• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Can anyone point to some sales on GPA that reflect a consistent and/or quantifiable "discount" or "premium" either way, because I sure do not see any (and never have). (shrug)

It truly seems to be more myth that is rooted in individual personal preference and/or bias than actual fact.

-J.

Using three recent examples, there is a bit of a discount on the lower page quality books:

Greg's 4.0 copy sold at $3900 with slightly brittle pages:

http://www.gregreececomics.com/Comics/BRAVE_AND_THE_BOLD_28_CGC_4_0_SB_PAGES

There was a recent sale on eBay for a 3.5 with C-OW for $3750.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-The-Bold-28-1st-Justice-League-of-America-CGC-3-5-CREAM-OW-Pgs-/311355831454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487e40f49e

According to GPA, the most recent 4.0 sale of $4327 was for an OW-W copy in March (2 months ago and before the recent price run up - that is looking like a good deal now).

My guess is that the 4.0 with OW-W would sell for closer to $5000, possibly more, in the current market due to the page quality.

You are wasting your time with him. You can try, Rick tried, I have tried, others have tried. He won't budge on it.

So in other news Flash ended yesterday and some really fun events!

Can anyone point to some sales on GPA that reflect a consistent and/or quantifiable "discount" or "premium" either way, because I sure do not see any (and never have). (shrug)

It truly seems to be more myth that is rooted in individual personal preference and/or bias than actual fact.

-J.

Using three recent examples, there is a bit of a discount on the lower page quality books:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-The-Bold-28-1st-Justice-League-of-America-CGC-3-5-CREAM-OW-Pgs-/311355831454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487e40f49e

According to GPA, the most recent 4.0 sale of $4327 was for an OW-W copy in March (2 months ago and before the recent price run up - that is looking like a good deal now).

My guess is that the 4.0 with OW-W would sell for closer to $5000, possibly more, in the current market due to the page quality.

You are wasting your time with him. You can try, Rick tried, I have tried, others have tried. He won't budge on it.

You're right. I won't budge because it is non existent. Please ask me to pull out some data points for this book in grade. Just ask me. You know they're there. And you know they will (once again) disprove the existence of any "premium" or "discount" either way.

It's such an easy myth to debunk with publicly available data points. Anytime you want. Just ask. I'm ready. (thumbs u

-J.

If you offer the same book with a similar appearance but very different PQ at the same time the book with better PQ would sell for more.

011-1.jpg

bra1.3410a_zpsgt1wsgsk.jpg

013.jpg

bra1.3410b_zpsestbeepf.jpg

Imagine If these 2 books were at auction at the same time. Bomber Bob's copy and the current copy up at CC. The book with the better PQ would absolutely destroy the other book. (And this is such a great example of buying the book and not the grade.)

I'm not entirely convinced the difference in appearances of those two books has more to do with the photography/scanner quality than with reality.

Also, it's "page QUALITY" not "page colour". Therefore you cannot conceivably assess such of a book merely by sight. (thumbs u

-J.

I can't say what "should" or shouldn't happen. There are myriad factors that can influence the final hammer price of a book, including but not limited to the sales venue itself. There is absolutely nothing absolute about any of it. That has always been my one and only real contention. (thumbs u

-J.

I can't say what "should" or shouldn't happen. There are myriad factors that can influence the final hammer price of a book, including but not limited to the sales venue itself. There is absolutely nothing absolute about any of it. That has always been my one and only real contention. (thumbs u

-J.

I would pay 25 to 50% more for the 28 with white pages. It just looks better overall. (thumbs u

-J.

I would pay 25 to 50% more for the 28 with white pages. It just looks better overall. (thumbs u

That's great. But would it hurt your feelings if someone paid the same price (or even more) for the other book or one like it the next day or week on ebay? :baiting:

Because that happens all the time.

-J.

-J.

That's great. But would it hurt your feelings if someone paid the same price (or even more) for the other book or one like it the next day or week on ebay? :baiting:

Because that happens all the time.

-J.

Absolutely not. It would make me feel better knowing that I got the better bargain (so to speak) since both books were priced the same.

-J.

You're right. I won't budge because it is non existent. Please ask me to pull out some data points for this book in grade. Just ask me. You know they're there. And you know they will (once again) disprove the existence of any "premium" or "discount" either way.

It's such an easy myth to debunk with publicly available data points. Anytime you want. Just ask. I'm ready. (thumbs u

-J.

Just like I can find points where Marvel Chipping sold for more than a book without. A book with tape sold for more than a book without. A book in a 4.0 sold for more than a 4.5.

Once again nothing matters as I can find data points to support any claim.

Edited by iceman399

I'm not entirely convinced the difference in appearances of those two books has more to do with the photography/scanner quality than with reality.

Also, it's "page QUALITY" not "page colour". Therefore you cannot conceivably assess such of a book merely by sight. (thumbs u

-J.

It's Jaydog vs. the universe on this one. :D

I usually stop reading when you bring this up, but has anyone ever agreed with you that PQ has no effect on price?

On second thought, never mind because I'm not likely to read your answer. :D

-J.

-J.

Just like I can find points where Marvel Chipping sold for more than a book without. A book with tape sold for more than a book without. A book in a 4.0 sold for more than a 4.5.

Once again nothing matters as I can find data points to support any claim.

I agree. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I usually stop reading when you bring this up, but has anyone ever agreed with you that PQ has no effect on price?

On second thought, never mind because I'm not likely to read your answer. :D

Yes. (thumbs u

And I don't need anyone to "agree" with me in a thread on the subject. I'm completely at ease allowing the actual data points to validate my position. :cloud9:

-J.

"When one becomes so entrenched in their position of debate, pride alone blinds him to reason."

- Jacques Cherez hm

You are wasting your time with him. You can try, Rick tried, I have tried, others have tried. He won't budge on it. doh!

"When one becomes so entrenched in their position of debate, pride alone blinds him to reason."

- Jacques Cherez hm

You are wasting your time with him. You can try, Rick tried, I have tried, others have tried. He won't budge on it. doh!

Sure won't.

I like deferring to actual data. :cloud9:

Crazy me. :insane:

-J.

-J.

Jaydog, even though you dissed my BB28 with claims of photography tricks, notice I did not take the bait. :acclaim:

You only like to reference data when it works in your favor. While debating the value of some 10 cent DC keys I presented the CGC census data to back my point. In that case, when the data did not work in your favor, you dismissed it claiming something about it not being relevant. (shrug)

-J.

Jaydog, even though you dissed my BB28 with claims of photography tricks, notice I did not take the bait. :acclaim:

You only like to reference data when it works in your favor. While debating the value of some 10 cent DC keys I presented the CGC census data to back my point. In that case, when the data did not work in your favor, you dismissed it claiming something about it not being relevant. (shrug)

I've never "dissed" anybody's book. That makes all the differnce in the world in our approaches actually. I am not attempting to make people feel their books are "inferior" for any particular reason. There is a buyer for every book and budget. I alluded that the differences in the "appearances" of your book and the other one at auction could be the result of the scanner (again, not that anyone can divine the "page QUALITY" of a book from a picture). I actually complimented your book earlier in the thread. I suppose you missed that. And I don't recall dismissing any data points you provided. I don't need to do that. There is a counter data point for any one you can muster. That is basically the entire point. It's random and erratic. Hence, once again, why there is no consistent or quantifiable alleged "premium" that can be proven based solely on the so-called "PQ" that CGC decides to put on a label on any given day. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I've never "dissed" anybody's book. That makes all the differnce in the world in our approaches actually. I am not attempting to make people feel their books are "inferior" for any particular reason. There is a buyer for every book and budget. I alluded that the differences in the "appearances" of your book and the other one at auction could be the result of the scanner (again, not that anyone can divine the "page QUALITY" of a book from a picture). I actually complimented your book earlier in the thread. I suppose you missed that. And I don't recall dismissing any data points you provided. I don't need to do that. There is a counter data point for any one you can muster. That is basically the entire point. It's random and erratic. Hence, once again, why there is no consistent or quantifiable alleged "premium" that can be proven based solely on the so-called "PQ" that CGC decides to put on a label on any given day. (thumbs u

-J.

Jaydog, I recall seeing your copy of an FF 48 in a different thread (nice copy BTW). It was a White Pager and you commented that you bought it because the colors really popped. The fact that the colors popped is a reflection of the preservation. Going hand in hand with that is the fact that it was also a White Pager. A white pager = better preservation = other enhanced qualities = more attractive book = higher demand = higher price.

I think you are a closet White Page lover ! :baiting:

-J.

-J.

Jaydog, I recall seeing your copy of an FF 48 in a different thread (nice copy BTW). It was a White Pager and you commented that you bought it because the colors really popped. The fact that the colors popped is a reflection of the preservation. Going hand in hand with that is the fact that it was also a White Pager. A white pager = better preservation = other enhanced qualities = more attractive book = higher demand = higher price.

I think you are a closet White Page lover ! :baiting:

Thanks Bob! But would you believe that I didn't even notice that the book had "white pages" on the label until after I had already purchased the book and received it in the mail ? :insane:

And yes, in theory everything that you are saying does "sound" like it should be right. But in reality, I have seen books with "white pages" on the label to have some edge tanning on the cover. To the extent that someone even asked if the "PQ" on the label applied to the covers as well. The consensus was that it does. The price of the book really is determined more by a book's overall eye appeal more than anything else, and certainly more than the "PQ" on the label, which would explain why book's with "white pages" on the label and marvel chipping will tend under perform a book with something else on the label and straight edges. Even that is not an absolute however, as not much ever is. (thumbs u

-J.