• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,527 posts in this topic

yeah, picked up these two on the bay few days ago without much of a fight

2mj.JPG

Very cool. A lot of people might not recognize what those are. I know the Tarzan is a big deal, but I figure there are so many versions of those Tarzan books, I don't know which ones are early printings or later printings. The "Avenging Martian" book is a little bizarre! (I looked up both books in the Antique Trader Collectible Paperback Price Guide by Gary Lovisi, and they're not listed.)

I would add old-time radio premiums and comic strip collecting to Pulps, and Paperbacks, as hobbies that have really slowed down.

People back in the day use to collect comic strips like Flash Gordon and Tracy, and old-time radio rings like Green Hornet.

For some reason only comic books stayed popular, while Pulps,and Paperbacks, comic strips, and old-time radio premiums collecting faded into obscurity.

hm

I've recently been looking more into vintage paperback books. Some of the cover art and text blurbs are incredibly risque, and it fascinates me to consider what it must've been like to peruse the stands of the local newsstand considering the covers that adorned the comics, pulps, and paperbacks of the time.

From what little I know about the era, there was a glut of product from each of these types of publications. However, based on the values I've seen in my limited research, it seems that paperbacks have never attained the same level of collectibility of comics and pulps. Heck, it seems that pulps aren't nearly as sought after as the comics, either.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why that might be? I know there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, why is it that, in terms of value and apparent interest, it's: comics > pulps > paperbacks? I can understand why super hero comics, which are still in the public eye, have maintained their dominance, but are there any clear reasons why pulps and paperbacks aren't as sought after?

Personally there is little difference between everything I collect: a book (essays, not only novels), a magazine, a comic book holds value to me for its content, historical and personal value. So I can’t answer your question, as I am willing to pay for whatever I recognize as valuable, and comics collecting (or collecting per se) has always seemed a bit "suffocative" to me… :shrug:

I am obviously not speaking of american comics or american collecting alone, rather on a thorough world wide level.

Just reading through these old messages, and wondering: Why isn't there more activity in here among collectors of vintage paperbacks? Is there another message forum where they are more likely to congregate?

I think we need a new dedicated thread for vintage paperbacks - "Show us your Paperbacks" or "What's new on your bookshelf?" or "My vintage paperback book report" or whatever. A thread that recognizes that some of us have great collections to show off, and others are actively building their collections right now. That way, we'll have collectors adding their latest books and keeping the thread alive. I'll certainly contribute once I get my collection up and going again.

Here are some books from my collection. I took these photos a few years ago and probably already posted them somewhere in the CGC forums, but not this thread. Since then, I have added quite a few cool books. Eventually I'll get out the books and the camera and take some much better pics.

That's a great group shot, with some real classics. And two(!) copies of "Case of the Dancing Sandwiches" - that one commands a pretty penny. Do you have a Lion "Killer Inside Me" by Jim Thompson by any chance?

I think we need a new dedicated thread for vintage paperbacks - "Show us your Paperbacks" or "What's new on your bookshelf?" or "My vintage paperback book report" or whatever. A thread that recognizes that some of us have great collections to show off, and others are actively building their collections right now. That way, we'll have collectors adding their latest books and keeping the thread alive. I'll certainly contribute once I get my collection up and going again.

I am all for it! Yes, please, do contribute once you get your collection up and going.

That's a great group shot, with some real classics. And two(!) copies of "Case of the Dancing Sandwiches" - that one commands a pretty penny. Do you have a Lion "Killer Inside Me" by Jim Thompson by any chance?

Glad you appreciate the "Dancing Sandwiches." On name alone, that's of my favorites. (I need to get a copy of "Take a Lesbian to Lunch" to go with it -- just to complete the lunch-food theme.)

I don't have any Jim Thompson books, and there seem to still be a lot of collectors who are very active and competitive to get them. I don't have an Ace "Junkie" either, and probably won't ever at this point. I won't say the names of a few of the authors I try hardest to find -- just because I don't want to give any potential competitors any ideas...

That said, I did score one of my absolute grails the other day. I will post a photo after it's safely in my hands.

I wish there was a gerber photo journal of pulps! There are lots of books that have some covers but I like the completeness of the journals. They really helped me understand Golden Age.

I buy pulps here and there and often wished they would be graded by cgc. They would appear more collectable ug they were in cases like that. I know there are good stories in them, but yhe pulps I have are even more fragile than my GA comics so I usually don't look through them more than once.

CGC's notes on the labels also help me collect and I'd love that for pulps.

"Classic cover". Publication dates, "first nazi cover" stuff like that would be cool.

Paperbacks are neat too, I'd pay a premium for a set of high graded Conan frazettas.

Slabbing would make these way more collectible because we'd know it was first printing and all that stuff. Pulps and paperbacks are kinda wild west imo. I'm sure if collectors made it worth while they could get pretty popular.