• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

Love that one Steve. I would be hard pressed to name my favorite EC but the first one that comes to mind is Crypt #23. The one with the guy trapped in the crypt with the corpse coming out of the casket. That one really shook me up when my uncle gave it to me as a kid!

(thumbs u

TalesfromtheCrypt23_zps894c002b.jpg

OK, here's mine. Interesting story on this one. I corresponded with Al through the mail for a while. I had mentioned this issue as being one that scared the outta me as a kid. My copy got pitched by my mom when she found it. One day, I got an envelope in the mail from Al and this was in it with a cool note. I will never forget his generiousity. One of the coolest creators I've ever met! (sorry about the writing on the cover...)

comtalescrypt23_zpsppxmwffk.jpg

That's a great Feldstein story - I met him once at SDCC briefly and he was kind enough to sign an issue of Crime Patrol for me.

TFTC #23 is a favorite of mine as well, the claustrophobic and ghoulish nature of the cover (plus the wink, as noted above) is quite striking.

I'd like to get some analysis from the EC experts among you; how different do you think the market for ECs would be today if the Gaines file copies didn't exist, or if he only put aside one or two complete sets? Do you think the existence of the Gaines copies helps or hurts the value of non-gaines copies (higher and lower grade)?

I'd like to get some analysis from the EC experts among you; how different do you think the market for ECs would be today if the Gaines file copies didn't exist, or if he only put aside one or two complete sets? Do you think the existence of the Gaines copies helps or hurts the value of non-gaines copies (higher and lower grade)?

Doubt that I'd qualify as an expert of any sort, but I don't see how the Gaines file copies would affect the value of any other EC out there. They are simply relatively unique examples, in a class of their own.

Doubt that I'd qualify as an expert of any sort, but I don't see how the Gaines file copies would affect the value of any other EC out there. They are simply relatively unique examples, in a class of their own.

I am pretty sure if there were no gaines files copies then NM examples would sell for a lot more than they currently do as supply of such examples would be dramatically decreased.

I believe that the introduction of the Gaines file copies reignited interest in ECs across the board. Made old time and new collectors take notice. This new interest helped prices increase in all grades, raw and slabbed IMO.

I believe that the introduction of the Gaines file copies reignited interest in ECs across the board. Made old time and new collectors take notice. This new interest helped prices increase in all grades, raw and slabbed IMO.

Wasn't that about the same time as the HBO show though? Might have my dates wrong, but if those were around the same time it would be hard to separate the impact of the two.

The original question is a hard one - my first inclination is to say that non Gaines copies in HG would be worth more simply due to the lower supply. However you can look at VOH 12, since with only one Gaines copy it's essentially a test case for the question. The price I paid for my White Mountain copy is higher but still comparable to what I paid for my similarly graded HOF 15 (1) Northford, an issue which has the standard compliment of Gaines copies. So at least in this example, the lack of VOH 12 Gaines copies doesn't seem to be pushing up prices of other HG copies.

I am pretty sure if there were no gaines files copies then NM examples would sell for a lot more than they currently do as supply of such examples would be dramatically decreased.

Are you suggesting the GF copies dramatically increased the supply of NM books? I hardly think so, given that each title had -I believe- but a dozen or less copies.

Are you suggesting the GF copies dramatically increased the supply of NM books? I hardly think so, given that each title had -I believe- but a dozen or less copies.

I think a dozen NM-ranged copies is pretty significant. If you pull up the census data on a random EC book, you'll typically find a dozen or so that have graded in the NM range. If you were to take any Gaines file copies out of the picture, that would likely eliminate most of the highest graded issues, and that in-turn could likely have a significant impact on what higher grade and even mid-grade copies sell for.

I'm just wondering if a lack of high grade copies would make ECs more or less desirable, as it is sometimes the case that when something is too hard to find, it deters collectors from jumping on board.

I think a dozen NM-ranged copies is pretty significant. If you pull up the census data on a random EC book, you'll typically find a dozen or so that have graded in the NM range. If you were to take any Gaines file copies out of the picture, that would likely eliminate most of the highest graded issues, and that in-turn could likely have a significant impact on what higher grade and even mid-grade copies sell for.

I'm just wondering if a lack of high grade copies would make ECs more or less desirable, as it is sometimes the case that when something is too hard to find, it deters collectors from jumping on board.

Yeah, a dozen is a lot of high-grade copies for early 1950s books. For instance, I doubt there is any DC book from that era with that many high-grade copies.

Yes, in that context you would certainly be right. Not collecting slabbed books, however, I was considering the question just as in regards to raw books, and given that, I still feel that the from one to a dozen GF copies would have nary an impact on the overall (raw) market.