• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

My interest in Adventure is very specialized to the Kirby books. My fav SA issue is, no surprise, #256, the Green Arrow origin! I just picked up another (low grade) copy. I think this book has some room to grow, as it seems silver DC is having something of a Renaissance!

My interest in Adventure is very specialized to the Kirby books. My fav SA issue is, no surprise, #256, the Green Arrow origin! I just picked up another (low grade) copy. I think this book has some room to grow, as it seems silver DC is having something of a Renaissance!

....that one is awesome. I also like many of the Legion issues.....from when I was a kid. They're still kind of affordable..... Bob Storms had some nice CGC 9.0's in his New Arrivals at less than a hundred. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...I love those stupid things :cloud9: ...... when I was 6 I lived next door to a 12 year old who loved comics. He was giant, but he tolerated us to a degree, even teaching me how to draw. This was mid 60's when the Legion were still a big seller. He had discovered Marvel about a year earlier and whenever I brought new Marvels over to show him, he'd back me into a corner and threaten to beat the pulp out of me (his words...) if I didn't trade them to him for his old D.C.s. In his defense, he'd usually give me several DCs for one Marvel.... and I read a lot of Legion stories that way. He wasn't all bad, he taught my pals and I how to do square roots and build a Treefort..... that ended up being his treefort lol GOD BLESS....

...I love those stupid things :cloud9: ...... when I was 6 I lived next door to a 12 year old who loved comics. He was giant, but he tolerated us to a degree, even teaching me how to draw. This was mid 60's when the Legion were still a big seller. He had discovered Marvel about a year earlier and whenever I brought new Marvels over to show him, he'd back me into a corner and threaten to beat the pulp out of me (his words...) if I didn't trade them to him for his old D.C.s. In his defense, he'd usually give me several DCs for one Marvel.... and I read a lot of Legion stories that way. He wasn't all bad, he taught my pals and I how to do square roots and build a Treefort..... that ended up being his treefort lol GOD BLESS....

I am wondering which square root method you were taught in pre-calculator days. Was it through using four figure tables? i.e. looking up base 10 log, dividing by two and looking up antilog? Or by another method if you remember?

I am wondering which square root method you were taught in pre-calculator days. Was it through using four figure tables? i.e. looking up base 10 log, dividing by two and looking up antilog? Or by another method if you remember?

..... I'm not a mathematician, but I did ultimately get the highest score in the School on my HS Trigonometry exam.......thanks in part to Phillip(his name). Remember, I was only 7 or so at this time and had a good command of a basic multiplication table.Basically he just showed us how to square a number and by reverse engineering that, we could arrive at the Square Root.... he made it fun, cool, and uncomplicated, a basic introduction to the concept.....plus I gained a love for the Legion that wouldn't have otherwise happened. In my neighborhood in the mid 60's it had already become Marvel turf.....in large part due to the cartoons, I'd imagine. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

..... I'm not a mathematician, but I did ultimately get the highest score in the School on my HS Trigonometry exam.......thanks in part to Phillip(his name). Remember, I was only 7 or so at this time and had a good command of a basic multiplication table.Basically he just showed us how to square a number and by reverse engineering that, we could arrive at the Square Root.... he made it fun, cool, and uncomplicated, a basic introduction to the concept.....plus I gained a love for the Legion that wouldn't have otherwise happened. In my neighborhood in the mid 60's it had already become Marvel turf.....in large part due to the cartoons, I'd imagine. GOD BLESS...

Sorry, I did not appreciate you were quite so young at the time. Acquiring a love for the Legion is indeed a lifelong gift in the world of comic books!

True that. It sounds as if you may have followed the path of Mathematics into your professional sphere. We used to razz the teachers back in school about the practical applications of Math...... no one ever pointed out to us the correlation between good math skills and high grade comic books. Recently we had been watching a neighbor's kid while she was at work and her math skills were not so good...... she would wail, "I just don't understand it !" and I explained to her just how many more Monster High Dolls she could end up with if she became good at math and then chose a job that exploited those skills. She's starting to understand it a WHOLE lot better now lol GOD BLESS...

I didn't learn this in school (it was pre-calculator days, but post teaching this), but the way I learned was the second method, the algorithm method, shown on this page:

Break the number into pairs and solve.

I didn't learn this in school (it was pre-calculator days, but post teaching this), but the way I learned was the second method, the algorithm method, shown on this page:

That is what I was originally wondering about. It is likely math methods taught at school back then might have varied a lot rather than a national approach being adopted.

That is what I was originally wondering about. It is likely math methods taught at school back then might have varied a lot rather than a national approach being adopted.

Could be, I don't know. I just remember not really learning this in school, my dad - a mechanical engineer - taught me when I asked about it. I don't remember being taught anything in school about calculating square roots, we learned about them but with perfect squares. Others you just kept as radicals.

Not wanting to be irrational, but really it's just a load of old surds!

Sorry to say, but this fellow with a math minor had to look up what a "surd" was. Don't think I've ever run into that term before.

Anybody got any new stuff they want to show off?

Sure! I've been meaning to post some of these here for a while.

Not quite as nice as steelcity's, but a recent purchase of mine.

Adventure221_zpsbc37vaeh.jpg

A few others:

Adventure233_zps6vebpwd8.jpg

Adventure248_zpsvj3nct51.jpg

Adventure257_zpswf9hwsc7.jpg

Adventure270_zpslnfyiwc9.jpg

A cover with both gorillas AND Bizarros? This one must have flown off the stands!

Adventure295_zpscpncelok.jpg

Adventures #248 and #257 always seemed especially scarce yet these days there seems to be regular availability on eBay. Generally it is easier to find particular issues now than ever before though some will still be a problem.

Yeah, I picked both of those up on eBay.

A fairly recent purchase. It's not HG so those HG collectors, look away and close your eyes or throw tomatoes at it but it's a pretty LG copy and it didn't cost a zillion bucks.

Adventure Comics 256 in CGC 4.0 with OW/W PQ containing the origin of Green Arrow as drawn by the King:

001_3.jpg