• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

Blue doesn't fade to green. The blue must have been from a different part of the print run. I've seen the 8.0 Lloyd Jacquet copy and it has the same green colour strike.

"Fading" wasn't the right word. I thought that the staining so prevalent with St John's might have caused the original blue to turn green.

You may be right about different parts of the print run, though because these books bundled together coverless returns, I wonder if the print run was long enough for this kind of striking color difference to be explained that way.

Blue doesn't fade to green. The blue must have been from a different part of the print run. I've seen the 8.0 Lloyd Jacquet copy and it has the same green colour strike.

"Fading" wasn't the right word. I thought that the staining so prevalent with St John's might have caused the original blue to turn green.

You may be right about different parts of the print run, though because these books bundled together coverless returns, I wonder if the print run was long enough for this kind of striking color difference to be explained that way.

It's hard to say what the print run on this issue was. Some 25 centers seem to exist in quantity. This comic is rare because of it's suggestive cover.

I hate all you people who have these high grade and awesome Baker books that I don't have...but here's a couple paltry low grade new ones I just picked up. Sqeggs was kind enough to dump his undercopy of DS19 on me...thanks, buddy...I'll use it to wrap fish... lol

2enq9no.jpg

Got this one on the bay 3 weeks ago...probably paid too much, but i like the cover...

rwqer8.jpg

I hate all you people who have these high grade and awesome Baker books that I don't have...but here's a couple paltry low grade new ones I just picked up. Sqeggs was kind enough to dump his undercopy of DS19 on me...thanks, buddy...I'll use it to wrap fish... lol

2enq9no.jpg

Got this one on the bay 3 weeks ago...probably paid too much, but i like the cover...

rwqer8.jpg

You should know that it's not possible to pay too much for a Baker book. :baiting:

and you need to stop telling children there is no Santa... :D

Funny that Baker never did a Christmas cover. A couple of fireplace covers, but no Christmas covers, unless I'm forgetting something. Given that even super hero books had the occasional Christmas cover, it's odd he wouldn't have drawn one. hm

DS 20 is not an easy book to find. Kudos on the pickups.

Thanks. Did you bid on it?

I put in a single, low bid early on, just to keep the auction under watch. I figured if Sqeggs needed a DS 20 (and, thinking he probably did), he'd outbid me, anyway. I was surprised when he didn't win it.

I already have a good looking lower grade copy, in any event.

He crapped out at $77, so that made me wonder if I overpaid...but I have not seen that book offered before and it was decent enough for a bottom feeder like myself... lol

No, you got it for a decent price, in my estimation. I've only seen a scant few copies offered for sale over the past 12 years.

Arriving at the Matt Baker party as late as I did, it's been frustrating to see some of you brag about the good ol' days when one could purchase certain coveted Baker books for a pittance. I must have been due a Good Karma payment though, because I finally scored a rare book for a sweet price.

A couple of weeks ago, during a cross-country trip to visit my son in Syracuse, New York, I stopped off at a few comic shops near my route. At one store, the proprietor checked his special boxes of books behind the counter and said he didn't have any of the issues I had asked for, but I was welcome to look through his regular back issue boxes out on the display floor.

Sure that I would run onto nothing but the usual plethora of Marvel foil cover multiples and other over-printed issues, I was reluctant at first, but something told me to give it a brief try before getting back on the road. Going straight to the “D” section, I started looking for a specific St. John romance title.

Digging past tons of Detective Comics from the 1990's and the 2000's, I came upon something that made my heart stop. The sticker on the front had the incorrect issue number, and the price seemed wrong, too, but I wasn't one to quibble. I paid the man and got the book out of there as soon as I could.

9a5rfvZ.jpg