• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

Well, if TWD and Outcast are already being done without Universal, what's that leave? Skybound doesn't really have THAT many properties. I'd have to think Invincible is at the top of a short list. I'm shocked there isn't more discussion in here regarding this announcement and the possibilities it brings. You guys. Props to Mike, my man!

I'd personally like to see Witch Doctor.

Manifest Destiny would be really interesting to see as well.

I'd love to see Invincible, but for some reason I feel like it probably won't come to be - I'd be the first in line to buy a ticket if it happens though.

Why should marvel get all the superhero money....easy to start an invincible movie franchise, adults only though

Well, from my perspective you just answered your own question.

I'm not sure they'd want to make the story as written into a movie. The violence and blood is a bit too fully on display I think. Most studios would see it as a huge risk because of the cost and a rating over PG-13.

To put it in perspective, Deadpool struggled to get made for some of the same reasons, and we know how much larger that audience is.

i would hope they would stay as close to the material as possible. i think it definitely should have as much blood and gore as possible. anything less would be a disservice to the original material. will they tone it down? almost definitely, primarily for the reason listed above, more people will go. i really am glad about this deal. i can't picture any other studio besides Disney that id want to distribute and finance any Skybound properties. i hope no Witch Doctor, but, the occult stuff is way popular these days. bring back SD!

i would hope they would stay as close to the material as possible. i think it definitely should have as much blood and gore as possible. anything less would be a disservice to the original material. will they tone it down? almost definitely, primarily for the reason listed above, more people will go. i really am glad about this deal. i can't picture any other studio besides Disney that id want to distribute and finance any Skybound properties. i hope no Witch Doctor, but, the occult stuff is way popular these days. bring back SD!

Witch Doctor is more in the funny vein than the occult, but it does have both. It also happens to have great design work and art by Ketner.

I guess they could tone it way way way down...not sure the eyeballs and heads exploding and such really adds a lot to the Invincible story.

It adds to the visual, but I don't feel like it is a necessary draw. Invincible is a great comic book that could be easily done in the same format/ratings violence wise as Man of Steel. Hell the Superman/Zod fight was the closest we have seen to the Conquest arc live action yet.

I guess they could tone it way way way down...not sure the eyeballs and heads exploding and such really adds a lot to the Invincible story.

It adds to the visual, but I don't feel like it is a necessary draw. Invincible is a great comic book that could be easily done in the same format/ratings violence wise as Man of Steel. Hell the Superman/Zod fight was the closest we have seen to the Conquest arc live action yet.

My problem with that is that it just turns Invincible into any other family friendly superhero movie, so why bother making it? As I said previously, it can work for just the origin story maybe, but that's it... and what do you do when you get to the end and father and son have to fight it out? Do you tone that down to? If you do, can you tell the rest of the story in an accurate manner (assuming they got the chance to what with box office, reception, etc)?

The violence in Invincible actually plays an important story role because it is seemingly something inherent to the Viltrumite nature and is something Mark struggles with over and over again.

Maybe some talented film maker can make it work, I don't know, but I'd be really concerned if I heard there was a PG Invincible movie in the works.

My problem with that is that it just turns Invincible into any other family friendly superhero movie, so why bother making it? As I said previously, it can work for just the origin story maybe, but that's it... and what do you do when you get to the end and father and son have to fight it out? Do you tone that down to? If you do, can you tell the rest of the story in an accurate manner (assuming they got the chance to what with box office, reception, etc)?

The violence in Invincible actually plays an important story role because it is seemingly something inherent to the Viltrumite nature and is something Mark struggles with over and over again.

Maybe some talented film maker can make it work, I don't know, but I'd be really concerned if I heard there was a PG Invincible movie in the works.

How about a Netflix show?

I doubt that would happen. Universal works almost exclusively with HBO for video streaming and picture streaming. As mentioned in this article two years ago, HBO extended their contract with Universal to last 10 years, for the very purpose of keeping their works away from Netflix

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/06/hbo-inks-exclusive-deal-with-universal-to-keep-content-out-of-netflixs-hands/

With Skybound signing a contract with Universal, this effectively means zero chance of any film, live action, animated, or even puppet series appearing on Netflix.

Fate is a cruel mistress.

So I guess we have to wait for that most rare of events - an "R" rated big budget summer movie. It happens, but it doesn't happen every day and it typically needs a big name attached to it.

This is why I see Invincible as being so unlikely for any media deals. It isn't impossible, but it would be out of left field, or it would be vastly changed from what it is on the page.

I doubt that would happen. Universal works almost exclusively with HBO for video streaming and picture streaming. As mentioned in this article two years ago, HBO extended their contract with Universal to last 10 years, for the very purpose of keeping their works away from Netflix

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/06/hbo-inks-exclusive-deal-with-universal-to-keep-content-out-of-netflixs-hands/

With Skybound signing a contract with Universal, this effectively means zero chance of any film, live action, animated, or even puppet series appearing on Netflix.

An HBO show sounds devine :cloud9:

Edited by Official Chris S.

Picked up a CGC 9.6 Invincible #12 at a small comic show here in town over the weekend, only paid $40 for it, so I'm pretty happy with that! It's rare to see many Invincible books at that show. He had #2 and #3 as well, but I'm saving some cash for C2E2 next week.

The fanboy in me wants an Invincible movie

BUT, I feel like they would mess it up

The last thing I would want is for them to do it and it become another Spawn (wanted it to be better) or other superhero movie with lost postential

Universal did Mark Millar's Kick-As$... a Rated R comic book movie. Just thought I'd point that out.

I assume Kirkman would have enough of a say in the creation of the movie to make sure they didn't "Spawn" it up.

Edited by mikerb2223