• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

How much do you discount a book in value/price with the addition of tape on the spine (not to repair a split, just the old "they did it 'cause they thought it would reinforce the book and make it last longer)? Only the slightest of discoloration at this point from the tape, but I know it's all down hill from here in terms of the tape degrading and yellowing.

So how much do you decrease the value of the book vs a book of the same quality with no tape on the spine?

(oh and it's not a huge dollar book, just a few hundred if there wasn't tape, but all the same, and it is somewhat hard to find)

In terms of demand/value

Cap 1

Cap 3

Cap 46

Those are easy top 3

Cap 16

Cap 2 or cap 74 (tie to me)

Probably next tier

Can I ask why Cap 7 isn't in any of your lists Rick?

It's not, from my experience, a top 5 demanded issue. Demand drives price.

Same thing with 27. It's a fabulous issue, but from a demand standpoint , it pales when compared to 2 or 74 and thus I feel it has upward value potential greater. Mileage may vary

Hi Rick

Just wondering what the fascination with Centaurs is all about? What first attracted you to collecting them?

Thanks

Jake

There were several factors.

One, the scarcity. For me, the challenge of collecting is every bit as enjoyable as the acquisition

Second, the history/content...once I discovered the pioneers that worked on centaurs (everitt, mills, biro, gustavson, wolverton, Ryan etc etc) you can't help but "marvel" at what they accomplished

Hi Rick

Just wondering what the fascination with Centaurs is all about? What first attracted you to collecting them?

Thanks

Jake

One, the scarcity. For me, the challenge of collecting is every bit as enjoyable as the acquisition

Second, the history/content...once I discovered the pioneers that worked on centaurs (everitt, mills, biro, gustavson, wolverton, Ryan etc etc) you can't help but "marvel" at what they accomplished

There's plenty to marvel at!

AmazingMysteryPair.jpg

Hi Rick

Thanks

Jake

Thanks Rick. I didn't mean to imply that they were not worth collecting I just know nothing about them so wanted to be informed. That certainly is a who's who of comic book royalty.

Fun trivia question (in two parts):

When was the last time the Gator football team left the state and scheduled an out-of-conference road game and won?

and

When was the last time they left the state and scheduled an out-of-conference road game against a team with a winning record and won?

Fun trivia question (in two parts):

When was the last time the Gator football team left the state and scheduled an out-of-conference road game and won?

and

When was the last time they left the state and scheduled an out-of-conference road game against a team with a winning record and won?

Memphis state, 1989

Rutgers was 6-4 in 1986

Memphis state, 1989

Rutgers was 6-4 in 1986

Close, but Rutgers was 5-5-1 in 1986.

But keep looking back a few more decades, you will get it eventually. :P

Who cares? When you play in the SEC plus FSU every year, why would Florida need to schedule MORE tough road games???!!!! :makepoint:

Who cares? When you play in the SEC plus FSU every year, why would Florida need to schedule MORE tough road games???!!!! :makepoint:

I agree that in the past few years that is enough, but found it interesting that when they play Michigan to start the 2017 season it could be their first such win in 70 years.

Really? 70 years?!?!

(Of course when they are just 13-20-1 on the road against FSU and Miami in the last 25 years, I can see why they would be hesitant to go out of state to get beaten also.)

I agree that in the past few years that is enough, but found it interesting that when they play Michigan to start the 2017 season it could be their first such win in 70 years.

Really? 70 years?!?!

Strictly as a fan, the cupcake non-conference games scheduled by big time teams -- and obviously, SEC teams have been particularly prone to this -- are pointless. If you think you are the best team in the country, play a tough non-conference schedule. Even in the SEC, you will likely get a couple of cupcake conference games most years. :sumo: