• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

What are some ways to catch up on classic valiant reading? I got the masters HC books down. Any TPB that aren't super rare or expensive? Is the rai flipbooks from Magnus 5-8 covered in any collected format?

And if you're looking to eventually read the Acclaim stuff too, you should know that Armorines #4 hasn't been reprinted or made available digitally anywhere yet, so the only way to read is to get the original, and it's extremely limited. Usually when they pop up on eBay they're a BIN in close to the triple digits, but there's an auction on eBay right now that's a relative bargain:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281668393566?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is the rai flipbooks from Magnus 5-8 covered in any collected format?

The Rai miniseries on the flipside of Magnus #5-#8 should be in this:

http://valiantfan.com/issue/show/mInv

The cheapest way to read Magnus #5-#8 used to be getting copies with the coupon card for Magnus #0 cut out.

Those were $2 books when the trade was selling for $20.

For classic Valiant, start with these, most should be cheap (cover price or much much less)

Harbinger - Children of the Eighth Day Tpb (1992) reprints issues 1-4, bagged with issue #0

Magnus - Steel Nation Tpb (1994) reprints issues 1-4

Magnus - Invasion Tpb (1994) reprints Magnus issues 5-8 and Rai flipbook 1-4

Rai Tpb (993) reprints issues 1-4

Shadowman Tpb (1994) reprints issues 1-4

Solar - Alpha and Omega Tpb (1994) (also known as Solar 0) Reprints Solar 1-10 secondary story by Barry Windsor Smith

Solar - Second Death Tpb (1994) Reprints main story in Solar 1-4

Unity Saga Tpb 1 - 4 (1994) Reprints all 18 chapters of Unity.

Valiant Era Tpb (1994) reprints Magnus 12, Solar 10-11, Eternal Warrior 4-5, Shadowman 8

X-O Manowar - Retribution Tpb (1993) reprints issues 1-4

Harbinger/X-O/Rai/and Valiant Era seem very common, and find them in tpb bins at most conventions.

My buddy just bought a long box of post-Unity Valiants for $10. Works out to about 4c /comic. If you include the cost of the long box itself at $5 value, then 2c/comic. Sounded like a good deal.

Only problem is that it was part of a bundled deal and he had to buy the other 4 long boxes of Image bulk overstock. Does one really need another 5 long boxes to re-bag and store?

My buddy just bought a long box of post-Unity Valiants for $10. Works out to about 4c /comic. If you include the cost of the long box itself at $5 value, then 2c/comic. Sounded like a good deal.

Only problem is that it was part of a bundled deal and he had to buy the other 4 long boxes of Image bulk overstock. Does one really need another 5 long boxes to re-bag and store?

I would either recycle them, sell them as is as a bulk lot, or donate them somewhere.

I want a collected Malev invasion compendium. I also want a new book published by the current company set in the original Valiant continuity with hand colors. I know I sound demanding, but I can't be the only one that wants this stuff. Also, A Rai movie needs to happen, or at the least they need to tie Rai into the Bloodshot movies.

Seriously though, a book set in the old continuity with the real time updated situation would sell better than most of the junk the new company is producing.

Seriously though, a book set in the old continuity with the real time updated situation would sell better than most of the junk the new company is producing.

You're reading the new line, right? Because if it's "junk", then there is nothing worth reading from any publisher.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/16/valiant-best-reviewed-publisher-american-comic-stores/

I want a collected Malev invasion compendium. I also want a new book published by the current company set in the original Valiant continuity with hand colors. I know I sound demanding, but I can't be the only one that wants this stuff. Also, A Rai movie needs to happen, or at the least they need to tie Rai into the Bloodshot movies.

Why would you think that? The old stuff doesn't hold up so well. The new line hold onto the important concepts of the originals and ups the storytelling to modern standards.

Well I returned to the golden $1 bins, and pulled an X-O Trade! For a $1!!!!

Now I can read these issues I refused to buy digitally!

1992 or 2012?

92, the OG Aric of Dacia.

That's a good read for $1... good to compare to X-O #1-#4 from 2012.

"Junk" may have been too strong a word. There has been some of it I have liked, but overall I have been disappointed in much of it. I have stacks of stuff I need to catch up on, so maybe I'll have a more favorable opinion on some of them after reading them in chunks. I just miss the old universe more than anything, and want to see it revisited. A quarterly 80 page "tales from the original valiant universe" book with Layton, Leeke, BWS, Hall, Lapham, Pierre, and hand coloring would be a dream come true. Coming from a guy that bought magnus #1 the week it came out and pretty much every valiant until the end of the original line(I even stuck out through the end of X-O as painful as that was); it will be hard for me to ever like the new line as much as I loved the old one. 2 books that I haven't gotten yet are "Imperium" and "Unity". Would you say they are the better of the current line? I'd be interested to hear your rankings on the line from favorite to least favorite...

You're reading the new line, right? Because if it's "junk", then there is nothing worth reading from any publisher.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/16/valiant-best-reviewed-publisher-american-comic-stores/

I think the old stuff holds up incredibly well. In fact it holds up better than any other line that was produced in the 90's IMO. Go back and reread Marvel, Image, and DC books from the time period if you want to talk about books that don't hold up. That stuff is nearly all complete garbage with maybe a 10% exception.

Why would you think that? The old stuff doesn't hold up so well. The new line hold onto the important concepts of the originals and ups the storytelling to modern standards.

Image was just for pictures. We all knew that going in.... lol

New Valiant is written very well, and editorial staff is keeping continuity as part of their top priority.

Cannot say the same for other publishers.

I think the old stuff holds up incredibly well. In fact it holds up better than any other line that was produced in the 90's IMO. Go back and reread Marvel, Image, and DC books from the time period if you want to talk about books that don't hold up. That stuff is nearly all complete garbage with maybe a 10% exception.

:o The Marvel 2099 run was exceptionally good during that time period......... lol

Edited by kimik