• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million
2 2

701 posts in this topic

I never said he was nuts! To someone with 4b that may be a fine price to pay. But I've yet to find the 4 billion under my couch cushions :(

If you want $4B, you look under the settee! Only someone gauche would use a couch.

I'd take Warhols over a bunch of Koons or Rothko's. But thats just me.

But if I had 80 million to blow I think would get a huge batch of OA and some Mile Highs runs. Then buy maybe a small island and build some real life size working Transformers.

Edited by Rip

I never said he was nuts! To someone with 4b that may be a fine price to pay. But I've yet to find the 4 billion under my couch cushions :(

If you want $4B, you look under the settee! Only someone gauche would use a couch.

Good point! doh!

Met? Or your living room?

I find there's little difference between the two.

Put my money where my mouth is today and bought a nice Lichtenstein lithograph. I have one, but it was an inherited piece and I will likely sell it as this is the image I want on my wall. What is the piece? Its the poster for the 1965 Rueben Awards ceremony for the National Cartoonists Society. Looking back over this thread, I just think its interesting that in 1965, the NCS clearly wasn't at all miffed about how Lichtenstein was using comic panels in his work and in the midst of his most prolific period of utilizing comic book panels for what have become some of his most iconic images, they chose him to do the poster for what at that time was the most prestigious event in cartooning. I will post a copy when I get it, but I am sure you can all easily look it up. Its entitled "This Must be the Place" and has a small jetplane flying over a futuristic cityscape. I love the piece and will be happy to hang it up on my wall right next to a Kirby, Eisner , Davis, Crumb, McCay or Foster or a Picasso, Miro, Lautrec, Leger, Kandinsky or whatever else I have up (since I often move things around to change up the scenery in my home and my office) Hey, its all good!!

Benno (who likes to mix high and low and all points in between when it comes to art)

Thanks! That is the right image, but I bought a pencil signed copy of the lithographic poster that was actually used for the event. This version was published afterward by Leo Castelli Gallery who repped Lichtenstein at the time and did a separate edition. I wanted the whole image with the NCS Reuben award ceremony information on it.

Put my money where my mouth is today and bought a nice Lichtenstein lithograph. I have one, but it was an inherited piece and I will likely sell it as this is the image I want on my wall. What is the piece? Its the poster for the 1965 Rueben Awards ceremony for the National Cartoonists Society. Looking back over this thread, I just think its interesting that in 1965, the NCS clearly wasn't at all miffed...

I saw this listed on eBay a few weeks ago and thought the same exact thing.

NCS 1965 = no worries. Geekfest 2015 = hate all day long :insane:

Life is too short to get hung on fighting other's battles.

I think lichtenstein was an artist as well as Pollock.  Both put a lot of time, thought and energy into their work.  They didn't just spit on a canvas then head for a gallery.