• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite model kits based on comic book characters
2 2

129 posts in this topic

.... that Spider-thing was very unnerving when I was a kid. That cartoon had more impact on me than probably any other. Very creative for the 60's.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Rat Finks, Weird Ohs and Nutty Mads oh my! Any other of you geezers (except Hep Cat) play with these as a kid. My favorite is the Mr Gasser slot car. Oh, so hard to find...

finksweirdohs_zpscbd9c458.jpg

I grew up at the drags, (car not cross-dressers) and Rat Fink was a cool daddy for sure.

.... that Spider-thing was very unnerving when I was a kid. That cartoon had more impact on me than probably any other. Very creative for the 60's.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ditto! They were re-running episodes on a nostalgia cable channel a few months ago, but they seem to have stopped.

They also had the Avenger's, the B&W british secret agents no the super heros. That Emma Peal sure was hot.

3D printed handgun of Hellboy's, made by GreisMonkey Designs, based on the comics. I modified mine to be a single action. 44mm round.

A lot of fun to assemble.

14445350926_6cd9cbe9f1.jpg

14465090801_15c74570ba_c.jpg

14468448185_6e9e656c6b_c.jpg14282001937_5df2b1a918_z.jpg

OH MY!

You had me at 'HELLBOY'. You had me at 'HELLBOY'.

:cloud9:

Flash Gordon's Rocket Ship (1:72)

from "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars" (1938)

Fantastic Plastic's Flash Gordon Rocket is based on the purported filming miniature seen above. It features a full interior, doors that can be positioned opened or closed, and a clear vacuform canopy and windows.

Scale: 1:72

Number of Pieces: 26

Clear Vacuform Canopy Insert

Pattern: Ed Holt

Casting: BLAP! Models

Length: 9 inches

FlashGordonRocketBoxArt-500.jpg

"World of the Worlds" Diorama

by Joseph Svec

Jackson, California, USA

JoesephSvecWOTW1.jpg

JoesephSvecWOTW2.jpg

JoesephSvecWOTW3.jpg

JoesephSvecWOTW4.jpg

JoesephSvecWOTW5.jpg

JoesephSvecWOTW6.jpg

JoesephSvecWOTW7.jpg

-----------------------

Here are photos of my 54mm H.G.Wells, War of the Worlds diorama, that I currently have displayed in a local bookstore window in Jackson California.

It is 8' x 2.5' and has approximately 45 hand painted 1890's British infantry figures plus 10 civilians, 3 Martian figures, 7 Martian Tripods (including one damaged, and the Martian cylinder that has opened up to allow humans to encounter the Martians for the first time.

The Martian figures that are coming out of the cylinder and the downed tripod are based on a 1890's book illustration. The Martian tripods are custom made and based on various 1890's illustrations of them.

Most of the damaged buildings are by 21st Century. The Martian red weeds are aquarium plants and fall colored scenic terrain. The river is by Pegasus. The scenic terrain features and impact crater are also hand made.

-----------------------

Now that definitely would make me want to come in and look around.

:applause:

I just got this in the mail today.

This isn't a model, and I didn't make it but it's a copy of a resin model version of another piece I have. One of my favorite comic book heroes (not really super, more pulp), is Dave Steven's Rocketeer.

And I'd really wanted a hand made version of the helm. (I know it's supposed to be brass in the comic and movie versions) This is made of mild steel, and he had the great forethought of making the fin hollow.

I still need to add the smoked lenses and a liner. No plans to wear it, but I want it to look plausible to be worn. (It does fit my head with room for a liner).

The pics aren't very kind as it's so shiny, hand oil smears are distracting. But it's SO VERY AWESOME!

18141443461_0546725a3a_c.jpg

17952459388_991679c276_c.jpg

18136683822_a041445fee_c.jpg

17519620073_28922ac427_c.jpg

The maker wasn't really too happy with some of the wonkiness of it. But I think he was being really picky and I think it totally adds to the charm. I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much if the welds were laser perfect or the fin as sharp as a knife. It's so completely wicked!! Like Peevy made it himself! I couldn't have asked for a better crowning display piece for my Dave Stevens comic book collection. I also have a nearly perfect resin copy of the movie version, but I think the steel crafted one is perfection.

16687953061_8029dcb212.jpg

-Terry

Question:

For those of you who have built the Aurora kits and the like, what type/brand of putty do you use to fill the seams?

I've been using the Testors putty since I was a teenager and I absolutely hate the stuff, it's total rubbish.

There has to be something better. Otherwise, model building is going to be too much aggrevation for me.

Question:

For those of you who have built the Aurora kits and the like, what type/brand of putty do you use to fill the seams?

I've been using the Testors putty since I was a teenager and I absolutely hate the stuff, it's total rubbish.

There has to be something better. Otherwise, model building is going to be too much aggrevation for me.

Let me ask my buddy at work that got me back into building models last year. He uses a putty that is recommended by folks in his model club that build these kits for local museums. He showed me a jet model he finished recently that looked fantastic.

I just got this in the mail today.

This isn't a model, and I didn't make it but it's a copy of a resin model version of another piece I have. One of my favorite comic book heroes (not really super, more pulp), is Dave Steven's Rocketeer.

That is FANTASTIC!

Oddly enough, before bed last night my sons asked if they could watch the Rocketeer cartoon on Youtube. I wish this was a regular show rather than a fanatical fan celebrating the 20th anniversary.

I was impressed they remembered it, as its been months since I showed this to them.

Question:

There has to be something better. Otherwise, model building is going to be too much aggravation for me.

It's been a while, but the hobby standard was Milliput (Amazon.com link) . I also had great results with an A+B Epoxy Putty (Amazon.com link).

The process was pinch off small part of both A & B, moosh them together into a well mixed ball, then use pinches of that to force into seams, gaps and pits. Dip a finger or paper towel in rubbing alcohol, wipe off any excess. Let it harden, then sand with 400 grit sandpaper until blended or the seam disappears. And, if needed, before it dries you can use toothpicks to sculpt in small details like hair areas, clothes wrinkles and the like. Handles like clay, hardens like a rock.

howto3.jpgnew-9900-7big.jpg

So, is anyone going to Wonderfest this weekend? I can't build model kits for mess, but I go every year because I love looking at the work others have done. If anyone is in the Louisville area and is interested in kits, you owe it to yourself to go!

Wonderfest