• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

If you really want to talk rare, early and tough in high grade, try finding a bronze key with an NDS insert. :tonofbricks:

We're talking books like HFH 1, ToD 1, MP 1, etc, right?

Those books are too late (actually the HFH 1 could conceivably have one). The NDS inserts only ran from about April 1971 and stopped completely in early 1973. So you'd be looking for an ASM 100 or an IM 55 for example.

I think you may be mixed up:

Marvel Premiere 1 - April, 1972

Tomb of Dracula 1 - April, 1972

Hero for Hire 1 - June, 1972

Others would include Marvel Spotlight 2 (February, 1972), Marvel Spotlight 5 (August, 1972), Marvel Feature 1 (December, 1971), Defenders 1 (August, 1972), ASM 101 (October, 1971), FF 112 (July, 1971), Amazing Adventures 11 (March, 1972), and others.

Right time frame, but just a small note - no inserts of any kind in squarebounds, so Marvel Spotlight 2, Marvel Feature 1 and others won't have it.

nowhere near as nice as J....

Scan-150102-0002.jpg

This is from a large collection of them I found. Only other near "key" issue in there was an ASM122

Though a TON of other books. This guy was obviously a serious collector - and I doubt that he moved much (the collection had ~ 1000 books)

dave

nowhere near as nice as J....

Scan-150102-0002.jpg

This is from a large collection of them I found. Only other near "key" issue in there was an ASM122

Though a TON of other books. This guy was obviously a serious collector - and I doubt that he moved much (the collection had ~ 1000 books)

dave

Never get tired of seeing that. :cloud9:

Just goes to show how few and far between the NDS inserts are in the big boy BA keys.

-J.

If you really want to talk rare, early and tough in high grade, try finding a bronze key with an NDS insert. :tonofbricks:

Those books are too late (actually the HFH 1 could conceivably have one). The NDS inserts only ran from about April 1971 and stopped completely in early 1973. So you'd be looking for an ASM 100 or an IM 55 for example.

-J.

NDS insert ?

National Diamond Sales insert.

The much harder to find precursor to the Mark Jewelers Insert. (thumbs u

-J.

I think over the course of my collecting lifetime, I've only had two of these.

I think it depends on what era you concentrate on - I have been into picture frame books for a while and amassed a pile of them as a result.

-J.

NDS insert ?

National Diamond Sales insert.

The much harder to find precursor to the Mark Jewelers Insert. (thumbs u

-J.

Apart from their limited run I have to assume it's also because most of them were sold overseas, reducing their survival rate. (shrug)

-J.

Apart from their limited run I have to assume it's also because most of them were sold overseas, reducing their survival rate. (shrug)

I am pretty sure they were also sold at the local PX/BX stores on US bases.

I am pretty sure they were also sold at the local PX/BX stores on US bases.

I believe some were. But I think the vast majority of the NDS' were sold overseas. At least according to awe4one's article and what I have seen in other threads and on other boards. The MJ inserts were definitely more commonly sold on stateside bases, and for nearly 20 years longer.

-J.

I have to laugh at Lonzillas link.....

at least a half dozen of those are my sales -

I am keeping the IM55 and probably the ASM 122 (after I get it slabbed) -

even found some archies in the mix - and those are even more rare --- i can see that ---- tough army guy - buying archies?????

even found some archies in the mix - and those are even more rare --- i can see that ---- tough army guy - buying archies?????

I thought ASM 122 were Mark Jewlers, is there also an NDS ASM122??

I thought ASM 122 were Mark Jewlers, is there also an NDS ASM122??

--- probably mixed things up (I have a lot from the early insert era so I just group thgem all together in my mind) - it is MJ -- and also has the mennen insert if memory serves.....

Others would include Marvel Spotlight 2 (February, 1972), Marvel Spotlight 5 (August, 1972), Marvel Feature 1 (December, 1971), Defenders 1 (August, 1972), ASM 101 (October, 1971), FF 112 (July, 1971), Amazing Adventures 11 (March, 1972), and others.

You're right the HFH 1 I caught, I don't know why but I mis-read the tomb of Dracula as "10" and not a 1 and then glossed right over the "MP 1". Must have been some kind of weird comic book tourette's like response. lol

I know there's a boardie with a raw marvel spotlight 5 (I think Porcupine) with one, and I have never seen one in a MP 1. With the recent increased interest in that book I wouldn't mind having one in a 9.0+ if I could find one out there.

-J.

I sold this Marvel Spotlight #5 a few years back (to a board member I believe) that had the National Diamond Sales insert:

MarvelSpotlight5CGC60NationalDiamondInsert1stGhostRider.jpgj

You're right the HFH 1 I caught, I don't know why but I mis-read the tomb of Dracula as "10" and not a 1 and then glossed right over the "MP 1". Must have been some kind of weird comic book tourette's like response. lol

I know there's a boardie with a raw marvel spotlight 5 (I think Porcupine) with one, and I have never seen one in a MP 1. With the recent increased interest in that book I wouldn't mind having one in a 9.0+ if I could find one out there.

-J.

I sold this Marvel Spotlight #5 a few years back (to a board member I believe) that had the National Diamond Sales insert:

Wow very nice. Never seen one of those slabbed. :o

-J.

Might be worth a look through the lower grade BA longboxes to see If I overlooked any in past reviews. hm

Although, I generally recognize them by weight first, much like double covers. :grin:

-J.

That is a pretty 6.0.