• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

For the record I think Cap will be a much better movie then Bat/Sups but I don't think the box office difference will come close to 2x. Both will be huge draws at the box office.

Lay out what you think they will do respectively, I am curious to see the argument.

It's more of a gut feeling over a defendable argument. With two major internationally known characters I just don't see the Cap 3 movie completely blowing it away with double box office numbers. I don't have a clue what either will pull in but I think Sup/Bats will do well enough Caps will not be able to double it no matter how well it does.

well my numbers of $750-900 and $1.5-$1.8 are based on actual previous results of the respective stables from which the new movies are coming from. I am curious for the numbers those who say no way, think BvS is going to do.

Will BvS exceed The Dark Knight movies?

Does anyone think Civil War, uniting two franchises, launching two major characters, and the likely death of a main one, can do anything OTHER than exceed Ironman 3?

To me, $1.5 Billion is guaranteed minimum for Civil War

For me, BvS will struggle to get to $1Bill

Hence the doubling prediction. Just curious to see some other numbers thrown out there.

Put another way, Ironman 3 doubled up Man of Steel, The increase of Civil War over Ironman 3, will be twice the jump BvS gets over man of steel, and the doubling ratio remains....

Does anyone think Civil War, uniting two franchises, launching two major characters, and the likely death of a main one, can do anything OTHER than exceed Ironman 3?

Don't you think everyone who saw Ironman 3 will go see BvS, and then some?

Maybe that's what I'm not getting. Are Marvel Zombies going to stay home out of spite? Because I'm thinking anyone who was interested in Iron Man 3 would be an audience for BvS, plus all the people who take in 'event' movies so as not to miss out on any cultural hoopla.

I see a very little chance this movie gets below 900 million when its got Bats, Superman, WW, and Aquaman. I never saw MoS at the theater, but I WILL see BvS crappy or not.

The last Bats movie did over 1B.

Edited by Rip

you know guys, bottom line, no picture hits a billion unless word of mouth is great in the first weekend, enabling followup weekends to add to the cume..

So rather than guess which will do better based on history, or the merits of the actors or characters or DC vs Marvel, if ANY of these pictures are DOA (meaning negative word of mouth where those who see it on Friday and Saturday or Wednesday nowadays) tell their friends its a stinker, the gross potential shrinks and you end up with 200-500 worldwide..

ALL these films will do big box office first week/weekend… After that, you're counting on repeat viewing plus civilians who HAVENT been told "its not worth it" by anyone they trust.

bottom line: "its the FILM stupid!"

Interestingly, according to boxofficemojo.com, based on inflation adjusted returns TDK and TDK Rises both top Iron Man 3, as well as the original Sony Spider-Man and the old school Batman from 1988. Only the Avengers has grossed more, topping TDK by $20 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

In any case, SW The Force Awakens will likely top both of them.........

Edited by kimik

Interestingly, according to boxofficemojo.com, based on inflation adjusted returns TDK and TDK Rises both top Iron Man 3, as well as the original Sony Spider-Man and the old school Batman from 1988. Only the Avengers has grossed more, topping TDK by $20 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

In any case, SW The Force Awakens will likely top both of them.........

I think what folks are banking on is Spider-Man appearing in Civil War. Of the few comic book movies that have broken $800 MM worldwide, Spider-Man was two of those films.

G6TE23D.png

But so was Batman, as has been noted already with the last two movies breaking a billion dollars worldwide with each movie. And that included the last movie overcoming the Auroro shooting on its opening night (July 20, 2012), which drove people away from the theaters for a few days for fear of this being a cult situation. I think some forget the impact this had on the first weekend.

By the way, I adjusted the 2015 inflation rate based on the latest US government CPI data published on April 17, 2015. I've noticed Box Office Mojo gets this wrong quite often.

What does B.O. Prove? Just a really stupid discussion here. lol

I just came on and caught the tailend of the discussion. I think the assumption is a given character or team can be banked on equal or greater delivery due to past results.

We all realize that can't be the case, proved by Sony in driving a great franchise into the ground.

I think the assumption is a given character or team can be banked on equal or greater delivery due to past results.

...when combined with quality craftsmanship. Sony did not show that with the Spider-Man films, but Marvel has a continued track record of it.

Feige > Sony

I'm not assuming this as a hard fast rule, just in this case.

I think the assumption is a given character or team can be banked on equal or greater delivery due to past results.

...when combined with quality craftsmanship. Sony did not show that with the Spider-Man films, but Marvel has a continued track record of it.

Feige > Sony

I'm not assuming this as a hard fast rule, just in this case.

I realize your assumption is based on a much stronger and focused creator with a proven long-term plan. Much better horse to bet on than Sadsack Sony.

But I think Snyder, Affleck, Cavill and a -script rewrite by Terrio will have a major impact at the box office. Plus, the two key DC characters being in the same film, initially fighting it out as a more sinister Lex Luthor pulls the strings.

This thread reminds me of

X-Box vs. PlayStation

WWF vs. WCW

Godzilla vs. Gamera

Red Sox vs. Yankees

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

What a great rivalry Marvel vs. DC has become.

:cloud9:

You left out:

Courageous Cat vs. The Frog :)

Description Of Epic Extra Footage Shown At Tonight's BATMAN v SUPERMAN IMAX Event

"a close up of Superman running, then running through something before we get a wide view and you see Batman, charging towards Superman in his armor suit. Batman is charging with his arms out and Superman with a huge fist like in the comics. Just as they are about to clash it cuts and then the Batman V. Superman title comes out."

qdqZxB6.png

Every attendee was given free posters and a ticket to attend a FREE preview screening of the actual movie in 2016.

CDEjOs8WAAAAR-m.jpg

CDEMCGNUIAArzHi.jpg

Taste in women is subjective. I think both of those women are gorgeous.

I realize that. Still...get some glasses, Roy. ;)

Personally, I think most of the women guys here find attractive aren't.

Maybe some taste is in order for some of you guys? lol

Well Chip likes Karen Page from Daredevil... :sick:

You don't think Woll is attractive? Wow.

Nope.