• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avenger 58 Cover on ebay

34 posts in this topic

On ebay there is cover to Avengers #58. Description lists most of the cover is stats with just the Vision and Thor's cap is original. Looks like its the same as the published cover. Anyone know the history of this cover? Was the figures of the Avengers drawn for something different then stated and used for the final published? For mostly stats $57K is really over priced.

Here is the description from the auction:

"Two thirds of the Vision is original art by John Buscema. The blue lines that he used to begin, that were likely inked over by George Klein, can be clearly seen. This cover is not a normal stat cover, with one large piece in the middle, and a few squiggly lines drawn at the borders. Most of the Vision is original art with individual stats carefully pasted on. The Black Panther, Goliath, and Hawkeye are a single stat pasted over the Vision. Then a stat of Captain America is pasted on over them. Thor and Iron Man are each individual stats then pasted on. Thor's cape is original art drawn on the cover. There are numerous art corrections that are original art as well. The masthead and logos are all original as any other cover would be. John Buscema did a lot of those early covers of the Avengers this way, this just has a bit more stats.

This is only the second time that the phrase "Avengers Assemble" appears on a cover in Avengers. The first time was when Captain America formed the new team that replaced the original Avengers. This, only the second time, is the first time that the original team and the new team meet. It could be argued that this is the first appearance of the modern age Avengers team.

The cover here is an iconic cover used as inspiration for the 42nd Overstreet Price Guide. The team on this cover is the team that appears on Marvel Essentials Volume 3. The images of Iron Man and Captain America were each used in the first series of Marvel Value Stamps.

The cover for sale was drawn in the month between Avengers 57 and Silver Surfer 4, John Buscema's most famous covers, at the height of his abilities, when he wasn't holding back. You can imagine how much those covers would bring if they ever came up for sale. If you are a fan of the Vision, this is the next best piece of art that is available, an opportunity that might never come again.

The intro/origin of the Vision is one of the most famous storylines of the Silver Age as well. Here are some quotes from the internet: "One of the most famous stories from the Silver Age". Frequently voted one of the top Avenger's storylines of all time.

The Vision has always been a fan favorite. His lone image would grace the cover from 93 on as the symbol of the Avengers for the next decade.

Don't miss this opportunity which might never come again. This is the sort of piece that disappears into collections.

In the movies, the Vision is obviously going to be a huge part of the Avengers team for years to come."

avengers58cvr.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

On ebay there is cover to Avengers #58. Description lists most of the cover is stats with just the Vision and Thor's cap is original. Looks like its the same as the published cover. Anyone know the history of this cover? Was the figures of the Avengers drawn for something different then stated and used for the final published? For mostly stats $57K is really over priced.

So where would you value it? 10K seems too cheap but 20K seems too high to me.

This was on eBay once before, I guess more than a decade ago. IIRC, the seller had several vintage Marvel covers that were all- or 90%-stat. This one attracted more interested and bidding than the rest, but it didn't sell that high. I want to say $2-3K, but I certainly didn't write the price down. Anyone else recall this?

CAF market data search shows an "Avengers 58 Original Production Cover - John Buscema - 1968" sold on ebay in May 2007 for $1582.00. Not sure if it's absolutely the same cover as there's no description info or images in the CAF search results. But seems old enough to jive with Glen's memory.

This was on eBay once before, I guess more than a decade ago. IIRC, the seller had several vintage Marvel covers that were all- or 90%-stat. This one attracted more interested and bidding than the rest, but it didn't sell that high. I want to say $2-3K, but I certainly didn't write the price down. Anyone else recall this?

You know, in the fine art realm, collage is a legitimate form of "art," and really this is no different and it's the published art. Just food for thought.

It's the published cover . . . it's certainly legitimate . . . would make a great piece to own . . . but the downside's that there's not very much in the way of original artwork.

I think Glen meant that he saw it sell on ebay a decade ago in the $2-3K range. I found a listing for $1582 from 2007 so his memory is darned good.

I'm sure it would sell for considerably more today (I think the previous estimate of 10-20K is realistic). Even though it's mostly stat and not OA, as Terry astutely points out, it is the actual original cover to Avengers 58.

Of course, if it was #57, I wonder what would that go for….

I agree with Glen, $2k-3k sounds good with so little original art. Would love to know what the original design looked like since they stated the Avengers

I think Glen meant that he saw it sell on ebay a decade ago in the $2-3K range. I found a listing for $1582 from 2007 so his memory is darned good.

I'm sure it would sell for considerably more today (I think the previous estimate of 10-20K is realistic). Even though it's mostly stat and not OA, as Terry astutely points out, it is the actual original cover to Avengers 58.

Make the guy an offer. :baiting:

I agree with Glen, $2k-3k sounds good with so little original art. Would love to know what the original design looked like since they stated the Avengers

Apparently the Avengers #57 cover changed hands a long time ago. At one of our secret cabal dinners a major dealer told a story about trying to acquire it when it became available. Even way back when it went for a fairly strong number. I believe the dealer mentioned 10K, which at the time was strong for a Buscema cover.

Apparently the Avengers #57 cover changed hands a long time ago. At one of our secret cabal dinners a major dealer told a story about trying to acquire it when it became available. Even way back when it went for a fairly strong number. I believe the dealer mentioned 10K, which at the time was strong for a Buscema cover.

10k ? Geez

I guess that used to be alot of money before Bernanke and Yellen went nutso on all the printing ?

Trophy Assets are going nuts lately - http://www.ourbroker.com/news/100-million-house-is-here-050515/

http://tdvmedia.com/getblog.php?id=428&ac=1097O66P

So you think the cover with the original art would be worth $100k? I don't care if it was used to produce the printed comic it's still mostly stats. A stat cover is worth 1/10 what the original art is worth.

Looks like the art for the Vision is all original with stats of the others?

I would have paid much more than it went for in 2007 but would pay much less then it's asking today.

I understand people not being totally excited over stats but when any art from an issue (even a production cover with just a little art) goes for less than a printed copy of the comic itself, it seems out of balance.

Edited by bluechip

Seems to me this is a clear cut a case of valuation as "nostalgia trophy". The intrinsic value of this piece as art is clearly on the low side , based on minimal original involvement. Whether someone pays $10K or $50K.

....or you could get the Capullo Batman cover, right? ;)

As far as stats in this context counting as artistic collage.... that's got to be a whole other thread right there.