• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried the Epson wf-7610 or wf-7620 for scanning CGC slabbed books? I need a new printer and saw those two at Staples. I of course didn't have a CGC book with me, but those two were very wide and long. Thanks guy!

Has anyone tried the Epson wf-7610 or wf-7620 for scanning CGC slabbed books? I need a new printer and saw those two at Staples. I of course didn't have a CGC book with me, but those two were very wide and long. Thanks guy!

I can't say with certainty, but I would guess you are likely to get blurry scans of slabbed books. It isn't the size that's the problem with most current scanners, it's the scanning technology they use. There is a discussion of this point earlier in this thread.

I just picked up a used Microtek i700. Haven't received it yet, but it was cheap enough to take a risk. I plan on using it with a Windows 7 machine and Vuescan. I will let you all know how it works out.

Scanner will be delivered on Monday. I'll post scans Monday evening. I'm excited to see how the i700 performs.

It seems I found a way to get rid of the rainbow affect. Just put the CGC in the middle of the scanner. On my HP Officejet 7410 AIO. I found another in the central Florida region for $50.00 he just called me I am picking it up as a spare. I'll just use it at work so I can scan all day lol.

CGC%209.9%20001.jpg

I can't say with certainty, but I would guess you are likely to get blurry scans of slabbed books. It isn't the size that's the problem with most current scanners, it's the scanning technology they use. There is a discussion of this point earlier in this thread.

Thank you for the help here :cool:

600%20dpi%20001.jpg

Google the best scanners to use for CGC comics there is a list out there. I tried four scanners at Staples and they all sucked.

Here is a 600dpi scan

Need to bring up the black and white a little bit...Like this!!

600%20dpi%20001_zps0nchkfbh.jpg

I received my Microtek i700 today. It works great and was cheap on eBay. Here are a couple of scans at 150 dpi with default color settings in Vuescan.

I think they turned out pretty good and will probably get better as I play with the color settings. I picked a predominately white book and one with more color to better compare the images. You can see some of the lint on the scanner glass. I just need to clean the glass with a lint free cloth and it comes right off. I just haven't done a good job with it yet.

7oO2U0B.jpg

274NPb4.jpg

I added more black, white, yellow and a little blue.

How did you determine how much to add? Is this the kind of thing I can figure out and set once or will it be different for each slab?

Thanks. I'm a complete scanning/editing noob.

Just bumping this for a boardie.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.