• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I have dragged this all over and got these signatures in it myself. Most of the greats are here. Some that aren't were not alive when it was published. It is still a work in progress. Most of the greats are gone but I would love to get Tom Bunk and a few of the newer guys I admire if I can.

madbook2_zpsigp8xi4i.jpg

I love Mort Drucker's signature the best. Kind of like Frazetta's, a work of art. I tried to get Feldstein to sign like he did on his EC work but he said he forgot how! Don Martin was pretty hard to get. He didn't do a lot of shows and usually didn't like to sign.

I wonder if I can get this verified and slabbed???

So...we both like Mad...but, unlike you, I don't have any Alfred postcards or busts or any of that stuff (I have that book though), however (and I'm not sure if you've seen this or have one yourself, but I've posted it several times) I do have this original that I got from the OO:

296k9e8.jpg

Yes, I do have that as well. I believe I have posted it before.

I have dragged this all over and got these signatures in it myself. Most of the greats are here. Some that aren't were not alive when it was published. It is still a work in progress. Most of the greats are gone but I would love to get Tom Bunk and a few of the newer guys I admire if I can.

madbook2_zpsigp8xi4i.jpg

Wow! Angelo Torres, Mort Drucker, Don Martin, Al Feldstein, Jack Kamen, Sergio Aragones, Duck Edwing, De Bartolo, Will Elder, Kelly Freas, Nick Meglin, Don & Marie Severin....plus the other ones I can't remember (the image is not in front of me as I type).... Wow, wow, wow. (EDIT: Looks like Annie Gaines, and writer Stan Hart? And a few others I can't make out.)

I love Mort Drucker's signature the best. Kind of like Frazetta's, a work of art. I tried to get Feldstein to sign like he did on his EC work but he said he forgot how! Don Martin was pretty hard to get. He didn't do a lot of shows and usually didn't like to sign.

I don't know the history, but I remember that Don Martin jumped ship to work for Cracked, and that probably made it tough for him to do shows alongside the Mad guys. I agree about Mort Drucker's signature, even though to me, at a glance, it looks like "Ert Qcker" if I'm not thinking about what I'm looking at. If memory serves, in the older days, Feldstein used to actually draw a beer stein glass for part of his signature, or at least did a few times in the EC comics.

Here is an example of the best possible Al Feldstein signatures. I saw this several years ago on eBay. I tried to win it (I was the underbidder) but whoever I was bidding against was very determined. Some day maybe this will turn up again, though I am not crossing my fingers.

154765.jpg.f98ef8b45ab9e60968226351ce79b076.jpg

So...we both like Mad...but, unlike you, I don't have any Alfred postcards or busts or any of that stuff (I have that book though), however (and I'm not sure if you've seen this or have one yourself, but I've posted it several times) I do have this original that I got from the OO:

296k9e8.jpg

That is fantastic. I want one... I dig the framing arrangement as well.

One question: Is there some sort of Photoshop fill-in effect going on with the gray area in this image?

I don't know the history, but I remember that Don Martin jumped ship to work for Cracked, and that probably made it tough for him to do shows alongside the Mad guys. I agree about Mort Drucker's signature, even though to me, at a glance, it looks like "Ert Qcker" if I'm not thinking about what I'm looking at. If memory serves, in the older days, Feldstein used to actually draw a beer stein glass for part of his signature, or at least did a few times in the EC comics.

Here is an example of the best possible Al Feldstein signatures. I saw this several years ago on eBay. I tried to win it (I was the underbidder) but whoever I was bidding against was very determined. Some day maybe this will turn up again, though I am not crossing my fingers.

Yeah, that is totally cool. It was commissioned by Jerry Weist and in his collection until he passed away. One of a kind. I asked Al for a similar one and he turned me down saying that was the only one he would do. I don't know who has it now, possibly Jim Halperin. I wouldn't sell it either if it were mine...

Any suggestions?

http://jackdavisfoundation.org/board-members

Looks like some family members there, and considering the purpose of their foundation (the study and appreciation of his work), could be they'd like to hear from a knowledgeable collector like yourself.

Many thanks! I will contact them. Maybe I can convince him since I have everybody else.

madbook2_zpsigp8xi4i.jpg

Wow! Angelo Torres, Mort Drucker, Don Martin, Al Feldstein, Jack Kamen, Sergio Aragones, Duck Edwing, De Bartolo, Will Elder, Kelly Freas, Nick Meglin, Don & Marie Severin....plus the other ones I can't remember (the image is not in front of me as I type).... Wow, wow, wow. (EDIT: Looks like Annie Gaines, and writer Stan Hart? And a few others I can't make out.)

Jerry DeFuccio and Kurtzman's wife Adeline are the other two I believe.