• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

I just saw the Church copy yesterday during a visit to the jbcomicbox ComicCave. It was spectacular! :cloud9:

I wonder if the No More Foxing Around thread is a contributing factor hm

lol:eek:

Well, maybe it didn't help. But I'm guessing Weird #20 exploding in the last year or so was the real catalyst, putting the title on the radar of some 'new' collectors.

I'm still in shock though. Back when I was collecting these in earnest, I felt like I was the only one who cared about these books, especially the #6-20 part of the run. I ebayed off a few undercopies and they generally tanked.

Ironically, of the four Weirds Heritage just auctioned, #18 used to be the easiest to find. (In fairness, not sure that that's the case today.) #11, #17 and #20 were always the toughest of the tough in my book.

I really dug that #17 as well and made a decent run at it but such is life...Heck if that #18 just set the bar at almost 1K a point your copy could hit the moon my friend!! (thumbs u

I am still stoked that I didn't walk away empty handed...I certainly overpaid for this copy but besides for the SUPER blunted corners and the Horrendous PQ the main cover art is still pretty appealing for this grade and I love the Red, White, & Blue stripes of the side of this issue...I also knew I wouldn't be making a run at the Signature Series #1 or #2 so here it is...my lone win...but a Fox nonetheless...I would say it fits into my collection quite nicely...

17800847395_607c5b10fb_b.jpg

Congrats! :golfclap: That's a winner in ANY grade. Your'e gonna have a hard time picking a winner for your top 2015 snag buddy....

Thanks buddy!!! (thumbs u I have definitely had a Phenomenal year at least as far as my standards are set anyways and count my lucky stars everyday to have people like you guys to chat with and share the experience with!!

I had a wedding last weekend and was catching up with an old pal of mine who moved out to DC...He was telling me he was getting into the hobby. I was floored and pretty excited to be honest as not many of my friends and family have the bug like myself. I was sharing some photos I had on my phone over some drinks and he honestly didn't know what any of the books were I was excited about (Fox, Ace, Harvey, MLJ, etc.) Out of the GA stuff He did think the Cap #3 & TEC #73 were pretty awesome which I thought was pretty neat. Mostly the conversation revolved around the 1st appearance of the Inhumans, Black Panther, and whether or not Aquaman #1 was his 1st appearance and if it was a good investment :facepalm: I said, "1st appearance? Not by a long shot brother, heck that ain't even his 1st SA appearance!!" lol Everybody's Gotta start somewhere though right?!!

You guys are zealous going after these later Fox's - I've definitely learned a few things, that is for sure.

Even back in the day, I rarely saw these later books and when I did they were not in condition... which basically explains why I don't have any.

:cry:

I just saw the Church copy yesterday during a visit to the jbcomicbox ComicCave. It was spectacular! :cloud9:

Does he charge admission to that or what because what I have seen of that collection he sure could?!!! :grin:

It cost five times as much as the first time I visited! :o

Of course the first visit was free so if you do the math... :)

I saw too many amazing early Fox books to recall even half of them and they were just a fraction of the many wonderful books and pieces of art that flew by.

Does he charge admission to that or what because what I have seen of that collection he sure could?!!! :grin:

It cost five times as much as the first time I visited! :o

Of course the first visit was free so if you do the math... :)

I saw too many amazing early Fox books to recall even half of them and they were just a fraction of the many wonderful books and pieces of art that flew by.

lol that's awesome!!

You guys are zealous going after these later Fox's - I've definitely learned a few things, that is for sure.

Even back in the day, I rarely saw these later books and when I did they were not in condition... which basically explains why I don't have any.

I've definitely got a fever and the only cure is more Golden Age obscurities!!! these books don't usually hit my collection until they've almost disintegrated back into the earth from which they came but I still love em nonetheless..the good news for sellers is they know there are people out there willing to pay top dollar for their treasures...the bad news is even at near dust it looks like I'm going to have some competetion picking these up when they do hit the market!! it's looking like a sellers market more and more everyday...I'm hoping to lock a few of these up while I have the chance and just enjoy em for a long time to come, or until they blow away in the wind, whichever comes first haha!!

I've definitely got a fever and the only cure is more Golden Age obscurities!!! these books don't usually hit my collection until they've almost disintegrated back into the earth from which they came but I still love em nonetheless..the good news for sellers is they know there are people out there willing to pay top dollar for their treasures...the bad news is even at near dust it looks like I'm going to have some competetion picking these up when they do hit the market!! it's looking like a sellers market more and more everyday...I'm hoping to lock a few of these up while I have the chance and just enjoy em for a long time to come, or until they blow away in the wind, whichever comes first haha!!

It is a real sickness. And there is so much more variety and so few extant copies compared to later stages of publishing I don't think the sickness can ever be satiated. Would you guys say we are currently experiencing a strong increase in collecting in this field?