• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

Just called my friend in Germany.

He went to the midnight premiere and saw the same thing I did. Took his kids and wife Saturday and got up to leave at the credits and his son said "Dad we have to wait". Before he could tell him that there wasnt anything to see

up pops Thanos grabbing his gauntlet and saying "Im going to have to take care of this myself.

He said he took them home and then went and saw it again just for that. doh!

It is really the first depiction of said character?

No.

Previews are not comics and that's about all that needs to be said.

That wasn't my point at all. Context brother, context.

Can't wait for Vince to respond to this point alone, never mind the rest . . . lol

Why bother, as he's splitting gnat sheit from pepper when he says, it's "the first depiction" and then gets all butthurt when no one agrees with him, stating later that "it's different than a first appearance".

He's like those sportscard guys in the 80's who would parade around pictures of some athlete in Sports Illustrated that pre-dated the rookie card, and then spouting how much it should be worth, blah, blah, blah.

I remember someone doing that with Bo Jackson, who was a well-known and well-publicized athlete well before he was drafted (Wayne Gretzky was a news item since he was a kid), screaming about how "Bo was in SI long before he got a sportscard/this should be worth more than his RC, etc." without understanding why no one else cared. lol

If you only collect COMICS or CARDS, who cares about a prior depiction in a magazine or preview newspaper. I know I don't, as they are totally different things.

You obviously didn't even read what I posted fully. If you did, you would realize I am more on your side of the fence about all of this. If you want to treat me like Ween who posts previews all over the place, that's fine. You are just being stubborn and lumping me were I don't belong.

I have had numerous conversations about previews/ads on these boards, and have never considered them first appearances. I did not go back and change my stance.

I called it the "first depiction", because it has to be called something, people are actively buying these things, and that's what they are looking for " first time in print or whatever" Stop making it look like I'm the leader of this movement, when all I was doing was making a comment. I actually said I find it hard to get on board ( aka accept ) this niche market. Guess you didn't read that far.

Go ahead, check my post history, you will see I'm more against previews/ads market than for it.

Here is one for you, from 2 months ago:

1st spawn ad

You are being an , just to be an . I suppose I should expect nothing less from you.

Again I really wasn't posting about DC Spotlight just to slip in another ad/preview argument. I just though it was a cool collectible that is hard to find and was wondering what people though based on the DK relevance. You have to admit though, Gobbledygook kind of sets a precedence for 1 page images/ads as first appearances. Personally I think it's important when things like this happen; Watchmen characters appear in comic format before the series, Nightwing's costume appears in Comic Collector Magazine prior to TT44 or the first 5 pages of Saga 1 appearing in Diamond Previews well before issue 1. They don't have to set the market on fire but they should be noted.

Edited by MrWeen

Yeah -- big difference between Gobbledygook 1-2 & the Marvel Age, Image previews, etc.

I really don't understand why people are comparing a Preview newspaper like DC Spotlight with Gobbledygook 1, which is an actual comic book with actual stories and art inside by Eastman and Laird.

The fact that TMNT fans have grabbed onto Gobbledygook 1 due to its full-page ad has no impact on its viability as a real live comic book with stories and art.

No debating that its a comic book with art and stories :screwy:

The debate is why anyone cares about it. The comparison is the ad/preview driving the demand, that's what the two books have in common. For me, the only reason people care about gobbledygook 1 is that TMNT ad. It has had a stigma of the being the first appearance ( it was called this in every single price guide for quite some time ) until the last decade or so. Its been counterfeited because of its value, and its low print run. People want it, because its been in the spotlight for decades for all those reasons.

If you increase the print run to 1,000+ copies its still a $100+ book ,if not more ,because of that ad.

Increase the print run to 1,000+ copies, but remove the ad, it becoms a comic ( no argument there ) that no one cares about.

Sort of like Fugitoid # 1 Nobody cares, even though its an extremely early Eastman & laird book. Why? No turtles, and no scarcity = $1 bin fodder.

The Turtles are in Fugitoid, so is R2D2! The problem is that people just don't know it. Better get back to that dollar bin :baiting:

Fugitoid%2038_zpsby1foi2r.jpg

Edited by MrWeen

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless.

One month apart seems easy to understand... TTA 90/91 or Hulk 180/181, but how far apart can those early appearances be that you would still prefer the first cover... three months? A year?

For example, what is the best General Zod appearance?

Very tough to determine indeed - you tell me. He doesn't look all that intimidating on the cover of Supergirl DC Giant #24. (shrug)

Adventure Comics #283 is the only Zod book that I think of... but he's not on the cover, so I didn't know if you preferred some other later book.

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless. It goes back as far as TTA 90 that has the first app of the Abomination - give me TTA 91 any day of the week. :sumo: (Unless of course, I have a bunch of copies of the "alleged 1st apps" for sale . . . ) :grin:

So you're in the Eternal Warrior #5 crowd then, for Bloodshot?

Solar #11 for EW?

No and No. lol:insane:

What do you consider the 1st appearance of Gamora? ST 180 is a cameo, ST181 is her 1st full appearance. She wasn't on a cover until Warlock 15

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless. It goes back as far as TTA 90 that has the first app of the Abomination - give me TTA 91 any day of the week. :sumo: (Unless of course, I have a bunch of copies of the "alleged 1st apps" for sale . . . ) :grin:

Solar #11 for EW?

What do you consider the 1st appearance of Gamora? ST 180 is a cameo, ST181 is her 1st full appearance. She wasn't on a cover until Warlock 15

I don't even know who Gamora is . . . (and I bought that lame title off the rack) lol:insane:

Solar #11 for EW?

I don't even know who Gamora is . . . (and I bought that lame title off the rack) lol:insane:

:facepalm:

(tsk)

Yeah -- big difference between Gobbledygook 1-2 & the Marvel Age, Image previews, etc.

I really don't understand why people are comparing a Preview newspaper like DC Spotlight with Gobbledygook 1, which is an actual comic book with actual stories and art inside by Eastman and Laird.

The fact that TMNT fans have grabbed onto Gobbledygook 1 due to its full-page ad has no impact on its viability as a real live comic book with stories and art.

The debate is why anyone cares about it. The comparison is the ad/preview driving the demand, that's what the two books have in common. For me, the only reason people care about gobbledygook 1 is that TMNT ad. It has had a stigma of the being the first appearance ( it was called this in every single price guide for quite some time ) until the last decade or so. Its been counterfeited because of its value, and its low print run. People want it, because its been in the spotlight for decades for all those reasons.

If you increase the print run to 1,000+ copies its still a $100+ book ,if not more ,because of that ad.

Increase the print run to 1,000+ copies, but remove the ad, it becoms a comic ( no argument there ) that no one cares about.

Sort of like Fugitoid # 1 Nobody cares, even though its an extremely early Eastman & laird book. Why? No turtles, and no scarcity = $1 bin fodder.

The Turtles are in Fugitoid, so is R2D2! The problem is that people just don't know it. Better get back to that dollar bin :baiting:

I have never read the book, Is that a manifestation ( some kind of light show) from fugitoid or did they actually appear?

Still, the fact is, nobody cares, and its Eastman and lairds 7th published book ( printed between tmnt 4 and 5 ).

Just called my friend in Germany.

He went to the midnight premiere and saw the same thing I did. Took his kids and wife Saturday and got up to leave at the credits and his son said "Dad we have to wait". Before he could tell him that there wasnt anything to see

up pops Thanos grabbing his gauntlet and saying "Im going to have to take care of this myself.

He said he took them home and then went and saw it again just for that. doh!

I bet he really said "Papa wir müssen warten"

I have never read the book, Is that a manifestation ( some kind of light show) from fugitoid or did they actually appear?

Still, the fact is, nobody cares, and its Eastman and lairds 7th published book ( printed between tmnt 4 and 5 ).

No they appear on the following page and it's a pretty sick splash that any Turtles Collector would want if they read comics. You say people don't care but maybe that's because people do not know. And that's my point really. Some comics do better than others because they are discussed more by fans or maybe pushed more by those with agendas. I was very happy to see Fugitoid referenced because it's yet another Turtles comic that gets little light placed upon it, like these:

Grimjack 26

Pre-Teen Dirty Gene Kung-Fu Kangaroos 1,

Extremely Silly 1

New Age Comics 1

The ending we saw was BW and Cap training the new Avengers, then it goes to a view of statues of the main Avengers. 2hrs 12mn 35sec was the run time. If it was after that, then we didnt see it

The post-credit scene is immediately after the statue scene.

Some people seem to care: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fugitoid-1-TMNT-1st-Print-CGC-9-6-WP-/381042832273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b7ec3391

Not really

20 bucks

I was hoping I didn't have to get into a conversation about how the world works. Many people are lazy and never send comics to cgc, but only buy cgc books. There are 56 graded Fugitoid # 1's on the census ( because there is nearly zero demand to justify grading them ) , whoever bought that book did so as it was their only option, didn't want to wait, and didn't care about their money enough to do so.

The fact is, anyone who wants a cgc 9.6 can buy a raw NM and sent it in for a total cost of less than $50 including grading. They just have to know what they are looking for. There are plenty out there, but , generally, nobody cares.

I was very happy to see Fugitoid referenced because it's yet another Turtles comic that gets little light placed upon it, like these:

Grimjack 26

Extremely Silly 1

New Age Comics 1

And don't forget the app in Flaming Carrot. (thumbs u

Not really

20 bucks

I was hoping I didn't have to get into a conversation about how the world works. Many people are lazy and never send comics to cgc, but only buy cgc books. There are 56 graded Fugitoid # 1's on the census ( because there is nearly zero demand to justify grading them ) , whoever bought that book did so as it was their only option, didn't want to wait, and didn't care about their money enough to do so.

The fact is, anyone who wants a cgc 9.6 can buy a raw NM and sent it in for a total cost of less than $50 including grading. They just have to know what they are looking for. There are plenty out there, but , generally, nobody cares.

I'd pay 20 bucks for that . . . :baiting:

I was very happy to see Fugitoid referenced because it's yet another Turtles comic that gets little light placed upon it, like these:

Grimjack 26

Extremely Silly 1

New Age Comics 1

:golfclap: Time to break out some Flaming Carrot comics and possibly a little Yummy Fur.

No they appear on the following page and it's a pretty sick splash that any Turtles Collector would want if they read comics. You say people don't care but maybe that's because people do not know. And that's my point really. Some comics do better than others because they are discussed more by fans or maybe pushed more by those with agendas. I was very happy to see Fugitoid referenced because it's yet another Turtles comic that gets little light placed upon it, like these:

Grimjack 26

Extremely Silly 1

New Age Comics 1

Thanks, I own that splash :). It's on my office wall.

Grimjack 26

Extremely Silly 1

New Age Comics 1

Usagi #10 too