• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

CGC Overall Registry and Fun Lisners

The last few days I've been inputting my CGC collection into the Registry. Before this I just had a few sets, like Lady Mechanika and Dave Stevens covers. After entering them I was shocked to realized I owned over 400 CGC books! Wow, I didn't realize I owned that many.

Right now I'm #368. It would be cool to be in the top 100, but I don't see how that could ever happen. There are too many books I like that don't rate high points. And usually I'd rather go mid-grade in order to get a few books instead of just 1 high grade comic.

I am tempted though to go after a few books that earn alot of points (relatively speaking) but don't cost too much, even though they might not fit exactly in my collection. Well see ....

Here are a few Lady Zorros I picked up lately on eBay, with Lisner covers. I'll have to contact Gemma about adding a Lady Zorro set to the registry.

Lady%20Zorro%201%20CGC%209.8%2050_zpsx50pta1r.jpg

Lady%20Zorro%202%20CGC%209.8%2037_zpswyupjjih.jpg

Lady%20Zorro%204%20CGC%209.8%2037_zpsvsptjhib.jpg

My Custom Registry Set -- Sketch Covers

I've spent the weekend finishing entering my comics into the Registry. I have a couple dozen that are not currently in any sets, so I'll have to wait on those. Also, a few are still in the process of transferring to me from the people I bought them from. I don't really understand why people don't delete books from their sets when they sell. CGC's process when they don't is easy and usually takes just a day. But I don't understand why a person would hold onto the points when they no longer have the comic, it's like a fake. Maybe the act of selling is an indication they don't care anymore.

I've dipped my toes into custom sets. I've created one, my sketch covers. Here's the gallery if you're interested. A word of warning, there's a little nudity here. Nothing worse than Janet Jackson at the Superbowl. I hope we can be adults here, so if this isn't your cup of tea, please don't look.

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=18338

Anyway, here's the current gem of my skech cover collection, Mary Jane by Tim Sale. I picked it up on eBay about a year ago, and I really lucked out on the price.

SS%20Avengers%201%20Tim%20Sale%20180_zpsi7t86equ.jpg

Stupid Mistake On The Way To Getting a Grail

A couple weeks ago I was on the hunt for Famous Funnies #209 with the classic Frazetta cover. There were 2 copies being offered on eBay, one at 4.5 and the other 5.0. The 4.5 actually had a higher starting bid than the 5.0. I decided to focus on the CGC 5.0.

One night, I checked the auction and realized it was about to close. I quickly entered my max bid via bidnapper. Then I went to bed.

The next morning, the first thing I did was check the auction. I won it! But then I looked closer at the comic I now owned. It was the 4.5. I bid on the wrong comic! Worse, the auction closed at my max bid. Ugh!

So then I had 2 choices. I could settle for the 4.5 and give up on the 5.0. Or, I could try to win the 5.0 and if I did, then sell the 4.5 and hope to get my money back. I decided to do the latter because it looked like the 5.0 might close at a reasonable price.

So again, I put in my max bid on the 5.0 (the same max bid as before). And I won it. I actually got it for 10% less than the 4.5. So now, whereas before last week, I didn't own any Famous Funnies 209s, now I owned 2.

I hadn't paid for the 4.5 yet (this all happened in a couple days). I contacted the seller and explained the situation. I asked if he would cancel the sale, and I would pay him some money via paypal for the inconvenience. Essentially I offered to pay him that 10% difference. The seller agreed. I paid him the money and now he's relisted the 4.5 on eBay.

So anyway, that's the story of my stupid mistake, but luckily I ended up getting the comic I wanted for my max bid.

Untitled_zpsop9qg9wf.jpg

I saw those FF209s and thought it was funny that two would be listed at the same time in auction considering how infrequently they come up for auction.

Im always hunting for a FF213, and the 209 was tempting!

Glad you got a reasonable seller who was willing to work with you to get you out of a sticky situation.

Having Fun With the CGC Registry

I just finished inputting my entire CGC collection into the Registry. I've gone from being a casual fan to practically obsessed with the Registry.

This process has shown me how many CGC books I have. 478! Actually more than that, because I have some that aren't in any sets. So more like 500. I can't believe I have that many.

Right now I'm #340. I'd like to get into the first page -- the top 100 -- but I'd have to get an additional 150k points. Not sure that is possible given where my interests are.

Capture_zps5qivnbsb.jpg

I'm having fun with the Registry list, exploring other collections. It's amazing to me that some people have just a few comics yet so many registry points, like SPIDEY0001. I'm most interested though in collections like mine, with a larger number of comics that have relatively low average scores. For example, I had fun exploring Triskelion's collection.

I recently bought a couple inexpensive comics mostly because of the points. I need to be careful here as buying too much like this will defocus the collection. Moving forward, my rules are: (1) the comic must rate 5 to 10 points (or more) for every dollar spent; (2) the comic must be 9.6 or 9.8; (3) the comic must be no more than $50, and hopefully closer to $25; and (4) the comic is one I might have bought even without the points. Here's a link to that set if you're interested. https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=18368

I decided to upload pics of my comics. I already had scanned images of about 60% of them, so this gave me an excuse to scan in the others. It look me a few days over a couple weeks. Yesterday and today I did it while watching the NHL and NBA playoffs, mixing in a couple baseball games too (what a great time of the year for sports fans). I made it to 100% and hope to keep it there.

I like having images of my CGC books. I sync them to my iPhone and IPad, as I like browsing my collection during down times. Also, you can play around with them like below, showing cover homages / re-uses.

There were a couple glitches with the Registry. It said I owned 2 books that I didn't. I discovered this only as I uploaded the covers, so that was a good QC tool. I deleted them with the Comic Manager. Has anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks for reading.

Untitled_zpso4lm9bw6.jpg

2_zpsfrmah44c.jpg

Mixed Feelings About March and April 2015 ComicLink Wins

The last 2 months I won 5 comics on ComicLink. I kind of wish I hadn't won the first two, ASM 219 (Frank Miller cover) and Green Hornet 1 (Steranko GGA cover). I like both but not at CGC 8.5 -- for comics of this age I'd prefer to get 9.8s. I was curious to see what they would end at so I put in low tracking bids. Problem was, no one else bid, so I ended up winning them. Together they only cost $22, but now I'm stuck with them. Oh well ....

Amazing%20Spider-Man%20219%20CGC%208.5%2016_zpsxj8zkaxr.jpg

Green%20Hornet%201989%201%20CGC%208.5%206_zps6cvsbw7w.jpg

The third comic I feel lukewarm about, Black Angel at CGC 9.4. Again I'd prefer 9.8. But this is a hard comic to get in 9.8. It fills a hole in my Dave Stevens set and, like the first two, was cheap at only $11. So I guess I'm happy to have won it.

Black%20Angel%20CGC%209.4%2011_zps4h6xbqjx.jpg

The last two are comics I'm happy to have, Echo 1 and Big Hero 6 Brave New Heroes 1. I really enjoyed Echo, Terry Moore's 1st series after SIP, and getting it in SS was a plus. I liked the Big Hero 6 movie so I'm happy to have the comic (I saw the movie on the Disney Cruise earlier this month). Also they were both cheap, both of them only costing $85 total.

Echo%201%20SS%209.8%2050_zpsverip73h.jpg

Big%20Hero%206%20Brave%20New%20Worlds%201%20CGC%209.8%2035_zpsaum8l58m.jpg

Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen

As a purist I think Gwen Stacy's last appearance in comics (other than flashbacks) should have been Amazing Spider-Man #121. But alas, Marvel doesn't care what I think.

Since publication of ASM 121 I could have taken the approach of boycotting all Gwen stories. But since Spider-man is my favorite character, and his girlfriend during my teenage years was Gwen, and given how tragically she died, Gwen Stacy has always held a special place in my heart. So, over the years, I have not been able to resist reading her various stories since her death in ASM 121.

Now we have Gwen as a super-hero. I cringed when I first heard it. But you know, the stories are pretty good. At first her smart alec banter during battles seemed foreign and strange. But then I mentally overlayed the intelligent, sometimes sassy-tongued Emma Stone Gwen from the recent movies onto the comic book Spider-Gwen, and the dialogue seemed to fit.

After accepting Spider Gwen into my consciousness, I had to start collecting the comics. They are suprisingly expensive. The Adam Hughes variant is ridiculously expensive. An eBay auction for a SS 9.8 just closed at $455.

Here are 3 I recently won on eBay. These are the low hanging fruit, not the expensive ones. I just did an off-eBay deal for 4 more Spider-Gwens and an Edge of the Spider-Verse. I really like off-eBay transactions, they work for both buyer and seller. I got the comics for under GPA, and he saved eBay fees. (I don't care eBay loses out, I send enough money their way.)

Spider-Gwen%201%20ComicXposure%2036_zpspqew3cne.jpg

Spider-Gwen%201%20CGC%209.8%2039_zpssgcep1pm.jpg

Spider-Gwen%201%20CGC%209.8%20Scottie%20Young%2039_zpsjf1bthyh.jpg

Marvel First Issues That Are Not #1s

Most Marvel Silver Age titles started with issue #1 (like ASM, Avengers and Fantastic Four). But not all. For example, Captain America started with issue #100 and Hulk with #102 (picking up from Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish, respectively).

Most people know about Cap and Hulk. But there was a third major title that didn’t start with #1. Specifically, Thor started with issue #126 (taking over from Journey Into Mystery). Everyone agrees that Captain America #100 and Hulk #102 are major keys. But most collectors consider Thor #126 a minor key (at best). In fact, Thor #126 isn’t on a lot of collectors’ radar screens.

How do I know this? Well, I don’t know, it’s a guess. But my guess is supported by the census. There are 2380 graded copies of Cap 100, and 1991 copies of Hulk 102. But Thor 126? There are only 559 graded copies!

I’m surprised by this, but not shocked. In my own collecting life, getting Cap 100 and Hulk 102 were major collecting goals, and I’ve owned copies for literally decades. I always knew about Thor 126 but getting a copy wasn’t a priority. In fact, I’ve only recently started shopping for it, and only because I’m getting serious about completing my Thor collection of #126-502. I recently bought a CGC 5.5. Certainly not a high grade, but it presents well and I got it for a good price.

Anyway, here are my Marvel first issues that are not #1s. Of the 3, I like the Thor Kirby cover the best. I mean, it's not even close. But see how both Cap 100 and Hulk 102 advertise themselves as 1st issues. There's no indication on Thor 126. But Cap and Hulk were published in 1968 while Thor was in 1966. Maybe Marvel was better at marketing in '68 versus '66. Certainly there's a lingering effect, as in the words of Rodney Dangerfield, collectors don't give Thor 126 any respect.

Thanks for reading.

Captain%20America%20100%20CGC%208.0%20260_zpsht4w6cjm.jpg

Incredible%20Hulk%20102%20CGC%206.5%2095_zpsxzoxojzo.jpg

Thor%20126%20CGC%205.5%2081_zpsuhn5n8ex.jpg

Competing When It's All About Money

As I mentioned before I'm competing in the Spider-Gwen set. But here's the thing about this set. Graded comics are not rare. Pretty much every issue is available on eBay right now (in CGC graded form). So who has the top spot is all about how much money you want to spend.

I recently worked out a good off-eBay deal for 4 Spider-Gwens. Yet even with these comics I'm barely in the 3rd spot.

Capture_zps38a6wsje.jpg

I think I could take over the top spot if I spent another, say, $750. As I mentioned, the comics are readily available, it just takes the decision to spend money.

Eventually I'd like to get a complete CGC 9.8+ run of Spider-Gwen because I like the character (not just Gwen herself, but her influence on Peter Parker/Spider-man). That doesn't mean I'll get the top spot, as others may have more SSs or 9.9s.

It kind of takes some of the fun out of collecting when everything is easily available.

Anyway, here are 3 of my favorite Spider-Gwen covers from my collection. Thanks for reading.

Spider-Gwen%201%20Limited%20Jorge%20Molina%20CGC%209.8%2040_zpsmstp7xpa.jpg

Spider-Gwen%201%20Anka%20CGC%209.8%2040_zpsjyawpy5j.jpg

Spider-Gwen%201%20Midtown%20CGC%209.8%2040_zpstgowu4rr.jpg

Recent Lady Mechanika Additions

A fury of activity lately for the steampunk goddess with issues 4 and 5 and a couple of new collections (all with variants of course). Plus a brand new series, LM: Tablet of Destinies (no registry set for that one yet). Here are a couple of recent additions:

Lady%20Mechanika%204D%20SS%209.8%2060_zpsjq9uekaz.jpg

Lady%20Mechanika%204F%20SS%209.8%2060_zpse8xqxjtf.jpg

The biggest recent addition for me was this Joe Benitez sketch cover. The blanks themselves go for over $100 and seeing CGC copies for sale are somewhat rare. I lose more auctions than I win of these LM sketch covers (and often the starting prices are so high I don't even try), so I was really happy to win this one.

Lady%20Mechanika%202%20SS%209.6%20220_zps76drtmyo.jpg

On a related topic, I recently picked up this really great Black Cat sketch cover. I mention it here because it's by Peter Steigerwald, who is the colorist of LM.

SS%20Marvels%20Project%201%20Peter%20Steigerwald%20160_zpsz9c8sqx4.jpg

Congratulations on your Spider Gwen collection... I just started to read them myself.

And back to your Thor 126, that's a very good point and I would have to agree about it being a bit underappreciated!

My CGC Submission Strategy & Registry Addiction

(Hey Hibou - Thanks for your reply. I love your signature BTW.)

When I first began submitting comics to CGC, I always went with fast track because I couldn't stand the wait. Then I discovered onsite grading and went all in for that.

But last year after Baltimore I counted up all the money I spent to expedite grading and realized I could have bought a major grail if I'd instead gone with normal grading. So I started rethinking my CGC submission strategy.

I read a post in these boards about submitting an invoice each month. The idea being, once you get to steady state -- about 2-3 months -- you'll start getting comics back from CGC every month. It took me a while, but I've started doing this. I started back at the end of February and I'm starting to get them back.

I've got a nifty spreadsheet that keeps track of turnaround times and projects when invoices should be mailed. Right now, regular submissions are taking about 66 days. Based on that, I'm projecting getting my pending invoices back later in May, June and July.

I submit at least 4 comics with each invoice each month, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it. But getting back 4 comics I want graded each month definitely gives me something to look forward to. For Modern submissions I'm mostly mining my own collection right now. I'm also putting together my next Value submission. You have to have at least 15 for Value, so I hope to have that ready to send as my August invoice.

On another topic, I bought another comic mostly for points the other day. I was looking at other sets and was surprised to find that the 1984 reprint of Detective 27 got 600 points in CGC 9.8. I jumped onto eBay and found a number of 9.8s on sale. The cheapest was $125, including shipping. I emailed the seller and asked if he would drop a few dollars. He politely declined. Oh well. $125 was too rich for me (even with shipping included) so I decided to pass.

Then I came into some money. Not a lot, but it was found money. With that money, the delta on the book was something I was willing to pay. So what the heck, I bought it.

I know, kind of crazy. When I do things like this, I think to myself, will I still want the comic even if I someday get out of the Registry? (Like, for example, if CGC goes out of business; that's a horrifying thought as I think it would significantly devalue our collections, at least in the short term). I think this Tec 27 reprint is a cool book. I still hope to someday get an original Detective 27 (unless I win the lottery, it would just be an uninteresting, interior page). It would be cool to display the reprint next to the original. So yeah, this comic does pass my test for buying it. Thanks for reading.

_57_zpsx9of4gdr.jpg

Nice pick up on the Detective 27! I remember ordering this back in 1984. I think you had to send in a couple of proof of purchases from Oreo cookies or something. I know you can pick them up on eBay, but I sure wish that I had kept my original.

Walking Dead and CGC Photos

(Batman1fan: Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the Detective 27 reprint was from a mail in. I wonder how many high grade copies exist? Based on what's on eBay they don't appear rare, but you'd think alot of the comics would get dings through the mail-away process.)

My Walking Dead collection has kind of snuck up on me. My goal is to collect keys, SS copies with actor signatures, cool covers and issues that mean something to me. Here's my gallery if you're interested: http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=93855

Here's one I picked up recently for a decent price. It's the closest thing to GGA in TWD. :)

Walking%20Dead%2077%20CGC%209.8%2047_zps9ztbsspl.jpg

Does anyone else here collect CGC photos? I think they're really cool. They're not expensive to grade (I think $18?), the plastic is indestructible, they're pre-3 hold punched for easy storage, and they're affordable on eBay if you go that route. I like collecting CGC photos of actors who are/were in comic book and science fiction movies. Here's my most recent buy, of Kate Bosworth who was Lois Lane in Superman Returns. I got it on eBay for only $26, what a deal!

Thanks for reading.

SS%20Kate%20Bosworth%2026_zps4aly4q76.jpg

Hong Kong Connection

Lately I've bought a few SS sketch covers from a guy in Hong Kong. I can't imagine how he got the books he has. He told me he has a friend here in the US who helps him. Still, it's hard enough in the US, much less half way across the world. But, this guy does have alot of sketch covers and he's selling some of them.

His eBay ID is ultramanking88. I've bought 4 sketch covers so far from him at fair prices (and fair shipping prices). Check him out, you might find something you like.

jj_zpsddr4ntxa.jpg

_57_zpsmp9ybwaz.jpg

n_zpsuxgr5gcz.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

I'm pretty sure that guy ultramanking88 is a boardie, just can't think of his user name here, maybe someone more into SS books would know

edit: pretty sure board name is ultramanking

Edited by Jking3437

This Is Why I Hate Heritage

God I hate Heritage.

I last won something from Heritage about a year ago. I guess I must have forgotten how much a pain Heritage is, as I bid on a comic last week. Unfortunately I won it. I feel so stupid. But I'm paying for it, as now I have to deal with them.

Here's the comic, ASM 274. It's on my want list because Gwen's on the cover. You don't see it alot in 9.8, so in a moment of weakness I entered a bid of $30. I never thought I'd win, but I did -- in fact I won it for $26.

lf_zpsv4omhpbs.jpg

So then Heritage adds its buyer's fee of $14. Shipping is $8. So all in the book is $48. Honestly, I think that's a fair price. So why am I so down on Heritage?

Because of their freaking user interface! I need to change my mailing address and update my credit card. You'd think that would be easy, right? But in order to change personal information, you have to authenticate by linking another account with Heritage, like Paypal or Facebook.

I HATE when websites do this. It's so invasive. Because you know Heritage is doing it not for your benefit, but for theirs. They're big brother, they want more links into your life so they can do more cross-selling/advertising.

But here's the thing. I decided to go ahead and link my Paypal account. Guess what, the Heritage site won't let me. Then I try Facebook. It won't let me.

SOOOO, Heritage sets up this extremely invasive site that digs into your personal information, THEN it doesn't even work. So now I have to find time to call or email them.

Now I remember. This is the same thing that happened last time. I feel idiotic for bidding on them again. THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME!!!!

5 5