• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Here is a complete Hop Harrigan All American Comics kit with all variations. Too bad they didn't do a Green Lantern but aviators were real popular in the 1940's. The patches were substituted for the metal badges to conserve metal during the war. They cam in two different ranks. Get another couple kids to sign up and you got the next rank up.

hopharrigankit_zpsgjatlbqw.jpg

The earlier metal badges came is silver to brass. The piece I just got was the tiny AOC (American Observation Corps) wings badge. This was a "bounce back" offer once you joined the club and signed up more members. You had to have the second patch to do this. It is tiny (for war metal shortages) and incredibly rare. This is only the second one I know of. Part of the problem is that it just says AOC on it and you have to know what it means. It is also so small that it got lost easily. I don't think even Ted Hake has ever had one and he is te King of this stuff.

hopharriganpins_zpskz5ujeua.jpg

Next up isn't a premium but a very rare DC Hop Harrigan give away comic from 1945. This was given away at The Southern Confrence for Human Welfare in 1945 in Atlanta GA. It is 8 pages and probably wasn't printed in large numbers or saved. It is un-listed in Overstreet.

hopharrigancomic1_zps89lgndls.jpg

hopharrigancomic2_zpsrhmkv5u5.jpg

Here is the Supermen of America kit from 1961. I have all of them. They were issued in 1940, 1948, 1955 and 1961 I believe. Just minor changes mostly to the buttons. Probably the most common of the DC premiums because they were issued for so many years.

supermanmemberkit1961_zpsuf1kek74.jpg

Here are ll the button variations. The smaller one was issued for a short time during the was to save metal for the war effort. They are in order left to right, oldest on the left. The Supermen Great Britian is from the late 1950's and the only one I know of...

supeclubpins_zps44afa6a2.jpg

Here is the Supermen of America kit from 1961. I have all of them. They were issued in 1940, 1948, 1955 and 1961 I believe. Just minor changes mostly to the buttons. Probably the most common of the DC premiums because they were issued for so many years.

Bob, I had SoA kit that was very early. The wording on the certificate said that the owner was a CHARTER MEMBER (rather than just a MEMBER). Have you ever seen this? I've been trying to find another for years.

Next up is the Junior Justice Society Kit. This was offered for years with subtle differences. Offered in All Star Comics starting in issue #8 I believe. Came with a Minute Man comic and war bond stickers which I don't have. During the war the metal badge was substituted for a cloth patch which I don't have right now.

justicesocietykit_zpssrr5vieq.jpg

I just bought one of these sets at C2E2. Complete with the war bonds flyers (2), mailer, and cloth patch. I will try to post them in the next couple of days.

Great stuff, Bob, as always. (thumbs u

Here is a complete Hop Harrigan All American Comics kit with all variations. Too bad they didn't do a Green Lantern but aviators were real popular in the 1940's. The patches were substituted for the metal badges to conserve metal during the war. They cam in two different ranks. Get another couple kids to sign up and you got the next rank up.

Just amazing stuff, Robot Man! It's like a visit to a great museum!

154844.jpg.8a2ddc413e28710fb9dc8b1b36ea2f04.jpg

154845.jpg.39064d668fc19b3e8c8a42e27b3ef6a9.jpg

Bob, I had SoA kit that was very early. The wording on the certificate said that the owner was a CHARTER MEMBER (rather than just a MEMBER). Have you ever seen this? I've been trying to find another for years.

That might be the case on the earliest 1939-1940 issue Gary. I don't know whay they would change it but theymade subtle changes over the years. Mostly to the images on the pinbacks. I will check mine when I get the chance.

Next up is the Junior Justice Society Kit. This was offered for years with subtle differences. Offered in All Star Comics starting in issue #8 I believe. Came with a Minute Man comic and war bond stickers which I don't have. During the war the metal badge was substituted for a cloth patch which I don't have right now.

justicesocietykit_zpssrr5vieq.jpg

I just bought one of these sets at C2E2. Complete with the war bonds flyers (2), mailer, and cloth patch. I will try to post them in the next couple of days.

Great stuff, Bob, as always. (thumbs u

Nice score Richard! The patch is pretty tough. Hopefully you got a good deal on it. I can't usually buy this stuff from comic book people. They don't know the "going rate" and usually price them at nose bleed levels. Post it and let us see!

Just amazing stuff, Robot Man! It's like a visit to a great museum!

That's funny, my "civillian" friends say I live in a museum. Other than "the room" as my wife calls it, I have stuff sparingly and tastefully in every room. I don't like it out of hand but I do like "the room".

I have a friend that collects classic cars and motorcycles. He has a "warehouse" where he stores them. When he got divorced, he lived there for a few weeks on a cot. Nice to wake up to everyday but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

All this talk about Richie's Human Torch #23 got me thinking about Timelys. I much prefer Timelys and Nedors over DCs are a rule. Problem is they have always been pretty pricey and in the old days were a little harder to find than DCs. Here are some Timelys that were in my bucket. Ones, I like a lot not necessarily because of their value or condition but just the "coolness" factor. One of these days, I will dig into the Nedor boxes. I've got most all the Schomburg war issues.

Here is my Torch #23. Not nosebleed condition but when I first saw it in a comic book store I had to have it. (Being Robot Man of course). This was a while ago and it was priced a little below guide so I jumped on it! It really blows me away the prices I see being mentioned on this one.

comhumantorch23_zpskg1misic.jpg