sequel in the contractually allotted time frame and so the actual rights to use the character reverted back to Marvel. Marvel controls all the Hulk-related licenses and Universal still maintains only the distribution rights. According to Forbes (which has uncovered additional specifics on the deal), Univeral retains “the right of first refusal,” which means if Marvel decides to make The Incredible Hulk 2 or something like Planet Hulk or World War Hulk, Universal doesn’t have to distribute it. They can refuse and then Disney would be able to.

Considering then that Paramount Pictures has been involved in half of Marvel’s movies to date and that Marvel is partnering with Sony Pictures on a new Spider-Man – which will be distributed by Sony – the fact that Universal has the option to distribute a Hulk movie should they choose to means relatively little in the long-term planning of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Facts About The Live-Action Rights Of Marvel Characters

Namor, the Sub-Mariner

CONCLUSION: Namor's rights reside, for an unknown amount of time, with Universal Studios but it seems now that Marvel may be able to use him similarly to the Maximoffs and Skrulls. It is a fact that Namor's live-action rights are back with Marvel, but that there is an agreement in place with Universal that may prevent Namor starring in his own film.

Taskmaster

CONCLUSION: Given the information available, Taskmaster's film rights are, inexplicably, at Fox.

Uatu, the Watcher

CONCLUSION: Uatu's rights are at Fox.

The Badoon

CONCLUSION: The rights to the Badoon are with Fox.

Gladiator

CONCLUSION: Gladiator's rights are at FOX.

Good Lord! Fox is Marvel Lite with all these rights still within its grasp.

:ohnoez:

The Facts About The Live-Action Rights Of Marvel Characters

Namor, the Sub-Mariner

CONCLUSION: Namor's rights reside, for an unknown amount of time, with Universal Studios but it seems now that Marvel may be able to use him similarly to the Maximoffs and Skrulls. It is a fact that Namor's live-action rights are back with Marvel, but that there is an agreement in place with Universal that may prevent Namor starring in his own film.

Taskmaster

CONCLUSION: Given the information available, Taskmaster's film rights are, inexplicably, at Fox.

Uatu, the Watcher

CONCLUSION: Uatu's rights are at Fox.

The Badoon

CONCLUSION: The rights to the Badoon are with Fox.

Gladiator

CONCLUSION: Gladiator's rights are at FOX.

Good Lord! Fox is Marvel Lite with all these rights still within its grasp.

:ohnoez:

Then why aren't they using them? :frustrated:

Gladiator might still be at Fox, but assuming we're talking about the DD character and NOT the Shi'Ar/Imperial Guard/etc X-Men character Gladiator, then it's just a matter of time for them to bounce back to Marvel. They already hinted at him in DD season 1. And used his alter-ego.

If it's the alien with the Mohawk Gladiator though... I think those just stick with Fox as long as they have the X-Men rights.

Gladiator might still be at Fox, but assuming we're talking about the DD character and NOT the Shi'Ar/Imperial Guard/etc X-Men character Gladiator, then it's just a matter of time for them to bounce back to Marvel. They already hinted at him in DD season 1. And used his alter-ego.

If it's the alien with the Mohawk Gladiator though... I think those just stick with Fox as long as they have the X-Men rights.

Image from the article.

file_190641_0_watx13658.jpg

Shame is Gunn wanted him in the movie.

B8C62UlIAAA08pP.png

:(