• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If anyone out there collects Classic Illustrated from the '40s
1 1

174 posts in this topic

I had never heard not paid attention before but here's an album published by / with Classics on eBay. Am I late to the party and everyone else knew about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPACE-STORIES-AND-SOUNDS-from-CL-Illus-LION-Records-/261852634447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf7a21d4f

That's a new one on me.

thanks Jake

here are a few more of the earlier Classics Comics

HRN 22

CC18HRN22.jpg

HRN 18 even though the HRN would indicate a first print, it is actually a 2nd

CC19HRN18N.jpg

HRN 28

CC19HRN28.jpg

HRN 20 another first printing, with the same issue# as the HRN which was unusual

CC20HRN20.jpg

For the last 9 solid months, I've been working on a massive POE blog project, attemption to assemble every comics adaptation of a POE story ever done in one place in chronological order.

Several of these have been variations of "CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED".

One I found out about recently (thanks to another fan, whose main obsession is "CLASSICS" comics) is MONDIAL AVENTURES #29 / 1959, published by Society Parisinne d'Edition in France. The story adapted is "LES AVENTURES DE SIR ARTHUR GORDON PYM". The story is 48 pages long, with art by Willy & Yves Groux.

Oddly enough, due to delays with the French publisher, the story actually wound up being printed in Brazil before it was in France, in ALBUM GIGANTE #39 / Jan'58, from Editora Brasil-America (EBAL).

I've set up a "place-holder" page at my blog, as I don't have the comic yet, only scans of the covers...

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/07/poe-1959-pt-1.html

Can anybody help with scans?

At the moment, my finances are in such bad shape, that so far, I've only wound up BUYING 2 comics for this entire project-- KING CLASSICS #14 (1977 / Editora Bruguera / Spain), and MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #28 (May'77 / Marvel). All the rest has been assembled from scans found online or supplied by other fans!

When Gilberton closed up, the void was filled by several other publishers. Perhaps most notable-- yet also most obscure in the US-- if Editora Bruguera in Spain. Their JOYAS LITERARIAS JUVENILES series-- all new, all different, all MADE IN SPAIN, ran 269 issues!!!

Here's more info, and, a COMPLETE list of the entire run!!!

http://themysticbubble.blogspot.com/2011/11/las-joyas-literarias-juveniles.html

On 11/9/2013 at 6:34 PM, ciorac said:

I know I am fond of the early Classic Comics. Here is my #1

ClassicComics1_zps48939173.jpg

:bump:

It's been a while since we've discussed Classics in a thread. Ed's (ft88) successful Classics sell-through in the Sales Forum got me delving back into Classics the past couple of days, updating my want list and (re)discovering info about the series. There's still plenty for me to learn and this thread was chock-full of great information this last time. I am sure everyone has great info and books to post here.

Aside from Bill's # 1 above, there's also this one in the CGC gallery and the census shows at least 2 9.2's and 1 9.0 -

ClassicComics_1_8-5.jpg

What we don't see much of are the interiors of the CI's. They are not allowed as uploads at the DCM for example which makes them more rarely seen.

Malcolm Kildale did the original Three Musketeers. Here we see D'Artagnan exposing Milady -

59fff22e4902f_CI1-TusslewithMilady-KildaleVersion.jpg.01a17141b088ede09288eceafeca4c7f.jpg

I quickly pulled the re-drawn George Evans version for the same scene, see below (I'll post more from the Evans version soon) -

59fff2b0dbe37_CI1-TusslewithMilady-EvansVersion.jpg.ba288c3e049d13f98f2d49b73b849a70.jpg

My copy has a higher HRN, 78, making it the 10th edition of the book as per Overstreet. It's amazing to think that Three Musketeers went through 23 editions spanning 30 years!! from 1941 to 1971. At least, my copy has a neat ad for the Giants -

59fff312ba177_CI1-HRN78-BC-GiantAdvertisement.jpg.12330c7d34790431fee2eb6bc3cf1185.jpg

This Classics has also been the darling of cinema with many adaptations including the 1948 version with Lana Turner as Milady -

59fff34a41708_LanaTurnerasMilady-ThreeMusketeers-1948.jpg.35a0bfa8f9fc0b8ab6c7fbef5ec38b82.jpg

17 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Gene Kelly as D'Artagnon and the Skipper from Gilligan's Island as Porthos.

Alan Hale Sr. and Alan Hale Jr. (Skipper) both played the same character, Porthos the musketeer, in movies forty years apart. Alan Hale Sr. played the character in 1939's Man in the Iron Mask, while Alan Hale Jr. played him in 1979's The Fifth Musketeer.   Porthos was played by Gig Young in the 1948 movie starring Lana Turner and Gene Kelly.

18 hours ago, Scrooge said:

:bump:

It's been a while since we've discussed Classics in a thread. Ed's (ft88) successful Classics sell-through in the Sales Forum got me delving back into Classics the past couple of days, updating my want list and (re)discovering info about the series. There's still plenty for me to learn and this thread was chock-full of great information this last time. I am sure everyone has great info and books to post here.

Aside from Bill's # 1 above, there's also this one in the CGC gallery and the census shows at least 2 9.2's and 1 9.0 -

ClassicComics_1_8-5.jpg

What we don't see much of are the interiors of the CI's. They are not allowed as uploads at the DCM for example which makes them more rarely seen.

Malcolm Kildale did the original Three Musketeers. Here we see D'Artagnan exposing Milady -

59fff22e4902f_CI1-TusslewithMilady-KildaleVersion.jpg.01a17141b088ede09288eceafeca4c7f.jpg

I quickly pulled the re-drawn George Evans version for the same scene, see below (I'll post more from the Evans version soon) -

59fff2b0dbe37_CI1-TusslewithMilady-EvansVersion.jpg.ba288c3e049d13f98f2d49b73b849a70.jpg

Heck of an improvement from Kildale to Evans. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Heck of an improvement from Kildale to Evans.

We can safely conclude as much.

Looking for a scene to showcase Kildale's work on the adaptation, I first looked at the classic first meeting of all 4 main cast for their duel that turns into a fight against the Cardinal's men and ... well, Kildale's work wasn't terrible, it lacked the flair one would associate with the scene.

Here's Evans' version - the bottom right panel illustrate nicely the nascent camaraderie between the group.

5a0111ab50cf5_CI1-Musketeers-DuelinthePark-Evans.thumb.jpg.3a66f62ae93403cc2f30ce0b9ed02ff4.jpg

Here's Evans relating the backstory of Milady in a flashback - Superb panel 

5a0111f4bdf93_CI1-Musketeers-MiladyStory-Evans.jpg.5e7bcda47e86fd628a4b138a6cff8f8c.jpg

and finally, though I wasn't looking for it, this page stopped me. What a great atmosphere and great work from the coloring department to impart the night-time setting - Question: OSPG list Evans / Crandall on the art. Though Jones' book mentions Evans collaborating on some CI work with Crandall, The Three Musketers is not listed. Is this Evans only? 

5a011265ea911_CI1-Musketeers-MiladyEscape-Evans.thumb.jpg.4d39b22b9f305e9355c82125742740a5.jpg

Finally, comics history is funny in many ways. We know so much and yet as far as I know we don't know who painted this cover for The Three Musketeers. This would have been the only cover under which Evans' version appeared.

5a0114ec16b1e_CI1-Musketeers-PaintedCover.jpg.ac09224ce6e2b98ff4fb6caa009f093d.jpg