• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,115 posts in this topic

Rob without a doubt you bought the book and ALL its curb appeal over the label. :applause:

I know for sure with all your DD books, you are just like me with all my books. If you see in hand it has a chance of a bump from a simple resub or if some flaws look to be press worthy you do it for yourself and your collecting goals - not to make some coin and flip.

Man only a few more slabs and you will have completed what so very few have Rob!

Stoked to see the final stretch for you man - pretty damnn cool :headbang:

:blush:

Coming from you (who I think is one of the nicest guys on the Boards) means a lot. :foryou:

9F7F6D70-A2EC-49C3-8EB6-D29818607BCB_zps2y56dskp.jpg

"I'm in glass case of emotion," in lieu of your kind words!!

(I don't know if I translate well via posts, but after all our correspondences - glad you think so my fellow DD nut :insane::hi: )

How did you guys start one day? Did you win a 9.4 at a great price? Did you target certain books first?

I've been focusing on a raw set, but watching you guys show your beautiful books makes me hm and think about really focusing my efforts on a slabbed collection rather than buying raws. Did you guys buy most of your books already slabbed or raw and submit yourself?

How did you guys start one day? Did you win a 9.4 at a great price? Did you target certain books first?

I've been focusing on a raw set, but watching you guys show your beautiful books makes me hm and think about really focusing my efforts on a slabbed collection rather than buying raws. Did you guys buy most of your books already slabbed or raw and submit yourself?

For this run, I started out with the concept. I've always collected DD and have owned 1-up complete sets a couple of times (1-280 or something when I was in my teens/20s) and 1-100 or so a decade ago. I was never going to be able to do a #1 set kind of thing,even after doug sold his books, but I knew I could do the run in 9.4 so that served as my baseline. I also have a bias toward pedigree books, but so do a lot of other Silver Age collectors so we beat each other up there a little bit... I started with a bunch of Western Penns that came up at Heritage.

As for how do I put the run together- with these books 90% I bought slabbed. I actually submit a lot these days (basically once a month this year) building out the copper/modern corner of my collection, but I don't get out to conventions enough to pull silver/bronze copies worth grading. It's too bad because I'm submitting often enough now that I'm getting a very good sense of how books will end up.

But when you started out, did you buy the books as they became available? Did you go after certain issues first like first appearances or keys? I'm working with a blank slate aside from #1, #131 and the Miller run.

But when you started out, did you buy the books as they became available? Did you go after certain issues first like first appearances or keys? I'm working with a blank slate aside from #1, #131 and the Miller run.

I had no plan other than the aesthetics and the 9.4 threshold. In hindsight, I would have gone harder at non-pedigree copies of 1-10 and gone harder at books from the 1970s when they became available. Basically choosing between a book from the 1960s and the 70s, it's always better to go for the 1970s book because they're harder. Really though, I don't think it's gone too badly even without a plan.

I had no plan other than the aesthetics and the 9.4 threshold. In hindsight, I would have gone harder at non-pedigree copies of 1-10 and gone harder at books from the 1970s when they became available. Basically choosing between a book from the 1960s and the 70s, it's always better to go for the 1970s book because they're harder. Really though, I don't think it's gone too badly even without a plan.

I agree all this. Would add, as a general rule, better to get the pricier books early as they tend to appreciate better is all. Didn't always follow this rule myself and lived to regret it. For my part, knew early on wanted very high grade run 1-100 and back in late '09 early '10 thought prices had come off enough to get back in so just started buying books as and when they became available. I share OCD traits with our DD collector brother Eric, although instead of needing OW-W as a minimum (am ok w/ OW), I focus more on overall eye appeal, especially cover registration/centering. Personally have a hard time buying a book that has white from the back cover showing on the front is all. Will do it to fill a hole but always with the view to 'upgrade' to a copy with a better cut.

Just one man's take. Only 5 issues left to complete 1-100 in desired grade (5, 37, 38, 55, 66) so wish me luck...

Thanks for the advice guys. :foryou:

Looking at the Registry sets, they all make sense except one: Daredevil #1 - #310. ???

Why does the set stop at #310? What am I missing?

....there is an extraterrestrial Boardie who lobbied for this. He/She (It, actually....) only has 310 fingers. The fact that this boardie also has a death ray trained on Sarasota somewhat facilitated the request. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just call me Spike, Price Spike. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but there are steep spikes all over Daredevil GPA from me in the past 6 months.

I'm the proud owner of a Daredevil 60 for $263 :insane:

Previous high, $135. Which I was probably involved in as well :sorry:

Edited by rob_react

Just call me Spike, Price Spike. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but there are steep spikes all over Daredevil GPA from me in the past 6 months.

I'm the proud owner of a Daredevil 60 for $263 :insane:

Previous high, $135. Which I was probably involved in as well :sorry:

lol I've been there done that!

But like everyone has said - truly a helluva nice looking book!!

(in fact, wondering what's keeping it from a 9.6)