• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
22 22

4,786 posts in this topic

Now that's a nice copy! (thumbs u

Anyone out there know what the "Important!" caption is the circle is referring to? hm

Yes, the special note on the letters page says the cover doesn't actually represent anything that occurs in the story, but they went with it anyway because they loved it. It's a rather long-winded version . . . ;)

Anyone out there know what the "Important!" caption is the circle is referring to? hm

Yes, the special note on the letters page says the cover doesn't actually represent anything that occurs in the story, but they went with it anyway because they loved it. It's a rather long-winded version . . . ;)

Cool. Thanks.

Covers not representing what actually takes place within a comic...

...Hmm. Now that has got to be a first! lol

Yeah, there was apparently some big hoopla about it at the time - a lot of comic nerds were up in arms at being scammed out of their money due to a fraudulent cover depiction.

Here's a weird one. I have a slabbed 8.5 of Kid Colt #158 but I keep prospecting on eBay and crossing my fingers. But I've gotten the same result three times.

All three of these books have popped staples. Maybe like Spidey #36 and FF #51, something was off when the books were printed way back when. Or maybe I just have bad comic karma with this book.

MsdR6P.jpg

dyuBhI.jpg

O6YT3t.jpg

Thanks to joeypost, I finally have a decent reason to bump this thread:

tdPnaM.jpg

sweet, but since when can't the hulk beat a rat twice his size??? seriously, he takes down frost giants and what not.

Out of curiosity, do you think picture frame collecting is more of an internet/ebay niche or do you think if a dealer put out a long box or two of these (in various conditions, including nice) at a bigish show with a big sign saying what they are that people would be interested?

while i do think shows and the internet are overlapping more and more, i do think there is a disconnect between some shops and what is hot on the internet. i suspect if my main shop (in manhattan, so a lot of foot traffic) put up some oddball book that is getting $10 on the internet for $10 chances are it would not sell.

Out of curiosity, do you think picture frame collecting is more of an internet/ebay niche or do you think if a dealer put out a long box or two of these (in various conditions, including nice) at a bigish show with a big sign saying what they are that people would be interested?

while i do think shows and the internet are overlapping more and more, i do think there is a disconnect between some shops and what is hot on the internet. i suspect if my main shop (in manhattan, so a lot of foot traffic) put up some oddball book that is getting $10 on the internet for $10 chances are it would not sell.

I think it's definitely more of an internet niche. But plenty of dealers like Metropolis, Dale, Bob Storms, Comiclink, etc. are well aware of the niche and often mention when a book is a Picture Frame on their websites. Though I don't think they'd make a special sign about it for a show. If they got a new group of the books, they'd probably just contact some of us PF fans and let us know about it.

I also remember in the early days of the CGC Forums, I think awe4one and I were talking about how much we liked collecting these books, and he started calling them "Picture Book Covers" and I didn't like that descriptor, and some others joined in and we settled on "Picture Frame" covers.

I think "Picture Book" was the old term some people used, but does anyone remember "Picture Frame" being used prior to 2000?

I also remember in the early days of the CGC Forums, I think awe4one and I were talking about how much we liked collecting these books, and he started calling them "Picture Book Covers" and I didn't like that descriptor, and some others joined in and we settled on "Picture Frame" covers.

I think "Picture Book" was the old term some people used, but does anyone remember "Picture Frame" being used prior to 2000?

I hadn't heard the books called that before I saw it here on the boards. I think the boards not only popularized the term, but also did a great job of determining the list of books. Folks like you, George, Nik, and awe4one were definitely early adopters in the PF niche.

I'll cede to awe4one on that, as he was the first guy I noticed who actively collected them and I was no better than second onto that CGC ship. I always liked the books, but never really segregated them like he did.

His only fault is the sucky "Picture Book" moniker he had for them, so I had to set him straight on the proper English terminology. "They look like a frame, not a book" :insane:

I think it's definitely more of an internet niche. But plenty of dealers like Metropolis, Dale, Bob Storms, Comiclink, etc. are well aware of the niche and often mention when a book is a Picture Frame on their websites. Though I don't think they'd make a special sign about it for a show. If they got a new group of the books, they'd probably just contact some of us PF fans and let us know about it.

Speaking of which, Barton.....

Just picked up a nice new Bronze Age/ Copper Age collection and there are many picture frames in it, including Westerns and Romance books. You might stop by if you are coming to SDCC. Be good to see you.

Speaking of which, Barton.....

Just picked up a nice new Bronze Age/ Copper Age collection and there are many picture frames in it, including Westerns and Romance books. You might stop by if you are coming to SDCC. Be good to see you.

:whee: