• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

These black beauties, formerly mine, are now in the possession of another devoted romance collector. I hope he doesn't mind the rest of us looking...from a distance! and I never did get all six of them, just these three.

FYI, from my collecting perspective, there are additional nuggets within the ACG lineup. The most sought after are of course the Freaky Fab Four. But I also really enjoy the painted covers (six), the "shadow" or silhouette covers (six or seven), and the Schaffenberger issues (ACG has two of the only five Kurt did in the romance genre).

RomanticAdventures48fc100_zpsm2mluv8f.jpg

RomanticAdventures47fc100_zpscftmd7tk.jpg

Lovelorn49fc100_zpsgqk8u61b.jpg

IMG_5145small_zpswoodn7is.jpg

I don't think there is a single romance book in the upcoming Heritage auction. CLink seems to be the place where people are consigning their romance books.

An impulse buy for the cover story title alone. That's what I love about the non-superhero genres, you can still find stuff cheap if you're not too picky about grade. Interestingly enough, the "clown" in question is a professional comedian who towards the end of the story is actually performing as a circus clown, even better a "sad clown", after his girl leaves him and his confidence wanes.

Another story has a Don Draper/ Whitman like twist in which a woman on the run is the sole survivor of a train wreck that happens as she is admiring the wedding ring of a Korean War widow going to meet her wealthy in-laws for the first time. Naturally, there is a confusion over identity and a handsome brother to the dead soldier to be smitten. Deceit and blackmail follow, but of course love wins out.

heartthrobs22_zpsr0xdkkes.jpg

An impulse buy for the cover story title alone. That's what I love about the non-superhero genres, you can still find stuff cheap if you're not too picky about grade. Interestingly enough, the "clown" in question is a professional comedian who towards the end of the story is actually performing as a circus clown, even better a "sad clown", after his girl leaves him and his confidence wanes.

Another story has a Don Draper/ Whitman like twist in which a woman on the run is the sole survivor of a train wreck that happens as she is admiring the wedding ring of a Korean War widow going to meet her wealthy in-laws for the first time. Naturally, there is a confusion over identity and a handsome brother to the dead soldier to be smitten. Deceit and blackmail follow, but of course love wins out.

Ah, the three-headed woman. The two smaller heads are growing off her shoulder and back. (No wonder he doesn't seem to care too much for her ...)

Ah, the three-headed woman. The two smaller heads are growing off her shoulder and back. (No wonder he doesn't seem to care too much for her ...)

Yeah, and he has the mark of Cain on his forehead, so he must have done something terrible to his brother clown. Meanwhile she has a tattoo of a teardrop on her cheek, indicating that she murdered somebody in prison. She also has fingers growing out of the middle of her arm. Some of these romance comics sure get twisted.

I'm feeling DC now. So I'm going to lay down a runup ramp of gold and use it to spring right into the Silver boards. All missionaries gotta move on at some point and continue to spread the Word.

It's so fine, it's sunshine

It's the word love

Now that I know what I feel must be right

I'm here to show everybody the light

Say the word and you'll be free

Say the word and be like me

Say the word I'm thinking of

Have you heard the word is love?

GirlsLove02fc100_zpsx1qmr06i.jpg

And...that's about how long DC hung with photo covers. They turned the front cover over to the pen and pencil guys, and never looked back. And what a ride it was.. They've got a consistent point of view - you could say that DC stands for Drama Cueens.

This book is a former one of mine, but I know the owner won't mind us appreciating his beautiful book.

GirlsLove10fc100_zps074b7303.jpg