• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

for this argument, comps do need to happen in a controlled environment...we are not discussing avg prices for grades (grades that encompass all variables that make up said grade) , we are discussing a specific variable that can only be "compared" in a controlled environment to truly see an effect...

While I tend to side with Jay's argument, I am not at all surprised by your experience as stated in your message about offering two books with different PQs, that the better one sold for more. Assuming your statements on the comparative conditions of the books are correct - and no reason not to, particularly given your statement of people asking why one was priced higher than the other supports the notion that they were viewed similarly - it simply makes sense that the "better" book sold for more than the other. Faster, I'm not going to say I'm surprised about, but any number of factors could contribute to that one - the kind of customer you likely attract, or seller bias (you, of course, want to make the higher sale, and, as you admit, your answer to the question of different prices is essentially "this is the nicer book") - so I don't know that you've shown that faster was due to the PQ, but it could have been, too.

But I think the more you control the variables, whether it's your examples where we are told the PQ was the only difference, or looking at high grade Hulk 181 which are likely to be more alike in other respects than most, the more you take yourself away from Jay's argument, at least as I understand it. If the books in question only differ in PQ and nothing else, then it really isn't applicable to his argument. Once again, as I see his argument.

Yes ttfitz, I think you have quite accurately summarized the respective positions. (thumbs u

I think now is as good a time as any to try to get the thread back on point, by posting a scan of my own humble copy (purchased from Joey D. two years ago):

:cloud9:

BB28_zps6eec267e.jpg

As for the book's future pricing prospects, I would say that they are indeed bright for the short and mid-term, as the book really does seem to be picking up steam in all grades (and "PQ's" ;) ).

(And yes, I am acutely aware of the irony of the "PQ" that's on the label of the copy that I own relative to my arguments and observations on the subject. lol )

-J.

Because it still happened. The sales still happened and you cannot ignore/discount/minimize them just because they don't fit the narrative that you choose to believe in.

-J.

hm

It's just plain silly that you are attempting to use one of the few auction houses that "doesn't" report to GPA, and has no readily accessible archived results, in lieu of the litany of data from basically every other vendor that does in order to "prove" a point that is easily (and has been) disproved.

-J.

hmhm

Yes ttfitz, I think you have quite accurately summarized the respective positions. (thumbs u

I think now is as good a time as any to try to get the thread back on point, by posting a scan of my own humble copy (purchased from Joey D. two years ago):

BB28_zps6eec267e.jpg

As for the book's future pricing prospects, I would say that they are indeed bright for the short and mid-term, as the book really does seem to be picking up steam in all grades (and "PQ's" ;) ).

(And yes, I am acutely aware of the irony of the "PQ" that's on the label of the copy that I own relative to my arguments and observations on the subject. lol )

-J.

Sure, youse that own a copy think the pricing future is bright; for me it is rather glum, as it becomes less and less likely that I will own a copy. :(

BB28_zps6eec267e.jpg

-J.

Sure, youse that own a copy think the pricing future is bright; for me it is rather glum, as it becomes less and less likely that I will own a copy. :(

There is still some room in the book. Like Dan Gallo says in most of his ebay listings, "sometimes you just have to bite the bullet". :baiting:

-J.

I wonder if a boardie won the 5.5. It seems like it was a great deal compared to what some thought the book was currently worth.

Seems like it's in step with what's been selling so far. It's even over 1K a grade if you set the price for a 5.5 at $5500.00. At just a coupla bucks shy of 6K puts that at about 1.09K per grade pt.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/7136-91316.s

I wonder if a boardie won the 5.5. It seems like it was a great deal compared to what some thought the book was currently worth.

Based on the sale of my own 5.5 just yesterday on the boards, I'd say that price is exactly in line with the current market.

Based on the sale of my own 5.5 just yesterday on the boards, I'd say that price is exactly in line with the current market.

But what about the page quality? ;)

Price of Tea in China.

Price of Tea in China.

Indeed.

Frankly, I found your 5.5 to be a superior example than the one on Heritage. The one on Heritage looked graded a little soft to me and I believe the final price reflected that.

-J.

To be honest, I thought the 5.5 on Heritage was overgraded. Looking at the large crease on the bottom right, the crease in the upper left and apparent 1/2" (or a bit more) split at the top of the spine, the tear on the upper right side, and other areas (along the spine, mid right side) with creasing/wear it is more of a 4.5/5.0 IMHO. It does have nice color and a clean white back cover, but there is too much damage on the front for a 5.5 as far as I can see.

To be honest, I thought the 5.5 on Heritage was overgraded. Looking at the large crease on the bottom right, the crease in the upper left and apparent 1/2" (or a bit more) split at the top of the spine, the tear on the upper right side, and other areas (along the spine, mid right side) with creasing/wear it is more of a 4.5/5.0 IMHO. It does have nice color and a clean white back cover, but there is too much damage on the front for a 5.5 as far as I can see.

+1

I was thinking of placing a high bid a few days ago and kept looking at the book inch by inch (i didnt want to put in a bid without really checking it out)

I posted a calibration test on pgm awhile ago and that book was cbcs 4.5 but it presented better and I can say in better shape than the 5.5 on HA.

Price of Tea in China.

Indeed.

Frankly, I found your 5.5 to be a superior example than the one on Heritage. The one on Heritage looked graded a little soft to me and I believe the final price reflected that.

-J.

I preferred the back cover on the Heritage copy, much cleaner then my own. But then, people rarely buy these gems with the back cover in mind. The Heritage copy also easily won the preservation contest between the two, both in terms of appeal and page quality, but mine was clearly superior where it mattered most: front cover appeal. All that being said, I think I made out for the better considering what is owed Heritage in terms of the buyer's juice, seller's fees, and time lost for the consignment.

I'm still at a loss to explain the demand for the book at these price points...of course, I couldn't forsee AF 15 selling for $22k in 5.0 either, so Nostradamus I am not....

Price of Tea in China.

Indeed.

-J.

I preferred the back cover on the Heritage copy, much cleaner then my own. But then, people rarely buy these gems with the back cover in mind. The Heritage copy also easily won the preservation contest between the two, both in terms of appeal and page quality, but mine was clearly superior where it mattered most: front cover appeal. All that being said, I think I made out for the better considering what is owed Heritage in terms of the buyer's juice, seller's fees, and time lost for the consignment.

I'm still at a loss to explain the demand for the book at these price points...of course, I couldn't forsee AF 15 selling for $22k in 5.0 either, so Nostradamus I am not....

I'm at a loss for comics prices in general going up as fast and as far as they have.

J, there's one major flaw in your argument.

For every example you have ever found of a copy with lesser page quality selling for higher, whether due to some other positive quality or a combination of events and factors, those copies would have sold for even more with better page quality.

:acclaim:

For every example you have ever found of a copy with lesser page quality selling for higher, whether due to some other positive quality or a combination of events and factors, those copies would have sold for even more with better page quality.

YES!! FOR ENGLAND!!!!

That would be called either "speculation" or "wishful thinking" depending on who you were talking to. lol

-J.