• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,560 posts in this topic

Agreed! Here's another one to add to the list: ricklinman

Before explaining this situation, some backstory. Due to ebay's doctrine of assuming that all sellers are lying, thieving dirtbags even if proven innocent, I started sending a note out with all orders asking for buyers to contact me with any questions/concerns about their orders by selecting "general question" as the subject of the message. That prevents a case from being opened automatically. Unfortunately, ebay also issues strikes against a seller for a "defect" when a buyer returns something if they select "return request" as the subject. As we all know, comics are just like toasters. They either work or they are defective, so comic sellers should be judged by the same standard. (Sarcasm intended)

The buyer above had made several purchases over the past year and always left positive feedback. Everything seemed fine with him and I never expected any problems. However, he did not select "general question" when he contacted me about returning a book because he didn't agree with the grade and a case was opened. I told him to return it, and I would issue him a refund upon receipt.

After I received the book, I sent him an e-mail asking him if I could send the refund (plus $10 to cover return shipping and for his time) as a separate payment and reiterated the punitive ebay policy. By sending the payment separately, this would bypass the punitive ebay return process. I also asked him if he could just allow the return to expire after I sent his refund as the separate payment. So I waited, and waited, and waited for a response. Nothing over the last two weeks. After giving up on hearing back from him, I just went ahead and sent him the refund through ebay for the amount of the original purchase.

If he would have honored my request the first time, I would have just sent him a refund and told him to keep the book (he bought it for $25) and all would have been resolved. Instead, he had to open the Item Not As Described case, and then refuse (apparently) a refund for more than the original amount. After all, revenge is better than money...

Since this buyer refused to respond to my request or my e-mail, I have no choice but to block him to protect myself. I would suggest everyone else do the same.

I think this is a BS block suggestion - all of the problems arise from him failing to do things you are asking him to do that are outside of the norm for e-bay dispute resolution.

In fact your frustration with e-bay and their dispute resolution is so great that the act of initiating one changed your resolution plan from "keep it, I'll refund you" to " send back my <$25 book & do this & this" (shrug)

meh

First of all, I only told him to return the book because he had opened the case. If he would NOT have opened the case and sent a nondescript reason for the message instead, I would have offered the option to keep the book in addition to the refund.

Also, the "norm for ebay dispute resolution" was not the normal method used for the majority of ebay's existence. Now, if a seller has low DSR ratings for more than 2% of sales, then he is removed from Top Seller status and loses the 20% discount on seller fees. Smaller sellers are being disproportionately affected by this system because ebay is trying to drive them off. Sellers are also punished for accepting returns since these are included in their evaluation.

I only offered this information for everyone to consider. No one is required to block this buyer. However, if you want to deal with someone who considers satisfaction with about 99 out of 100 books justification enough to damage your selling status, be my guest.

Also, the "norm for ebay dispute resolution" was not the normal method used for the majority of ebay's existence. Now, if a seller has low DSR ratings for more than 2% of sales, then he is removed from Top Seller status and loses the 20% discount on seller fees. Smaller sellers are being disproportionately affected by this system because ebay is trying to drive them off. Sellers are also punished for accepting returns since these are included in their evaluation.

I only offered this information for everyone to consider. No one is required to block this buyer. However, if you want to deal with someone who considers satisfaction with about 99 out of 100 books justification enough to damage your selling status, be my guest.

Seems your gripe is more with eBay than the buyer. Unless the buyer is also an active seller, I wouldn't expect the buyer to understand all the ramifications of using eBay's standard return process to initiate a return.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "sellers are punished for accepting returns," since sellers do not really have any other option these days.

The 20% discount on seller fees is a great perk, and I hate to lose it over egregious buyer misbehavior or "buyer's remorse" type returns. But losing it (temporarily) because a buyer doesn't want to go outside the guidelines that eBay itself has provided is a different matter, and again, the fault there is primarily with the way eBay set up the system.

Seems your gripe is more with eBay than the buyer. Unless the buyer is also an active seller, I wouldn't expect the buyer to understand all the ramifications of using eBay's standard return process to initiate a return.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "sellers are punished for accepting returns," since sellers do not really have any other option these days.

The 20% discount on seller fees is a great perk, and I hate to lose it over egregious buyer misbehavior or "buyer's remorse" type returns. But losing it (temporarily) because a buyer doesn't want to go outside the guidelines that eBay itself has provided is a different matter, and again, the fault there is primarily with the way eBay set up the system.

It is true that ebay's current structure is the main problem. However, I send the note that I mentioned with all orders requesting buyers to proceed with returns by contacting me without labeling the message as a return request so that I can handle it without ebay's involvement. This seller chose not to do that, even though I provided an explanation as to why I made the request.

As for the punishment for accepting returns, your seller dashboard has a tally for the number of returns that you accept for item not as described. These count against you in your evaluation. Once the buyer opens the case, you receive the count against you no matter what.

My main problem is that the buyer had bought a substantial amount of books from me over several orders. He had received the note with my request numerous times, with an explanation of the return system. He then decided not to honor this request when he found one book (out of around 100) where he disagreed with the grade. I cannot understand why someone would make that decision other than to damage my seller standing, and that's why I posted this.

I agree everyone needs to make their own call but this list is an automatic block for many sellers. Many people don't bother to read and understand the details to make their own decision & once it passes the "Swick sniff-test" it goes onto page 1 where many more non-thread readers might auto-block this guy......why? well, because he followed the e-bay guidelines rather than following your instructions.

Do all buyers know the impact of initiating an "e-bay facilitated return" ? Nope, but I do know it's not easy to communicate with a seller without opening a "case" of some kind.

If you're assuming he's acting in a way to damage your rep, hurt your wallet etc...maybe you should revisit your assumption that he's a 99% satisfied customer.

Is it possible that he's ignoring your request in this case because he's been less than satisfied in the past? Perhaps even offering up some false positives because he didn't want to cause a problem for you and now after this particular order he felt it fair to put an "official return" on the record rather than suck it up and offer good feedback that wasn't earned? I'm making assumptions here (shrug)

So you're saying that he's using a bad system to publicly air out a 99% good vs 1% bad issue & you're the actually the party doing that by bringing his name here.

:foryou:

I'm not saying it's entirely on you but by discussing the particulars of a block recommendation we help people understand it better. At least you gave some details, you could have taken the easy way out and just listed the guys handle with "buyers remorse" and no one would say a word. I just think your issue is with ebay's system not this particular buyer.

I cannot understand why someone would make that decision other than to damage my seller standing, and that's why I posted this.

There are other possibilities besides deliberately trying to damage a seller's status.

By going outside eBay's return process, the buyer would be forfeiting the Buyer Protection that eBay affords. Maybe he doesn't want to risk giving that up.

Perhaps if, as Doohickamabob suggested, he doesn't understand the reasons for your request, it may sound a bit shady to him. I'm not say that it is shady, but it could sound that way to someone who's ignorant of eBay's policies for Top Rated sellers.

Honesty, I don't see anything that indicates a deliberately malicious motive. I just sounds like a good repeat customer who now wants to return an item and want's to do it through eBay's return process.

I cannot understand why someone would make that decision other than to damage my seller standing, and that's why I posted this.

There are other possibilities besides deliberately trying to damage a seller's status.

By going outside eBay's return process, the buyer would be forfeiting the Buyer Protection that eBay affords. Maybe he doesn't want to risk giving that up.

Perhaps if, as Doohickamabob suggested, he doesn't understand the reasons for your request, it may sound a bit shady to him. I'm not say that it is shady, but it could sound that way to someone who's ignorant of eBay's policies for Top Rated sellers.

Honesty, I don't see anything that indicates a deliberately malicious motive. I just sounds like a good repeat customer who now wants to return an item and want's to do it through eBay's return process.

Maybe I have been unclear, so I'll try this one more time.

When the buyer wanted to return the book, he could have avoided the return process. On the rare instances when a buyer has wanted to return something during the last 14 years, I have always worked it out directly. I can understand your point about going through the official ebay return procedure, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt on that.

Once I received the return, I offered him more than he originally paid to compensate him for return shipping, time spent packing up the book, and taking it to the post office. I reiterated what I said in the notes that he had received with his numerous orders as an explanation for asking him to proceed this way. He never responded. Also, there would have been no forfeiture of buyer protection because he would have received the payment separately anyway. If anything, I was taking the risk, because he could have responded in the return case by claiming that he never received his refund since it was a separate transaction.

It is true that this is mostly ebay's fault because that is the way that they have their system designed now. If you disagree with a seller's grade designation, even if it is only a .5 grade difference, then the book is "defective." However, I informed the buyer about ebay's unfair return process and asked him to help me out. He declined by his lack of response.

You can interpret these events in whatever way you choose. I just thought that everyone should be aware of this situation so that you can make your own decision.

I totally agree, after almost 6 years selling on eBay it is Seller Beware not Buyer Beware!

Thanks,

Jim

K0HW

Agreed! Here's another one to add to the list: ricklinman

Before explaining this situation, some backstory. Due to ebay's doctrine of assuming that all sellers are lying, thieving dirtbags even if proven innocent, I started sending a note out with all orders asking for buyers to contact me with any questions/concerns about their orders by selecting "general question" as the subject of the message. That prevents a case from being opened automatically. Unfortunately, ebay also issues strikes against a seller for a "defect" when a buyer returns something if they select "return request" as the subject. As we all know, comics are just like toasters. They either work or they are defective, so comic sellers should be judged by the same standard. (Sarcasm intended)

The buyer above had made several purchases over the past year and always left positive feedback. Everything seemed fine with him and I never expected any problems. However, he did not select "general question" when he contacted me about returning a book because he didn't agree with the grade and a case was opened. I told him to return it, and I would issue him a refund upon receipt.

After I received the book, I sent him an e-mail asking him if I could send the refund (plus $10 to cover return shipping and for his time) as a separate payment and reiterated the punitive ebay policy. By sending the payment separately, this would bypass the punitive ebay return process. I also asked him if he could just allow the return to expire after I sent his refund as the separate payment. So I waited, and waited, and waited for a response. Nothing over the last two weeks. After giving up on hearing back from him, I just went ahead and sent him the refund through ebay for the amount of the original purchase.

If he would have honored my request the first time, I would have just sent him a refund and told him to keep the book (he bought it for $25) and all would have been resolved. Instead, he had to open the Item Not As Described case, and then refuse (apparently) a refund for more than the original amount. After all, revenge is better than money...

Since this buyer refused to respond to my request or my e-mail, I have no choice but to block him to protect myself. I would suggest everyone else do the same.

Why block him? Seems like we should block you

If that's your interpretation of events, go ahead. As previously mentioned, I could have just posted the buyer's ID and said he had buyer's remorse. However, I posted an honest summary of what happened.

Hopefully, he would have found this thread and posted the messages and called you out as a liar.

Why block him for you wanting him to jump through hoops to get his refund? You don't like eBay's policy, no one is forcing you to continue to do business through there.

I would tell you to F off if you sent me those emails wanting to skirt around the rules that way.

I'm still blocking him. You guys do what you want.

I'm blocking everyone til KAV is the only one I'm able to sell to. Hopefully he doesn't block me.

If that's your interpretation of events, go ahead. As previously mentioned, I could have just posted the buyer's ID and said he had buyer's remorse. However, I posted an honest summary of what happened.

Hopefully, he would have found this thread and posted the messages and called you out as a liar.

Why block him for you wanting him to jump through hoops to get his refund? You don't like eBay's policy, no one is forcing you to continue to do business through there.

I would tell you to F off if you sent me those emails wanting to skirt around the rules that way.

That's really a harsh way of saying it, but it does get the point across. It is something for you to consider.

I appreciate your candor by giving us a detailed story. Each can make up their own mind.

I would suggest discontinuing the note as well. I get packages all the time and have never received anything like that.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Add this wanker: willpau_v8vdn

Offered me a fair price on one of my items (with a long note on how to pack properly) which I accepted a few hours later.

It's now been a week and no payment and no response to messages.

Did some digging and found he bought a very similar item to mine 2 days later; guessing that's why I'm not getting paid. Opening case now....

Add this wanker: willpau_v8vdn

Offered me a fair price on one of my items (with a long note on how to pack properly) which I accepted a few hours later.

It's now been a week and no payment and no response to messages.

Maybe you should send him a long note on how to pay properly.