• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Anyone got covers to all these different divinty 1 covers?

Only thins i see on ebay is the 1st print, i was expecting ebay to be flooded, i was very very wrong....idk if people arent aware of the $20+ value of regular cover, issue 1, or if people are holding on to their copies.

Anyone got covers to all these different divinty 1 covers?

Only thins i see on ebay is the 1st print, i was expecting ebay to be flooded, i was very very wrong....idk if people arent aware of the $20+ value of regular cover, issue 1, or if people are holding on to their copies.

I know one guy who has a stack going to CGC. Mostly I think they're going to be staying in the hands of readers. I have an extra B cover, and some extras of the reprints, but only one A cover. And I waited too long to pick up the incentives.

Pimping a website that ISN'T mine... lol

Possible key issues from the NEW Valiant Universe books:

http://valiantdatabase.com/books/keys

Does ANYONE count the first (non original) apps of the New Valiant as keys? Like to I care about first Ninjak or Archer and Armstrong? Is it essentially like the first Batman in New 52?

Does ANYONE count the first (non original) apps of the New Valiant as keys? Like to I care about first Ninjak or Archer and Armstrong? Is it essentially like the first Batman in New 52?

Not sure about that... it does seem like the first Batman in New 52, but there was 15+ years of no Valiant.

Would it be more like Captain America returning to Marvel in Avengers #4? hm

There seem to be three types of "firsts" in Valiant 2012-present

1) First appearance of an all new character (Bleeding Monk)

2) First appearance of an almost completely new character (Livewire)

3) First 2012 appearance of prior character (X-O Manowar)

I guess it's similar to 1992's Valiant Magnus #12 being the first appearance of Turok in the Valiant Universe. His true first appearance was Four Color #596 from 1954, but Magnus #12 was a Valiant key. hm

Not sure about that... there seem to be three types of "firsts" in Valiant 2012-present

I guess it's similar to 1992's Valiant Magnus #12 being the first appearance of Turok in the Valiant Universe. His true first appearance was Four Color #596 from 1954, but Magnus #12 was a Valiant key. hm

thanks that what I thought. Is there a list of the 1st apps in category 1? Seems like the most useful one to me

That's the way I see it. This is just a reboot, not the first time we are introduced to a character. Essentially all of The New 52 beginning books would be "first appearances" too if people thought that way.

That's the way I see it. This is just a reboot, not the first time we are introduced to a character. Essentially all of The New 52 beginning books would be "first appearances" too if people thought that way.

Right... but there is something to be said for the amount of time between the Valiant universes (1990s vs. 2010s).

Similar to Marvel characters reappearing the 1960s after they had first appearances in the 1940s.

Not sure about that... there seem to be three types of "firsts" in Valiant 2012-present

thanks that what I thought. Is there a list of the 1st apps in category 1? Seems like the most useful one to me

hm

I guess you could start with the list of 1st apps from the 1990s:

http://valiantdatabase.com/books/classic/keys

...then add any 1st apps from the current Universe that you haven't already seen in the 1990s:

I nabbed a bunch of these new VEI books for $0.25 each on FCBD. Harbinger, X-O and a few randoms.

Divinity has my attention though, and apparently everyone else's too.

Thanks for the VEI List. I was looking for a quicker way to organize them, but I do have one edit that needs to be made. Harbinger #24 has X-O #24's picture. First appearance of the Armor Hunters (Reebo, Helix, Lilt, Quartz, and Gin-GR) IIRC was in X-O not Harbinger?

Thanks for the VEI List. I was looking for a quicker way to organize them, but I do have one edit that needs to be made. Harbinger #24 has X-O #24's picture. First appearance of the Armor Hunters (Reebo, Helix, Lilt, Quartz, and Gin-GR) IIRC was in X-O not Harbinger?

I sent that site administrator an email... that should say X-O Manowar #24 (thumbs u

This makes sense. Calling books a character's first app. after they have appeared in tons of prior issues makes no sense at all unless you add in a qualifier. The Turok first app. in the valiant universe always had that qualifier attached to it. No one ever tried passing off Magnus Robot fighter #1 or Solar Man of the Atom #1 as the first app. of those characters as far as I remember. This is definitely useful for the new characters and even the characters that are different enough from the originals. Calling Bloodshot #1 from the new company "Bloodshot's 1st app" is silly; Almost as silly as calling the first book to get to 25 issues a "key". (X-O #25? Really? lol )

hm

I guess you could start with the list of 1st apps from the 1990s:

http://valiantdatabase.com/books/classic/keys

...then add any 1st apps from the current Universe that you haven't already seen in the 1990s:

Calling Bloodshot #1 from the new company "Bloodshot's 1st app" is silly; Almost as silly as calling the first book to get to 25 issues a "key". (X-O #25? Really? lol )

Agreed. "Key" isn't the right word. "Milestone" might be... there were a number of retailers (and loud people in general) who said Valiant won't last 6 months. Issue #25 in a row, on time, every month, was a milestone that many naysayers should have had foot for dinner.

Are you asking us what you should care about? Buy what you like.

Calling Bloodshot #1 from the new company "Bloodshot's 1st app" is silly; Almost as silly as calling the first book to get to 25 issues a "key". (X-O #25? Really? lol )

Agreed. "Key" isn't the right word. "Milestone" might be... there were a number of retailers (and loud people in general) who said Valiant won't last 6 months. Issue #25 in a row, on time, every month, was a milestone that many naysayers should have had foot for dinner.

Hmm...

1) There was precedent with VH1, where nearly every issue 25 was celebrated as an "event"

2) I was a naysayer but am record on doubting VEI could get either

a) six titles to issue 25 (so far there have been three, and two of them ended on # 25 & re-launched); or

b) three titles to issue 50. We'll see...