• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

To counterbalance all the great finds posted in this thread, a little call back to reality of hunting comics in the wild. File this under "lose some, lose some more":

Out early this morning to hit several garage sales that advertised comics.

First stop (a half hour drive away) - guy has five or six long boxes and a couple shorties stacked in his driveway. I flip a few lids and see bags and boards, flip through and see a bunch of 80s and 90s titles. Best thing I see is about 25 copies of Conan 275, some other goodies, but mostly bulk 90s stuff. Guy says $1,500 gets you everything. I ask about breaking it up. That wouldn't be fair is the response. Okay, we're done here.

Next stop (ten minutes away from the first) - guy is pulling stuff out of his garage. I approach - looking for comics you had listed. Response - I have a few somewhere; then, I don't think you want what I have; then, that's it. Declined to look for them while I waited. Done here.

Last stop (back past the house 10 minutes in the other direction) - guy has 5-6 shorties in his garage. I go through the 2 two for a buck boxes and pull out a couple Liefeld New Mutant/X-Force issues, a Fine-ish Transformers 1, couple second prints like X-Force 1 gold background. The other short boxes he says are more and he'll need to price them. He offers to let me take a look. Go through them and pull out Secret Wars 1-12, death of supes black bag, a few Supes 75s, a couple NM 87 second prints, nothing great. Guy looks at the stack and says, I can't sell these now I need to price them and I don't have time to do that now. Left them there with my phone number but I'm already figuring the guy will come up with some crazy number. Hope he doesn't spend too much time pricing them because I likely won't be going back to get them for whatever he quotes.

So, about three hours of comic hunting and all I have to show for it is this long post.

To all of you who think I should be going back after a score and paying more money when I happen to find something worthwhile like some kind of comic book buying angel...think of this story and think again.

Got a lead on a sale tomorrow morning that has comics listed....

To counterbalance all the great finds posted in this thread, a little call back to reality of hunting comics in the wild. File this under "lose some, lose some more":

Out early this morning to hit several garage sales that advertised comics.

First stop (a half hour drive away) - guy has five or six long boxes and a couple shorties stacked in his driveway. I flip a few lids and see bags and boards, flip through and see a bunch of 80s and 90s titles. Best thing I see is about 25 copies of Conan 275, some other goodies, but mostly bulk 90s stuff. Guy says $1,500 gets you everything. I ask about breaking it up. That wouldn't be fair is the response. Okay, we're done here.

Next stop (ten minutes away from the first) - guy is pulling stuff out of his garage. I approach - looking for comics you had listed. Response - I have a few somewhere; then, I don't think you want what I have; then, that's it. Declined to look for them while I waited. Done here.

Last stop (back past the house 10 minutes in the other direction) - guy has 5-6 shorties in his garage. I go through the 2 two for a buck boxes and pull out a couple Liefeld New Mutant/X-Force issues, a Fine-ish Transformers 1, couple second prints like X-Force 1 gold background. The other short boxes he says are more and he'll need to price them. He offers to let me take a look. Go through them and pull out Secret Wars 1-12, death of supes black bag, a few Supes 75s, a couple NM 87 second prints, nothing great. Guy looks at the stack and says, I can't sell these now I need to price them and I don't have time to do that now. Left them there with my phone number but I'm already figuring the guy will come up with some crazy number. Hope he doesn't spend too much time pricing them because I likely won't be going back to get them for whatever he quotes.

So, about three hours of comic hunting and all I have to show for it is this long post.

To all of you who think I should be going back after a score and paying more money when I happen to find something worthwhile like some kind of comic book buying angel...think of this story and think again.

Got a lead on a sale tomorrow morning that has comics listed....

You sum up a dilemma that I never reach. I tend not to have time to spend on what you did even though I dream of the "score". For me it's kind of like playing the Lottery. I never do so I'll never win. lol

Yea been going to goodwill for a few years... never saw any comics.. then the video games started disappearring. Apparently they now send the games to some central facility(at least this goodwill is doing that.) Probably to maximize profits from shopgoodwill.com or something. Really pissed me off because they're already getting this stuff for free and it kinda feels like they're robbing the community that sustains them.

Yea been going to goodwill for a few years... never saw any comics.. then the video games started disappearring. Apparently they now send the games to some central facility(at least this goodwill is doing that.) Probably to maximize profits from shopgoodwill.com or something. Really pissed me off because they're already getting this stuff for free and it kinda feels like they're robbing the community that sustains them.

all this is is greed and sooner or later it'll come back and bite them in the :devil:

I haven't found anything good at a goodwill in a long time. I don't even look for comics there as I never expect any but I never see old video games and I never see board games. I find it hard to believe they are unable to stock any board games at the locations I have been to.

Yea it's been alost two years since my last good score. I just go to kill time sometimes now. Find an occasional cd or something. Whenever I'm at the one about 30 min away they still have games but that's not too often. It really is kind of sickening. I mean yea you'll get more money sending stuff off but it seems wrong. That and they've lost other sales from me because I'm not going there and browsing very often anymore. It kinda changed my view on them because instead of having the awesome thrill of the hunt at a thrift store I kinda view them as more of a parasite in ways. Oh well what can you do. At least savers still has games/comics and it's thrift sale season

all this is is greed and sooner or later it'll come back and bite them in the :devil:

Yeah Goodwill is all about that greed :eyeroll:

Not a bad little haul today. There hasn't been much to crow about lately but this one panned out nicely for what I paid. :)

16541241953_bb26c16b99_o.jpg

16953999667_3c936ddc87_o.jpg

16953999447_87841c3be6_o.jpg

Nice haul :applause:

Yeah Goodwill is all about that greed :eyeroll:

Goodwill hunting has never really been a favorite of mine...

oMrsoBw.jpg?1

:kidaround:

Years ago I would luck out and find some nice LPs and maybe a copy or two of a vintage hardback... Never any comics though... I have however found treasure troves of comics at smaller thrift stores.

Bought 7 long boxes and two shorts about a month ago. Same seller calls me and says he found 4 more long boxes a few weeks later. Went and bought them all this Friday. Had three copies of WWBK 32 in 9.2-9.8 condition.

2 copies 9.2/4

1 copy 9.6/9.8

Along with 997 other SA and BA books. All the '74-76 books were OO.

96 High grade giant size issues in all.

:cloud9: been a good weekend

All in total probably 3500 comics. Many sweet upgrades and duplicates to sell.

Sent off a bunch of booka to CGC this last week so we will see what they say in 4-6 months.

154624.jpg.6c6471c8cf05b036bd14ac9236865b27.jpg

Bought 7 long boxes and two shorts about a month ago. Same seller calls me and says he found 4 more long boxes a few weeks later. Went and bought them all this Friday. Had three copies of WWBK 32 in 9.2-9.8 condition.

2 copies 9.2/4

1 copy 9.6/9.8

Along with 997 other SA and BA books. All the '74-76 books were OO.

96 High grade giant size issues in all.

:cloud9: been a good weekend

All in total probably 3500 comics. Many sweet upgrades and duplicates to sell.

Sent off a bunch of booka to CGC this last week so we will see what they say in 4-6 months.

As you can imagine, I'm jealous. :)

Great score, my friend!

It is kind of strange. When I donate to the Salvation Army, people make comments about me being real religious. If I give to goodwill-- they say stuff about it really being a big business and not a charity. One time, I was trying to donate an old TV but the lady at the Goodwill trailer wouldn't take it. She said they only take flat screens now. I was not happy hearing this-- as I thought this stuff was supposed to help people in need. Do all the poor people in the world have no need for a tube TV? I got kind of upset-- left the donation trailer in a huff and decided to only give to the Salvation Army from then on-- since they never said no to a donation regardless of what it I was giving.

anyway-- I think I have to try the bigger Goodwill store instead. this one was mostly clothes racks.

I think Goodwill has taken in too many tube tvs that they can't keep them or all or give them all away. Some of the Goodwill stores here sell tube TVs for 50 cents or a dollar depending on the size.

Ive been at goodwill looking for an old VHS player. I threw mine out a few years ago and forgot that all my old kidds and vacation stuff is on vhs., Now I need to get one for cheap.

Buy this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vhs+converter+to+digital&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=31659659859&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12419910257167671257&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_l0x49pxzx_b

I would try to make more of a dent into it though.

My brother was insistent on keeping his VHS - there was definitely a lot of degradation to the quality and I don't know where he was storing stuff but in one case, one of them snapped.

Today's haul... Was an unusual one...

RGJiLvw.jpg?2

36 inches from head to hilt... I'm a sucker for vintage tools :cloud9:

sCW7HWA.jpg?1

And an assortment of some fantastic rings...

If anyone is interested in any or all of these rings :baiting: PM me...

It is kind of strange. When I donate to the Salvation Army, people make comments about me being real religious. If I give to goodwill-- they say stuff about it really being a big business and not a charity. One time, I was trying to donate an old TV but the lady at the Goodwill trailer wouldn't take it. She said they only take flat screens now. I was not happy hearing this-- as I thought this stuff was supposed to help people in need. Do all the poor people in the world have no need for a tube TV? I got kind of upset-- left the donation trailer in a huff and decided to only give to the Salvation Army from then on-- since they never said no to a donation regardless of what it I was giving.

anyway-- I think I have to try the bigger Goodwill store instead. this one was mostly clothes racks.

Lugging CRTs are heavy as hell, and nobody wants 'em. Why wouldn't you check beforehand to see if they'd take it instead of bringing it there and getting pissed-off.

Also, in my city there are many individuals/companies that haul tvs away for free. You don't even have to leave your house.