• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was surprised to see that a toilet figured in lots of the action. I don't think I have ever seen a toilet in any other Golden Age Comics.

Have you?

Bathroom's being one of my areas of expertise and the place I spend the most time researching matters comic book, I've seen many golden age stories on a toilet but I have not seen a toilet in a golden age story before.

We should get Overstreet to note that!

OK, I'll get on it. There must be some that I can get a toilet seat theme going...

The June 1936 issue has one of the most gruesome covers I've ever seen. :eek:

The contents include a Robert E. Howard story, "Black Wind Blowing."

Interior illos are by Alex Schomburg, Joseph Doolin, Leo Morey, and H.L. Parkhurst.

thrillingmysteryjune1936.jpg

Man that is sick but I love it! I collect pulps for cover art mostly. Why is it that two of the best ones you've shown have RE Howard stories? That just pounds the price up for me. Another one for the dream list...

Man that is sick but I love it! I collect pulps for cover art mostly. Why is it that two of the best ones you've shown have RE Howard stories? That just pounds the price up for me. Another one for the dream list...

They're out there for those willing to take the time to look for them.

With your eagle eye you'll probably find them pretty quick and at a reasonable price, I bet. :wishluck:

I was surprised to see that a toilet figured in lots of the action. I don't think I have ever seen a toilet in any other Golden Age Comics.

Have you?

Bathroom's being one of my areas of expertise and the place I spend the most time researching matters comic book, I've seen many golden age stories on a toilet but I have not seen a toilet in a golden age story before.

We should get Overstreet to note that!

OK, I'll get on it. There must be some that I can get a toilet seat theme going...

I'm curious if there are any others out there. hm

The last pulp in the group is the October 1936 issue.

It features story illustrations by Alex Schomburg, Leo Morey, and James Wilcox.

Please note that all of the artists I identified as doing story illustrations later went on to work in the comic book industry.

thrillingmysteryoctober1936.jpg

:applause:

These guys ended up being guilty by association in a way. As the demand for material increased, they were recruited to help out but soon the publishers realized that their problem was even bigger than they were ready & equipped for and the shops organized, swooped in to provide a one-stop solution for the publisher, much easier to sub-contract this.

Really a dramatic shift in the supply & demand for material. To that point, they only had to pay for editors and assistant editors to slog through the submission pile to fill in the page of their publications. Every would be writer was submitting.

With artists, the balance of power seemingly shifted over and publisher demand for a while exceeded supply. It's a miracle that publishers were able to come on top even given these conditions. I guess there were more starving or aspiring artists out there than first thought. Dire economic conditions certainly helped the publishers' side.

On another side not that might only interest me but it's too funny not to share. I was reading my copy of Wings # 18 and ran into these hilarious panels from the Greasemonkey Griffin story.

Here's the direct link to the page in DCM - http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=12454&page=20

Griffin's prison camp number is fortuitously 130013 better seen as 13 0 0 13 , a.k.a. BOOB as lettered in the panel. Still makes me laugh.

The splash page was as always inventive with the title incorporated into the artwork.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=12454&page=15

They're out there for those willing to take the time to look for them.

With your eagle eye you'll probably find them pretty quick and at a reasonable price, I bet. :wishluck:

Pulps rarely turn up out here at flea markets any more. Especially ones like these. Usually SciFi or Western in pretty beat shape. I did score a couple nice Weird Tales a few months ago. I keep hoping...

This story was written by Gaylord DuBois and drawn by John Stanley, of Little Lulu fame. It was cited by Michael Barrier in his excellent history of Western Pub and Dell ( Linky ) because it's good and because it was so unusual that a story involve a toilet.

taj1.jpg

It was cited by Michael Barrier in his excellent history of Western Pub and Dell ( Linky )

I ordered a copy through Diamond / Previews. It was solicited a month or two ago. So, what I hear is that I won't regret it? What's the balance of coverage of the main artists (Stanley, Barks, Kelly, ...) to the others?

It was cited by Michael Barrier in his excellent history of Western Pub and Dell ( Linky )

I ordered a copy through Diamond / Previews. It was solicited a month or two ago. So, what I hear is that I won't regret it? What's the balance of coverage of the main artists (Stanley, Barks, Kelly, ...) to the others?

What's in the book is excellent but it's heavily focused on Barks and Kelly with a good dose of Stanley. Everyone else is mentioned briefly with little information about post-1965 work. There is definitely room for a second volume to cover more artists and stories about Dell/Western but it goes a long way to explain the corporate structure and history of those two companies.

These guys ended up being guilty by association in a way. As the demand for material increased, they were recruited to help out but soon the publishers realized that their problem was even bigger than they were ready & equipped for and the shops organized, swooped in to provide a one-stop solution for the publisher, much easier to sub-contract this.

Really a dramatic shift in the supply & demand for material. To that point, they only had to pay for editors and assistant editors to slog through the submission pile to fill in the page of their publications. Every would be writer was submitting.

With artists, the balance of power seemingly shifted over and publisher demand for a while exceeded supply. It's a miracle that publishers were able to come on top even given these conditions. I guess there were more starving or aspiring artists out there than first thought. Dire economic conditions certainly helped the publishers' side.

On another side not that might only interest me but it's too funny not to share. I was reading my copy of Wings # 18 and ran into these hilarious panels from the Greasemonkey Griffin story.

Here's the direct link to the page in DCM - http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=12454&page=20

Griffin's prison camp number is fortuitously 130013 better seen as 13 0 0 13 , a.k.a. BOOB as lettered in the panel. Still makes me laugh.

The splash page was as always inventive with the title incorporated into the artwork.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=12454&page=15

Scrooge, I've been a big fan of Al Walker's Greasemonkey Griffin ever since you posted some some pages from the strip several years ago.

I love all the extra effort he put into making his stories stand out from the typical fare found in comic books.

greasemonkey%20griffin.jpg

Harold Delay's b-day. Born in 1876, he was well into his fifties when comics ‘got going’ (1930s), so his style is ‘charmingly old-fashioned’.

img431.jpg

Here are a couple more Harold DeLay covers.

Both issues feature Robert E. Howard stories.

Golden Fleece (November 1938)

goldenfleecenovember1938.jpg