• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,115 posts in this topic

And... who scored in the Pedigree auction tonight? I won three, the #20, the #31 and... the #7. I'm really interested in seeing the #7 in hand as it really looks like a 9.4 to me- especially when compared to some of the other #7s out there.

The Daredevils in this auction were great, so hopefully everyone scored some beauts.

I now need 3.5 books for the full 1-157 set: #1, (.2 points on the #7 in a resub,) #66 and #86. Chapeau to whoever won the #66 today.

I picked up two DDs from the collection and for very cheap.

1) Daredevil #45 VF- 7.5 White Canarsie Collection

2) Daredevil #58 QUALIFIED NM 9.4 White Canarsie Collection (popped staple but for what I paid for it...who cares!)

Congrats on that #7!

Congrats to both of you!

Am just seeing this so thought I would volunteer that I picked two DDs as well, both from the Canarsie Collection:

1) Daredevil #22 cgc 9.6

2) Daredevil #66 cgc 9.4

I'm especially happy with the 22:

You got the #66 as well? Congrats! I was the under-bidder on that so I'm happy to see it went to a nice home.

Hey Rob - thanks for that. It's a place holder until I find a nice 9.6 so I'd be happy to sell it to you then if you still need it.

-Mike

Good to know. For all I know it'll end up being the last book in my set.

Super nice copies since I last looked at this thread.

Congratulations on the #1-105!

I've been steadily picking away at my high grade set as well. I think I have about 50 to go. Some are pretty expensive, but for the most part I am finding that they just don't turn up that often.

The last couple of cons I went to also disappointed in the quality of copies I have been seeing.

Man a little family time and a short fly-fishing trip and the DD thread has some real gems posted in it!!

Rob - CONGRATS ON YOUR SWEET #7!!! :applause:

Anxious to hear how she looks in hand and see if any defects are press worthy for you.

Mike that #22 is about as picture perfect as the come!!! :applause:

Side note, finally had to download the DD main title score as my text tone.

Just love it so much! I still have one episode left and I'm trying so hard to not watch it and save it. It is fricken killing me!

Rob - CONGRATS ON YOUR SWEET #7!!! :applause:

Anxious to hear how she looks in hand and see if any defects are press worthy for you.

I'm excited. I'm cool with it as a 9.2, but I'm hoping it can make the leap. We'll see.

Leap or not, that scan presents one VERY nice 9.2 Rob!!

Yeah, that's the thing about it. It looks great for a 9.2. For example, I prefer this straight up to the... Western Penn 9.4? I think that's the one with visible spine stress. And for half the price?

:banana:

Still :wishluck:

Yeah, that's the thing about it. It looks great for a 9.2. For example, I prefer this straight up to the... Western Penn 9.4? I think that's the one with visible spine stress. And for half the price?

I wonder if it was recently slabbed under the (ever cyclical) current "tite like tigah" cgc regime.

If so, that makes your book more so a very technically strict 9.2 grade imho of receiving a lot of books a few weeks, than reading and talking to other recipients of uber tight "fingerprints present" grades.

(Did the Western Penn go back to a 9.4? Last I knew it went from a 9.4 when in it left Josh and a 9.6 upon Doug owning it)

I wonder if it was recently slabbed under the (ever cyclical) current "tite like tigah" cgc regime.

If so, that makes your book more so a very technically strict 9.2 grade imho of receiving a lot of books a few weeks, than reading and talking to other recipients of uber tight "fingerprints present" grades.

(Did the Western Penn go back to a 9.4? Last I knew it went from a 9.4 when in it left Josh and a 9.6 upon Doug owning it)

Wasn't Doug's book a PC (there are two.) Josh sold the higher grade WP copy (there are two) about 9 years ago (listed for 18k?) That's the book with the crappy (for a 9.4) spine.

This book came back from CGC a couple of weeks before the auction started so it might be the same thing you saw with your books.

That DD #7 9.2 is amazing. Forget the .2 instead of the .4 in the top left corner of a plastic case. :makepoint:

I'm super jealous I don't own it, but like I said - I'm glad it went to a true DD fan and collector like you Rob. Enjoy it! :cool:

Justin I can if it is a soft grade, I would not care one iota (as you personally know from my one #1;) but if it is a coveted book like this, in someone's possession who is not a a flipper/One of the most respectful DD fans around.... and than the actual copy is plausibly strictly graded - I get excited for them :)

Oh, I know. I'm agreeing with you. I feel like Rob is being a little bit down on the book that it's NOT a 9.4 and wishing it was. I'm just trying to be positive about it. That book is terrific and probably the nicest copy I've seen albeit with a lot less experience than you guys.

But I understand. I'm looking at Rob's set again now and it IS tough when you have all 9.4's and above and this is a lonely 9.2. I fully get that mentality. It's crazy when you think about "upgrading" from a perfect looking 9.6 to book that doesn't even look as nice, but it's a 9.8.

I get that the ".2" of a difference is significant. I guess I'm just trying to be positive and hope Rob can look past the book not being a 9.4. That is why I was saying that I'm jealous. That book is terrific and if a 9.4 ever does pop up that he wants, I'll be first in line to buy the 9.2. :)

Final point:

Eric, you know how :insane: I was during my hunt for my DD #1. I REALLY wanted a 9.4 just to have that "NM" designation. I feel like at the time I was settling with a 9.2 and that "-" sign after NM bothered me a little bit and I was trying to decide between saving money with a 9.0 or going for the 9.2. :juggle:

I completely understand the crazy things we do as collectors and focusing on a .2 difference can feel :frustrated: . I just hope my original post was seen as it was intended to be - positive - don't lose sight of the fact you just won an amazing book because of a .2 on a case. I wasn't downplaying Rob's feelings about a 9.2 vs. a 9.4. Just trying to be positive.

I love the book. It's a great copy, whatever the number in the corner says. It's better than at least one and maybe two of the 9.4s that I've seen. I'm psyched and i paid a comfortable price. I bid higher ($3100) for the Twin Cities copy (which has a color breaking crease.) so this book is awesome.

That said, and this is where some of the idea that I'm down on the book comes in- to me, the book looks like a 9.3. The kind of book that could get a 9.4 even on a pure resub. I know this fact gets people bent out of shape, but the CGC graders are human and tweener books have to go one way or another. Sometimes they go down. Sometimes they go up. I definitely think (based on the scan) the book could go 9.4 very easily (even without pressable defects). So, that possibility is something that I've been thinking about since I saw the scans. If it doesn't turn out that way that's fine since it's a phenomenal copy.

I definitely bought the book and not the label- with the idea that maybe the label is wrong.

Justin - I totally knew and understand where you were coming from my man. :headbang:

Your passion, genuineness and kindness towards everyone and everything DD is so fricken nice to have here.

Your presence in this DD thread aids in making this thread, one of the nicest/best threads to scroll through and contribute in :applause:

Glad DD is your fav character! (thumbs u