• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Max - Fury Road - 2015

230 posts in this topic

The movie is definitely not for everyone but I'll side with this movie becoming a cult classic soon enough.

Yes there was no real depth to the plot but it was visually stunning like avatar, the action keeps you on the edge of your seat and what I liked most of all was that it felt like it was true to the 1980's films - everything was reinvented to make it more contemporary and yet it still stayed faithful and true in feel to the 1st 3 films.

And the shaking of the camera during some scenes, which was so classic in those early films fit in beautifully here.

In fact, if I hadn't gone back and rewatched those early films recently you could almost swear that this film was made decades ago, just after the 1st three, it seemed to fit in so well.

Loved it. It's well deserving of it's high RT rating IMO.

RT has just about lost all credibility now...

They have Melissa McCarthy's goofball looking "Spy" currently at 100%!

:tonofbricks:

metacritic at 84 - looks legit

sorry but that is just white noise ot me now because metacritic had Mad Max rated high too...

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

What am I missing here??? this looks like the female version of friggin' Mall Cop!

Maybe half these critics are out west in Denver getting high as Balls before critiquing these flicks???

lol

Did you see the movie? That might be what you're missing from your analysis. lol

RT has just about lost all credibility now...

They have Melissa McCarthy's goofball looking "Spy" currently at 100%!

:tonofbricks:

metacritic at 84 - looks legit

sorry but that is just white noise ot me now because metacritic had Mad Max rated high too...

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

What am I missing here??? this looks like the female version of friggin' Mall Cop!

Maybe half these critics are out west in Denver getting high as Balls before critiquing these flicks???

lol

Did you see the movie? That might be what you're missing from your analysis. lol

well that's obvious because it hasn't came out yet...

I was referring to the trailer in which it looks like it desperately trying to be a twin to Mall Cop with the fat jokes and solo rambo style of kicking arse in a goofy way.

If this is any good, the trailer would have at least one good laugh right???

I am starving for a solid comedy, I go see stand-ups on a regular basis

and I saw this trailer I winced at the poor attempts at over done cheese ball slapstick.

:P

Anyway this thread is about Mad Max, so everybody praise away...

o.k. I know there is already a Mad Max thread, but I must be missing something...

Almost to the point that I feel like I didn't see the same movie that everyone else is raving about.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie - it just takes a lot more in my opinion to be great...

This movie reminds me of something like Avatar where the presentation is very beautiful and the shots were grand and the stunts/special effects were smoking!...

I just don't think there was a strong plot and that's HUGE when trying to paint a movie a classic. Yes I know, that they were just trying to find something better, but there was hardly any character development and with that there isn't any emotional investment in any of the characters. That's what makes classic movies.

Take the pretty decorative film making away and this movie would be surely doomed.

For example look at the 80's Mad Max like Road Warriors and there is plenty of character development and hardly none of the flash that was in this movie...

There was the guy that flew the mini-copter, mad max, the dog boy, hell even the villain with assless chaps had more depth to offer than any of these new characters.

So paint me in the minority.

I give this movie a fun pop corn rating of 6.5–7 out of 10 which is generous since this is basically an action chase movie with tons of style, but unfortunately no depth.

+1,000,000

It was good, but certainty wasn't the masterpiece it was made out to be.

People must really be bored with super hero movies by the praise this is getting.

Once again it was good, but no way a 98 percent Rotten Tomatoes is giving it.

Myself, this was the movie that has made me be tired of blockbuster movies. :sick:

I had just done three weekends of back to back blockbusters with Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Mad Max .

As I was watching Mad Max I realized to myself that these movies are basically all the same smash ems ups like a video game.

I rather play a video game than watch a video game.

Once again Mad Max was a good movie, but no way is it great.

I think it`s being praised because people are getting sick of superhero movies, and with Mad Max although is basically the same thing did have a R rating which some adults want.

The adults want their action to be a little more violent than the generic family oriented movie.

So yeah Mad Max a good movie, but it`s not something I would qualify as a masterpiece.

Guardians of The Galaxy, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and X-Men: Days of Future Past were so much better. IMHO.

Ditto!

Didn't knock my socks off. It was good, not great. I went in with high expectations and it didn't come close to meeting them. I don't understand the 98% critics and 92% user ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Waaay overrated!

Put me in the club as well. I definitely enjoyed it, but the overwhelmingly positive response had me expecting a Road Warrior level experience at minimum. Still, way more fun than most "thrill ride" movies. I was also a little disappointed with Tom Hardy. I really like him as an actor, but he seemed a bit too disengaged for much of the movie. By his own account he was frustrated with the production process, and later apologized to Miller publicly, but unfortunately I think it may be reflected in his performance.

What Tom Hardy performance? I felt like he was barely in the movie. I felt like all Theron got was a bunch of facial impressions acting, as well.

It was a fun popcorn flick, primarily for the non-stop action. No real plot. Nice effects and cinematography, for sure. But it was above average at best. Perhaps my hopes were too high. Lord knows they were way too low before all the raving positive reviews. As an overall movie, it was around an 8 or so.

Just got back from it. Two people told me they thought it was great. I thought it was good and all but kind of got tired of the whole car chase. I know that mad max is all about the cars and the world, and even though they really immersed me into the world, I would have liked to have seen more.

I give it a 7.5 out of 10

What Tom Hardy performance? I felt like he was barely in the movie. I felt like all Theron got was a bunch of facial impressions acting, as well.

It was a fun popcorn flick, primarily for the non-stop action. No real plot. Nice effects and cinematography, for sure. But it was above average at best. Perhaps my hopes were too high. Lord knows they were way too low before all the raving positive reviews. As an overall movie, it was around an 8 or so.

You know, in a way this was the perfect transitional vehicle for Hardy to become Max. He's now played the part while taking a back seat, readying him to be front & center in the next film. Probably a very smart move doing it this way.

You know, in a way this was the perfect transitional vehicle for Hardy to become Max. He's now played the part while taking a back seat, readying him to be front & center in the next film. Probably a very smart move doing it this way.

I'd call you a glass is half full man.

The weak link in the film is Max. Hardy is placed in mortal danger while bound & gagged so much, it gets ponderous. Is he going to wear bondage masks in every movie? I think the film wanted only for his castration. Isn't that the scene the movie's internal promise failed to achieve? Oh wait, they gave that honorable indignity to the female lead: the one armed Furiosa, who didn't just steal the film, she became the physical representation of Max's disembodied . That subverts the entire envy complex.

The weak link in the film is Max. Hardy is placed in mortal danger while bound & gagged so much, it gets ponderous. Is he going to wear bondage masks in every movie? I think the film wanted only for his castration. Isn't that the scene the movie's internal promise failed to achieve? Oh wait, they gave that honorable indignity to the female lead: the one armed Furiosa, who didn't just steal the film, she became the physical representation of Max's disembodied . That subverts the entire envy complex.

I agree with Bob. If their intention was to give people time to transition between Gibson and Hardy interpretations, this is the perfect way to do it - make a Mad Max movie where Max is almost indiscernible from Gibson's max and put in a distraction (like Theron) that is strong enough to carry the movie.

I'm betting Hardy get's a MUCH larger road in the next sequel and will be much better accepted as Max, although he didn't do too bad this time around in his limited role.

I agree with Bob. If their intention was to give people time to transition between Gibson and Hardy interpretations, this is the perfect way to do it - make a Mad Max movie where Max is almost indiscernible from Gibson's max and put in a distraction (like Theron) that is strong enough to carry the movie.

I'm betting Hardy get's a MUCH larger road in the next sequel and will be much better accepted as Max, although he didn't do too bad this time around in his limited role.

i think right now WB and Miller are in a postion that they can make franchise universe. we can have the main movies with mad max exploring the wastland and have a spin off movies with (theron) character. their are so many characters in this world, that i can see this movie becoming almost like james bond in the future having different actors play the character with some great stories.

i think right now WB and Miller are in a postion that they can make franchise universe. we can have the main movies with mad max exploring the wastland and have a spin off movies with (theron) character. their are so many characters in this world, that i can see this movie becoming almost like james bond in the future having different actors play the character with some great stories.

I enjoyed it, and think a trilogy would be neat. BUT I don't think you can go james bond style, I don't think the audiences can go watch a desert movie every 3 years indefinitely. There's just not enough opportunities for set/locale changes, and the desert cars would get tired after a while. Not enough opportunities for visual variety to keep people interested.

Hey Guys,

The excitement and wonder this movie evoked is a rare thing for me. As an artist, I am also mesmerized by the behind the scenes vision, approach and process. I really do think this film will inspire a whole new generation of up & coming film-makers (relished, reviewed & discussed for years to come).

-Michael

great article...

Do You Realize Mad Max: Fury Road Is A Miracle?

http://io9.com/do-you-realize-mad-max-fury-road-is-a-miracle-1707000166

P.S. - Mad Max : Fury Road :: 70 year old director, George Miller, provided his wife (Film Editor) Margaret Sixel, over 480 hours of footage to create this film. The final edit ran 120 minutes and consisted of 2700 individual shots. That’s 2700 consecutive decisions that flowed smoothly and immersed the viewer. How awesome is that?

Saw this film last night.

I should stop reading threads like these before seeing a film. I had high expectations walking in to the movie but was disappointed.

I thought the movie was way too over the top. Just far to much done for the shock value, that it was very "Joel Schumacher" in my opinion.

-the weird look of the main bad guy

-the over sized foot tied up with ropes

-strange guys in white with the spray painted mouths

-the rock stage on wheels that also has a flame thrower in the guitar

-the grotesque mother's and the milk

Even though it is the very same director, I feel he has forgotten something important about the Mad Max universe: Fuel/ gasoline is an extremely precious commodity. From Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior you had a compound with walls that manufactured gasoline and that was the whole reason you had the Humongous and his bad guys surrounding the place/ attacking the place. The bad guys wanted the gas. The whole premise of the film was to have the residents of the compound escape with the precious fuel.

This new movie has a rock stage with speakers and drums and a ridiculous guitar player in a gas guzzling vehicle chase. Just way to over the top for my tastes.

I was entertained, but it was a very average film.