• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Marvel's positive portrayal of Science and problem solving inspired a lot of people to higher learning.

...if only they would have inspired the people making this film.

Quote of the day. Just saw this trailer in the theater. I must say, I was equally uninspired.

Looks like a mock-up for a new stadium.

...actually, as a long time reader of Discover magazine..... it seems to resemble components that could be used for a miniature Particle Accelerator..... like the ones used in the recent discoveries of the "God Particle" a.k.a. Higgs Bosen. I could see where something like this could be applied to the opening of the Negative Zone.... at least from a fictional standpoint. I'm one of those weirdos who likes some hard pseudo science to increase believability....like Intersteller. Not to mention the possibility of inspiring a future Einstein. Back in the day, Marvel's positive portrayal of Science and problem solving inspired a lot of people to higher learning. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

wow. There are other science weirdos here. :o

Great hypothesis.

It's interesting to remember that the Thing was one the most popular characters in the Marvel Universe in the 60's and 70's and most of the 80's, but now is barely even used in the comics.

From 74 to 83 he was in two full time comics (Fantastic Four and Marvel Two-in-one - THREE if you count the reprints of the FF in Marvel's Greatest Comics which published through 1981), and made numerous appearances in other comics (Super Villain Team-Up, Defenders, Captain Marvel, Marvel Fanfare, etc.) as well as the FF Annuals and Giant Size and Treasury Editions.... then even had his own 36 issue series after Two-in-one ended.

But then... what happened?

Byrne booted him out of the FF and replaced him with She-Hulk and it's been downhill ever since....

Really a shame because he's such a great personality and wonderfully complex character...

Word.

So how does the next Fantastic Four trailer going to top the recent Star Wars and Batman vs. Superman trailers we just saw?

:juggle:

That Batman vs. Superman trailer was terrible.

So how does the next Fantastic Four trailer going to top the recent Star Wars and Batman vs. Superman trailers we just saw?

No it wasn't. It's wasn't anything amazing yet. But it gave clarity to part of the tension from Man of Steel will be Superman being viewed as one of the aliens that caused all that destruction.

I can see how Luthor would use this to convince Superman to do something beneficial to mankind, like taking out a vigilante like Batman.

No it wasn't. It's wasn't anything amazing yet. But it gave clarity to part of the tension from Man of Steel will be Superman being viewed as one of the aliens that caused all that destruction.

I can see how Luthor would use this to convince Superman to do something beneficial to mankind, like taking out a vigilante like Batman.

Yes it was terrible. Pretentious, portentous piffle.

Yes it was terrible. Pretentious, portentous piffle.

OK kids, today's secret word of the day is piffle.

When you hear the word 'piffle', scream as loud as you can.

:ohnoez:

I do have to agree the more successful studio that also ties its license to merchandising will bring the greatest value. And with Marvel, it has utilized its Disney parent wisely in distributing characters that otherwise would never get attention. Even a few years back before all the news about X-Men: Apocalypse or Guardians of the Galaxy, I was seeing figures from these movies like Apocalypse at a Walmart through the mini-figure collection.

Warner on the other hand had allowed characters like Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Catwoman - which could have appeal to female collectors - to become limited collector items. And when you visit Walmart or Target, Marvel characters usually have a 2:1 ratio over DC character distribution. And the DC/Warner section is primarily dominated by Batman or Superman figures in different colors. Though over the past year, I have noticed DC changing this now, and starting to distribute Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman more through these retailers in addition to the Big Two.

License Magazine - Top 150 Global Licensors

In looking at the top of the list, it is no surprise at all Disney Consumer Products is the top licensor globally valued at $40.9 billion. But that is a combination of traditional Disney characters, Marvel, Star Wars and ESPN products. How much of that is made up of Marvel characters is not really declared. But if you go to Disney Consumer Products' website, it is probably stated somewhere on there.

Disney Consumer Products

Warner is much smaller in its licensing, but still #7 on the list with $6 billion. At one point when they had the Warner Studios stores, they had extensive superhero products throughout. But when they had to close most of these stores, it cut off that form of direct distribution leading to a heavier focus on resellers. Even the Warner Consumer Products site does a weak job of telling its story compared to Disney. Though Disney has done this for so long, and heavily pushes licensed products, to be fair they would message this more.

Warner Brothers Consumer Products

I do believe the head of Warner is putting a lot more focus into DC products going forward after seeing Disney/Marvel succeed. So that gap may close some. But its a long road ahead.

FANTASTIC FOUR Trailer Has Been Classified

According to the Alberta Film Classification Board, the trailer is rated PG and will be 2 minutes and 37 seconds in length.

Fox's CinemaCon panel will be the morning of this Thursday, April 23. Perhaps the trailer will officially go online then. Those of you heading out to see Avengers: Age of Ultron next week may get a look at the trailer on the big screen.