• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

So...we both like Mad...but, unlike you, I don't have any Alfred postcards or busts or any of that stuff (I have that book though), however (and I'm not sure if you've seen this or have one yourself, but I've posted it several times) I do have this original that I got from the OO:

296k9e8.jpg

That is fantastic. I want one... I dig the framing arrangement as well.

One question: Is there some sort of Photoshop fill-in effect going on with the gray area in this image?

Yes...I took a flash pic of it inside and there was glare and other problems, so I put it in photoshop to kinda clean it up. I didn't do a very good job either. lol I need to take a pic outdoors on an overcast day when there will be no glare. Kinda like today was... doh!

If you do get one, I think mine was framed by Michael's. That was about 17 years ago.

Probably my favorite "Age" of comics is the Atomic Age. So many different types of comics were being published. The newsstands were packed full of obscure and interesting books. Something for everybody. The cold war was a time of peace but also uncertianty. Just at the time of television which cut into comic sales. These books were produced during that 10 year period of 1945-1955 when times were good but there was also a fear of the unknown.

First up is the complete run of a favorite title Atomic Comics. Great art and cover on each issue!

comatomic1_zpsad660d91.jpg

A cool one shot from 1945. The first Atomic Superhero?

comatomicbomb_zpsfqojlotq.jpg

Depends on what month it came out...this one's from the November 1945

issue of HEADLINE COMICS #16.

9065997379_34943510cb_z.jpg

mm

To celebrate the last piece I know of in my quest for all the DC comic book premiums coming in the mail on Saturday, I thought I'd feature DC comic book premiums today,

First up are the oldest DC premiums. The first was the More Fun Comics pin. I have More Fun #14 and it is offered in that issue. Possibly earlier but that is the earliest issue I have. This was an incredible score. Got it from a lady at a flea market. She had about a dozen generic "kids club" pinbacks and this was there. I knew right away and jumped it for $2.00! Pays to know what to look for. I only know of one complete kit and just a couple other buttons.

The Junior Federal Man club ran in Adventure and New Adventure from early 1930's to around 1940. Not sure which one the certificate belongs to but it is the only one I have seen. Here are all 3 versions.

The Flash button is unfortunately a bit out of resisiter but I am glad to have one at all. I believe it was only offered in All Flash #14.

dcpremiums_zps1c959fdb.jpg

Next up is the Junior Justice Society Kit. This was offered for years with subtle differences. Offered in All Star Comics starting in issue #8 I believe. Came with a Minute Man comic and war bond stickers which I don't have. During the war the metal badge was substituted for a cloth patch which I don't have right now.

justicesocietykit_zpssrr5vieq.jpg