• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

Does this book look familiar to any of you? I'll explain my reasons later.

image.jpg1_zpsuvyqqung.jpg

am I mistaken or is that the one from facebook?

Yes, it is the one from Facebook. My reason for posting it in this thread and on these boards is the hope that someone will recognize owning the book at one time or another. I'm doing this to try to prove that the book sold to an LCS recently was a restored copy.

restored and the person tried to pass it off as universal

That's my line of thinking anyway.

Have an update for you guys. Another local guy posted on the Facebook page that he saw the book in person at the shop. When he saw it he told them it was a fake but they apparently didn't believe him. He said the book had a reproduction cover on it. They (the shop) have already sent the book to CGC for reholdering. Something tells me that when they crack the book out and open the cover they're going to find a worthless book in there. And they supposedly paid $6,000 in cash for it. :facepalm:

$6,000 for an AF 15 4.0????? What store offers 46% of guide for a red hot Silver age mega key. They either knew it was restored and were taking a shot at it coming back blue label or are of the highest order not thinking it suspicious that they took so much less than the value of the book

Ed Zachary (exactly).

Anyone not selling their AF 15 these days?

Something I don't know...?

Mine are not for sale - would like to get another though sometime in the future

I'm waiting for the book to get hot

Does this book look familiar to any of you? I'll explain my reasons later.

image.jpg1_zpsuvyqqung.jpg

am I mistaken or is that the one from facebook?

Yes, it is the one from Facebook. My reason for posting it in this thread and on these boards is the hope that someone will recognize owning the book at one time or another. I'm doing this to try to prove that the book sold to an LCS recently was a restored copy.

restored and the person tried to pass it off as universal

That's my line of thinking anyway.

Have an update for you guys. Another local guy posted on the Facebook page that he saw the book in person at the shop. When he saw it he told them it was a fake but they apparently didn't believe him. He said the book had a reproduction cover on it. They (the shop) have already sent the book to CGC for reholdering. Something tells me that when they crack the book out and open the cover they're going to find a worthless book in there. And they supposedly paid $6,000 in cash for it. :facepalm:

$6,000 for an AF 15 4.0????? What store offers 46% of guide for a red hot Silver age mega key. They either knew it was restored and were taking a shot at it coming back blue label or are of the highest order not thinking it suspicious that they took so much less than the value of the book

Ed Zachary (exactly).

I was the first person in that Facebook group to call it a fake, label and holder was a dead giveaway. I'm not bragging by any means, I'm simply invested in this book being exposed for what it is. My question is, when CGC returns this book (ungraded) will they return that counterfeit label? I sincerely hope they do not.

I just noticed a Voldemort graded AF15 on ebay. It's remaindered and it still graded at 1.5. I don't think I've ever seen CGC grade a remaindered copy for more than 1.0. Does this seem slightly odd to anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CBCS-1-5-Off-White-Paper-1st-App-Spider-Man/311357860331?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30986%26meid%3D01be91e88aa844deba2e96d323286068%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D281511780335

They have different grading standards than CGC - I had one book come back lower and a couple of books graded with more leniency.

I just noticed a Voldemort graded AF15 on ebay. It's remaindered and it still graded at 1.5. I don't think I've ever seen CGC grade a remaindered copy for more than 1.0. Does this seem slightly odd to anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CBCS-1-5-Off-White-Paper-1st-App-Spider-Man/311357860331?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30986%26meid%3D01be91e88aa844deba2e96d323286068%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D281511780335

I spoke to CGC when I had my AF 15 remainder graded. He said that the highest possible grade a remainder can get under CGC is a 1.8. Most however come back 0.5 (as mine did).

One of my AF 15's is a CGC .5 with the coupon cut out of the back cover only There was a similar one on the boards that came back cgc 1.0 . Both are really nice copies too. Might resubmit

Yeah, but if Voldemort is handing out 1.5s for remaindered copies are you temped to use that service?

Edited by gadzukes

One of my AF 15's is a CGC .5 with the coupon cut out of the back cover only There was a similar one on the boards that came back cgc 1.0 . Both are really nice copies too. Might resubmit

Yeah, but if Voldemort is handing out 1.5s for remaindered copies are you temped to use that service?

CGC gives out up to a 1.8 on remaindered copies...

I would do the price math. CGC still commands a premium in market, but if you can get a substantially higher grade it might be worth it to have it entombed by evil.

I wouldn't do this - but I suppose someone could.

I would do the price math. CGC still commands a premium in market, but if you can get a substantially higher grade it might be worth it to have it entombed by evil.

Market still rules. I highly doubt a remaindered 1.5 is going to command a regular 1.5 price. The seller is asking an insane 5,800 for this book (that's 400 more than the 90 day GPA and 600 more than the 12 month GPA) It's not going anywhere. So you could label that book a 9.0 and it still isn't going to sell more than for a .5 price because that's what this book is.

Also I think my .5 looks nicer than there 1.5. Less damage on the spine and no writing on the back. Just the M.K at the top of the first page.

17517787798_9b16b6a1e4_b.jpg

A remaindered copy should not be allowed to have a 1.8 grade. That's insane. I think 1.0 should be the limit.

A remaindered copy should not be allowed to have a 1.8 grade. That's insane. I think 1.0 should be the limit.

I agree for the most part. Absolutes are hard to abide by when comic vary so greatly within a grade, but I think a ceiling of 1.0ish makes the most sense.

However, there are copies that are graded up to a 1.8. Not sure if they command a higher price but there seems to be compression at the half point marks in general so I doubt it ends up being that big of a difference.

Market still rules. I highly doubt a remaindered 1.5 is going to command a regular 1.5 price. The seller is asking an insane 5,800 for this book (that's 400 more than the 90 day GPA and 600 more than the 12 month GPA) It's not going anywhere. So you could label that book a 9.0 and it still isn't going to sell more than for a .5 price because that's what this book is.

Also I think my .5 looks nicer than there 1.5. Less damage on the spine and no writing on the back. Just the M.K at the top of the first page.

To me books like this are great restoration candidate. That .5 could very well be 6.0 or better with resto. That price difference would easily make up for the cost of the Restoration.

To me books like this are great restoration candidate. That .5 could very well be 6.0 or better with resto. That price difference would easily make up for the cost of the Restoration.

Yeah, but try finding the "mast head" for AF15 at an affordable price. It's pretty tough (I've been looking for years because I have a remaindered copy). I believe if you use a color copy for the resto CGC slaps an "incomplete" on the label and seriously down grades it.

FYI - my AF 15 7.0 is now with the Metro guys. Alas…I am no longer a part of this awesome club. :( But look for it in the August CC event auction! (Along with my Bat 1, 2.5 !!!)

--Racer-X

FYI - my AF 15 7.0 is now with the Metro guys. Alas…I am no longer a part of this awesome club. :( But look for it in the August CC event auction! (Along with my Bat 1, 2.5 !!!)

--Racer-X

woah those are two mega keys congrats

--Racer-X

woah those are two mega keys congrats

Most definitely (worship) I've consigned a few high dollar books with CC and have always been pleased with the results. You should do fine.