• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I think that's the bottom line, isn't it? Regardless of what the print run was and how the book was released/distributed, there aren't that many available NOW and people are paying insane money because they want it NOW. Will it crash someday for some reason (most likely a case found in a warehouse)? Yes, but that could be true with anything that commands this dollar amount, as has been pointed out by several people.

please lead me to this obscure warehouse thats holding various comic books and being paid by a millionaire hoarder(of valuable comic books)...

http://www.diamondcomics.com/home/1/1/3/306

just called them... they close 1730 Eastern standard time...

Ill call them tomorrow; I want to pick up their back stock...

Ill let you guys know what happens...

Does diamond even own the stock or do they just inventory. So where do people think unsold inventory goes? Or do you live in a world where there is no excess inventory?

I used to buy 100 copies of a issue on ebay... Then I stopped collecting... I no longer see those types of listings... I would love to buy issues by the box...

I think that's the bottom line, isn't it? Regardless of what the print run was and how the book was released/distributed, there aren't that many available NOW and people are paying insane money because they want it NOW. Will it crash someday for some reason (most likely a case found in a warehouse)? Yes, but that could be true with anything that commands this dollar amount, as has been pointed out by several people.

please lead me to this obscure warehouse thats holding various comic books and being paid by a millionaire hoarder(of valuable comic books)...

Does diamond even own the stock or do they just inventory. So where do people think unsold inventory goes? Or do you live in a world where there is no excess inventory?

Gaps in understanding of the industry, but no corresponding humility, either.

:(

I see no reason to actually prove anything most of the time. Even when I do, I don't prove what I think I'm proving. (thumbs u

-J.

Fixed.

meh

:gossip: RMA is that you ? lol

-J.

Jay, you make claims all the time that you never prove.

Much, much worse than that, you become dismissive and demeaning when others disagree with your assertions, while failing to provide any documentary evidence of your numbers.

Other people provide mountains of proof, of all sorts of things, and you reject it.

Just prove what you're claiming. That's all. If what you say is true, then you should be able to prove it, and easily, since clearly you have access to information.

That's all that's required.

Diamond invoices, Marvel orders, circulation officers, COAs, printer's affidavits...anything that will prove the print run of any of these books you're referring to.

Here's an example:

ultimate-spiderman-df-coa-330x500.jpg

That is documentary evidence that demonstrates that the print run for USM #1 DF was 5,000 copies. Now, it was probably more like 5,500, but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Anything that is proof of the print run for the ASM #678 variant would be fine.

I think everyone here knows (or should know) that retailer incentive variant numbers are not made public.

Then how do you make the claim that "only 500 were made", when various people have already told you that "Marvel doesn't really get out of bed for less than 1,000 to start"....?

So I use the term "ESTIMATED print run". (thumbs u

You haven't before. But it will be good to alter the language going forward.

"Estimates" must be based on knowledge, not guessing.

If you are making it clear that your number is an estimate, and you base it on 1. low census numbers, and 2. lack of marketplace availability, contrary to what you may think of my argument, those two sources are, in fact, valuable in the discussion.

The issue becomes then "how" valuable, and if you say "well, ok, I understand that there are limitations to these two sources, and they are only really a few pieces of a much larger picture, but they ARE pieces, and it's a start"....I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

And I do apologize if some of my statements seem flippant, but I do find this "controversy" to be rather spurious.

-J.

Much appreciated. It's ok to disagree...but being dismissive is a completely different beast.

:)

It's one of the good and bad things on these boards. Collectors from all walks of life. There can be interesting perspectives. The ironic part is that the vast majority seem to prioritize being right over learning. I blame it on the superhero comics. I've learned quite a bit on here and have shared my knowledge. Oh well, lead a horse to water.....

This thread is packing more heat than the actual ASM 678 Variant book :popcorn:

Maybe someone close to Marvel or Diamond can verify more or less the print run for this book. It would make more sense to me that they have a print run in the thousands. Just my opinion.

Let's go on..

There are books with print runs of 100 that sell for nothing. The Vampirella Royal Blues, for example. I just picked up 5 more copies of the Monthly #1 RB for $20 each.

That's 5% of the print run (a little less, if overage is taken into account.)

There are books with print runs of 10,000 that are monster successes, and there isn't enough to go around (Spiderman #1 Platinum, for example, or Venom #1 Gold.)

Supply and demand is supply AND demand. If the demand is overwhelming, 1,000,000 copies might not be enough (look at Superman #75....4 million+ copies, and $100 within a month.)

So, even if the print run for this book was 5,000...not saying it is, but if it was....and there were 100,000 people who wanted it....then yes, the prices could easily be thousands of dollars for it.

After all....there are still tens of thousands of copies of Hulk #181 still in existence, but look at the prices it brings.

It's one of the good and bad things on these boards. Collectors from all walks of life. There can be interesting perspectives. The ironic part is that the vast majority seem to prioritize being right over learning. I blame it on the superhero comics. I've learned quite a bit on here and have shared my knowledge. Oh well, lead a horse to water.....

Yes. And if someone knows what they're talking about, they are often dismissed as merely "someone on a comic collecting forum" who "just thinks they're always right." "Don't listen to him, he just argues for the sake of arguing."

Oh well. Bread and circuses for all.

This thread is packing more heat than the actual ASM 678 Variant book :popcorn:

Maybe someone close to Marvel or Diamond can verify more or less the print run for this book. It would make more sense to me that they have a print run in the thousands. Just my opinion.

Let's go on..

There are books with print runs of 100 that sell for nothing. The Vampirella Royal Blues, for example. I just picked up 5 more copies of the Monthly #1 RB for $20 each.

That's 5% of the print run (a little less, if overage is taken into account.)

There are books with print runs of 10,000 that are monster successes, and there isn't enough to go around (Spiderman #1 Platinum, for example, or Venom #1 Gold.)

Supply and demand is supply AND demand. If the demand is overwhelming, 1,000,000 copies might not be enough (look at Superman #75....4 million+ copies, and $100 within a month.)

So, even if the print run for this book was 5,000...not saying it is, but if it was....and there were 100,000 people who wanted it....then yes, the prices could easily be thousands of dollars for it.

After all....there are still tens of thousands of copies of Hulk #181 still in existence, but look at the prices it brings.

^^^ I agree with all of the above. (thumbs u

-J.

Or maybe they have a contract that if they work under Marvel that they cannot sell whatever complimentary comic book they receive. Just speculating, unsure of course but definitely a legit possibility.

Oh and I say this about all modern books like WD 1, Wolverine/Deadpool Campbell variant, etc that I would never pay the crazy money people are paying for them right now. I'd rather out it towards a GA, SA, or BA key because they have proven time and time again that it is the better buy for the money.

I recently sold my AF15 to pay off some debt and to start collecting these modern rare type issues. Yes the price is high now, but there is a possibility of a big payout 30 years from now (pure speculation of course). Supply drives price, so I decided to change gears and start collecting these kind of books.

They've held their value pretty well, some more than others yes, but I'll take the risk of a 'mystery box' sitting somewhere waiting to be found for a chance to have what could be considered modern era gold in 30 years.

Oh and Jaydog, call me when you want to sell that 667 lol I'm so jelly.

Jerome

Or maybe they have a contract that if they work under Marvel that they cannot sell whatever complimentary comic book they receive. Just speculating, unsure of course but definitely a legit possibility.

Oh and I say this about all modern books like WD 1, Wolverine/Deadpool Campbell variant, etc that I would never pay the crazy money people are paying for them right now. I'd rather out it towards a GA, SA, or BA key because they have proven time and time again that it is the better buy for the money.

I recently sold my AF15 to pay off some debt and to start collecting these modern rare type issues. Yes the price is high now, but there is a possibility of a big payout 30 years from now (pure speculation of course). Supply drives price, so I decided to change gears and start collecting these kind of books.

They've held their value pretty well, some more than others yes, but I'll take the risk of a 'mystery box' sitting somewhere waiting to be found for a chance to have what could be considered modern era gold in 30 years.

Jerome

Will do my man. But don't hold your breath....they may bury it with me. lol

And I agree, it is inevitable that some of these moderns will end up as and/or remain classic collectibles in the future. It's a must if there is to be a future for the hobby.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Jerome

And I agree, it is inevitable that some of these moderns will end up as and/or remain classic collectibles in the future. It's a must if there is to be a future for the hobby.

-J.

Sure, I'd love to see some of these modern books remain as classic collectibles. It's just that more people now are aware of how collectible these comics can be compared to years back. I just hope that this hobby will remain healthy in the next generation or so. I think that is what we all want.

We all have our opinions on certain books and arguments can happen trying to prove a point. When it's all said and done, you collect what you want and I collect what I want whether you take criticism from others of what you collect or how much you paid for a book.

Jerome

-J.

Sure, I'd love to see some of these modern books remain as classic collectibles. It's just that more people now are aware of how collectible these comics can be compared to years back. I just hope that this hobby will remain healthy in the next generation or so. I think that is what we all want.

We all have our opinions on certain books and arguments can happen trying to prove a point. When it's all said and done, you collect what you want and I collect what I want whether you take criticism from others of what you collect or how much you paid for a book.

Which is why I never discuss how much I have actually spent on comics. lol:insane:

-J.

Jerome

-J.

Which is why I never discuss how much I have actually spent on comics. lol:insane:

-J.

Chicken.

:shy:

Jerome

Jerome

-J.

-J.

Chicken.

:shy:

Jerome

Are you sure you are worst than me :insane:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spiderman-678-Venom-variant-CGC-96-SS-STAN-LEE-ONLY-ONE-ON-EBAY-/191586700464

The seller raised the price from $4,000 to $4,250. Then added it's the only one ebay after Costas put his for sale here on the boards. I just don't get why people put Stan's sig on stuff he had nothing to do with. It must be because everyone else is doing it :boo:

I'm hoping to see my grade next week, my book is 'Verified'. :wishluck:

Jerome

Suppose he feels emboldened by the fact that he has the only copy for sale on ebay now.

I also notice no on sells these raw anymore. Either they are at CGC waiting to be graded, or no one else wants to sell. Either way there's still just 92 slabs to go around. Jumpace, if yours still says "verified" you probably won't see a grade posted for another 3-4 weeks (and that's assuming you "fast" tracked). :tonofbricks:

-J.

I just checked mine again and it flipped to Scheduled For Grading. But really, I've been waiting 2 months just to get it pressed and up to this point. A few more weeks feels like nothin' now lol

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

I just checked mine again and it flipped to Scheduled For Grading. But really, I've been waiting 2 months just to get it pressed and up to this point. A few more weeks feels like nothin' now lol

Jerome

What grade are you expecting ? :wishluck:

-J.

Jerome

What grade are you expecting ? :wishluck:

-J.

I'm expecting a 9.6, hoping for a 9.8.

Jerome