• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Max - Fury Road - 2015

230 posts in this topic

o.k. I know there is already a Mad Max thread, but I must be missing something...

Almost to the point that I feel like I didn't see the same movie that everyone else is raving about.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie - it just takes a lot more in my opinion to be great...

This movie reminds me of something like Avatar where the presentation is very beautiful and the shots were grand and the stunts/special effects were smoking!...

I just don't think there was a strong plot and that's HUGE when trying to paint a movie a classic. Yes I know, that they were just trying to find something better, but there was hardly any character development and with that there isn't any emotional investment in any of the characters. That's what makes classic movies.

Take the pretty decorative film making away and this movie would be surely doomed.

For example look at the 80's Mad Max like Road Warriors and there is plenty of character development and hardly none of the flash that was in this movie...

There was the guy that flew the mini-copter, mad max, the dog boy, hell even the villain with assless chaps had more depth to offer than any of these new characters.

So paint me in the minority.

I give this movie a fun pop corn rating of 6.5–7 out of 10 which is generous since this is basically an action chase movie with tons of style, but unfortunately no depth.

+1,000,000

It was good, but certainty wasn't the masterpiece it was made out to be.

People must really be bored with super hero movies by the praise this is getting.

Once again it was good, but no way a 98 percent Rotten Tomatoes is giving it.

Myself, this was the movie that has made me be tired of blockbuster movies. :sick:

I had just done three weekends of back to back blockbusters with Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Mad Max .

As I was watching Mad Max I realized to myself that these movies are basically all the same smash ems ups like a video game.

I rather play a video game than watch a video game.

Once again Mad Max was a good movie, but no way is it great.

I think it`s being praised because people are getting sick of superhero movies, and with Mad Max although is basically the same thing did have a R rating which some adults want.

The adults want their action to be a little more violent than the generic family oriented movie.

So yeah Mad Max a good movie, but it`s not something I would qualify as a masterpiece.

Guardians of The Galaxy, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and X-Men: Days of Future Past were so much better. IMHO.

o.k. I know there is already a Mad Max thread, but I must be missing something...

Almost to the point that I feel like I didn't see the same movie that everyone else is raving about.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie - it just takes a lot more in my opinion to be great...

This movie reminds me of something like Avatar where the presentation is very beautiful and the shots were grand and the stunts/special effects were smoking!...

I just don't think there was a strong plot and that's HUGE when trying to paint a movie a classic. Yes I know, that they were just trying to find something better, but there was hardly any character development and with that there isn't any emotional investment in any of the characters. That's what makes classic movies.

Take the pretty decorative film making away and this movie would be surely doomed.

For example look at the 80's Mad Max like Road Warriors and there is plenty of character development and hardly none of the flash that was in this movie...

There was the guy that flew the mini-copter, mad max, the dog boy, hell even the villain with assless chaps had more depth to offer than any of these new characters.

I give this movie a fun pop corn rating of 6.5–7 out of 10 which is generous since this is basically an action chase movie with tons of style, but unfortunately no depth.

+1,000,000

People must really be bored with super hero movies by the praise this is getting.

Myself, this was the movie that has made me be tired of blockbuster movies. :sick:

I had just done three weekends of back to back blockbusters with Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Mad Max .

As I was watching Mad Max I realized to myself that these movies are basically all the same smash ems ups like a video game.

I think it`s being praised because people are getting sick of superhero movies, and with Mad Max although is basically the same thing did have a R rating which some adults want.

The adults want their action to be a little more violent than the generic family oriented movie.

So yeah Mad Max a good movie, but it`s not something I would qualify as a masterpiece.

Guardians of The Galaxy, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and X-Men: Days of Future Past were so much better. IMHO.

Ditto!

Didn't knock my socks off. It was good, not great. I went in with high expectations and it didn't come close to meeting them. I don't understand the 98% critics and 92% user ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Waaay overrated!

+1,000,000

Awesome new perspective on it's overall theme that probably mostly won over critics from a Concord, NH newspaper editor a little north of you. (thumbs u

Mad Max's Allegory

Here's what a 98% is all about...

This scene highlights a lot of emotion. In Fury everyone was stripped of that...

Notice the dog gets scared once Max had to turn of the juice meaning "here come the bad guys" - Brilliant!!!!

Hah! even Max's dog had more personality than anyone in Fury Road!

I'll just stick to the classics!

:cloud9:

Some of the reasons I consider this a classic:

1) it doesn't bother with plot or excessive character development. It skips dialogue or offers unintelligible Aussie accents.

2) the feminism.

1) it doesn't bother with plot or excessive character development. It skips dialogue or offers unintelligible Aussie accents.

2) the feminism.

and that's awesome brother, I know I'm in the minority...

so folks that love this stuff can rejoice because with the success of this movie

Mad Max 5 and 6 are a given. So enjoy!

I guess I'm just a little spoiled over watching the DareDevil Show where they had so much character development that you even cared for villain Kingpin even though you knew he was evil! Now that's friggin' awesome!

2) the feminism.

Surprised, none of the film buffs haven't pointed this out yet.

George Miller has been experimenting with this theme for thirty years, first with 'Thunderdome' (the whole Auntie character who is Thunderdome's Governor. Let's face it, Tina Turner didn't need another hero. The girl who led the rebellion with the Lord of the Flies), secondly with 'The Witches of Eastwick' and then with Babe (voice actress playing main character-RIP, the surrogate mother-dog, etc).

Any movie that can hold my attention for 2 hours and make my jaw drop throughout is an amazing piece of work to me.

As a teen, when I discovered Moebius with Arzach in Heavy Metal - no words, story done with pictures... to me it was a masterpiece. My friends were all spoiled by Marvel Comics and how everything was over pontificated and everything was spelled out for them (much like most big budget moves today).. which is all good... it just made me realize there are different ways to present art.

To like these characters, with the minimal amount of dialogue... that's great story telling. I learned as much about them through my own observation and analysis as I did anything I was told in the movie through dialogue or narration.

I like that.

To like these characters, with the minimal amount of dialogue... that's great story telling. I learned as much about them through my own observation and analysis as I did anything I was told in the movie through dialogue or narration.

I like that.

I didn't hear any complaining about Wall-E doing this. Maybe Under The Skin. lol

2) the feminism.

and that's awesome brother, I know I'm in the minority...

so folks that love this stuff can rejoice because with the success of this movie

Mad Max 5 and 6 are a given. So enjoy!

I guess I'm just a little spoiled over watching the DareDevil Show where they had so much character development that you even cared for villain Kingpin even though you knew he was evil! Now that's friggin' awesome!

Yo nerf, I'm really friggin hard to please with tv shows & movies. I hate tv shows & movies. To me, they all really suck. Typically I sleep during them.

DD was brilliant. I have very high hopes for Marvel's Netflix efforts.

There Will Be Blood was the last movie I liked as much as MMFR -- though I have a soft spot for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Watched Mad Max last night, I thought it was awesome and give it around 8.5/10.

I maybe went in with too high expectations after reading all the 10/10 reviews. The film looked amazing colour wise, there was dialogue and the plot was thin but it was an amazing chase movie!

This is the best film I've seen at the cinema this year so far, totally surpasses Furious 7 and Age of Ultron.

RT has just about lost all credibility now...

They have Melissa McCarthy's goofball looking "Spy" currently at 100%!

:tonofbricks:

metacritic at 84 - looks legit

sorry but that is just white noise ot me now because metacritic had Mad Max rated high too...

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

What am I missing here??? this looks like the female version of friggin' Mall Cop!

Maybe half these critics are out west in Denver getting high as Balls before critiquing these flicks???

lol

Saw it yesterday. It was entertaining enough.

But I left the theatre neither here nor there about it.

And that guitar player throughout the movie seriously grated on my nerves. It took me out of it whenever he appeared.