• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

if people actually read the books they would see the HUGE difference in the two psylocke characters and would say WTF who is this BRIT chick, not even remotely close to the Asian Ninja version which we all know and love

I agree, but she is still the same character.

Same as Bucky and the Winter Soldier, Batgirl and Oracle, etc., etc.

I was never a fan of the original, but have always liked the ninja version.

The better comparison is Adam Warlock. What's the differences between FF #67 and Marvel Premiere #1? The market believes Marvel Premiere #1 is an important first appearance. Why than isn't X-Men #256 considered the same? It's some sort of nerd hypocrisy and I'm calling it out into the open. :insane:lol

I may not know much, but I also know that Uncanny X-Men 213 during Mutant Massacre is the first time she is called Psylocke and Joins the X-Men. SO why isn't that one catching heat? lol

if people actually read the books they would see the HUGE difference in the two psylocke characters and would say WTF who is this BRIT chick, not even remotely close to the Asian Ninja version which we all know and love

The better comparison is Adam Warlock. What's the differences between FF #67 and Marvel Premiere #1? The market believes Marvel Premiere #1 is an important first appearance. Why than isn't X-Men #256 considered the same? It's some sort of nerd hypocrisy and I'm calling it out into the open. :insane:lol

I may not know much, but I also know that Uncanny X-Men 213 during Mutant Massacre is the first time she is called Psylocke and Joins the X-Men. SO why isn't that one catching heat? lol

Good question. Back to the example of Adam Warlock, the name change from "Him" to Adam Warlock seems to be viewed as a lesser important development for the character than the general over-haul these two experience that help ultimately define their role in the Marvel Universe. (shrug)

Edited by whetteon

I don't know either . . . but I am going to add those details to my next XM 213 pitch! :grin:

It's the same character, with the same name and the same powers.

#256 isn't Psylocke's first appearance any more than #260 is the first appearance of Colossus.

"I didn't care about the character before she became a hot ninja" is not sufficient grounds for claiming this to be a first appearance.

2c

#256 isn't Psylocke's first appearance any more than #260 is the first appearance of Colossus.

"I didn't care about the character before she became a hot ninja" is not sufficient grounds for claiming this to be a first appearance.

2c

:facepalm:

From Marvel's website:

Psylocke's original powers were precognition, telepathy, mental bolts, mind control, and generating illusions. After Roma resurrected her, Betsy was briefly invisible to all mechanical detection devices. She could generate a "psychic knife" to stun or kill opponents. The Crimson Dawn gave her the power to travel via shadows, and to become virtually invisible in same. After swapping powers with Jean Grey, Betsy could create force fields, move objects with her mind, and generate energy blades.

So even Marvel know's there were vast changes made to the character from when she was introduced as a blonde British lady to becoming an Asian spy.

The overhaul on Psylocke was so massive, it's almost like an entirely new character.

I remember in the 90s kids saying "Who's the broad with the cloak?" regarding books pre-256.

what kids in the 90's were saying 'broad'?

Those mugs that would hang out on the corner in front of the 5-and-dime?

I was always sore at 'em because they'd make fun of my bike with baseball cards in the spokes, but I secretly think they were jealous.

-slym

The overhaul on Psylocke was so massive, it's almost like an entirely new character.

I remember in the 90s kids saying "Who's the broad with the cloak?" regarding books pre-256.

The ones in Surrey. Ask Greggy.

I probably missed something later, but I thought the 90s X-men book revealed that they were really two different characters. Somewhere in the 20s. It's been so long and convoluted.

Patrick

I probably missed something later, but I thought the 90s X-men book revealed that they were really two different characters. Somewhere in the 20s. It's been so long and convoluted.

Patrick

They did do that, then reversed it, I believe.

I was always sore at 'em because they'd make fun of my bike with baseball cards in the spokes, but I secretly think they were jealous.

-slym

kc3ey.jpg

Patrick

Claremont started writing stories like he was apparently brainwashed in that period, so it would not surprise me. Psylocke was a very nice character before that mess.

Sinatra's?

Sinatra's?

You mean Buzzetta? hm

-slym

kc3ey.jpg

lol

2c

From Marvel's website:

Psylocke's original powers were precognition, telepathy, mental bolts, mind control, and generating illusions. After Roma resurrected her, Betsy was briefly invisible to all mechanical detection devices. She could generate a "psychic knife" to stun or kill opponents. The Crimson Dawn gave her the power to travel via shadows, and to become virtually invisible in same. After swapping powers with Jean Grey, Betsy could create force fields, move objects with her mind, and generate energy blades.

So even Marvel know's there were vast changes made to the character from when she was introduced as a blonde British lady to becoming an Asian spy.

If we're just going to throw random facepalms at people, then please, allow me to give your rebuttal a few of these:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

In the section you quote, the "new powers" include:

1) a temporary ability to be undetectable to machines, which happened in #227 before she entered the Siege Perilous, and ended when she entered it, so that is moot

2) teleportation powers from The Crimson Dawn, which didn't even first appear until #330

3) and powers she gained by swapping abilities with Jean Grey, which has nothing to do with going through the Siege Perilous and again happened much later

So do all the issues where she gains these three other sets of powers also represent the debuts of entirely new characters?

The only supposed "new power" she gained with #256 was the psychic knife -- which wasn't a new power at all, but simply a focused manifestation of her telepathy/mental bolts, which she could already do.

The fact that she looked Asian and had a new costume, I mean, so what? Just because the graphic redesign was successful in making the character more popular does not make it her first appearance.

2c

From Marvel's website:

If we're just going to throw random facepalms at people, then please, allow me to give your rebuttal a few of these:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

In the section you quote, the "new powers" include:

1) a temporary ability to be undetectable to machines, which happened in #227 before she entered the Siege Perilous, and ended when she entered it, so that is moot

2) teleportation powers from The Crimson Dawn, which didn't even first appear until #330

3) and powers she gained by swapping abilities with Jean Grey, which has nothing to do with going through the Siege Perilous and again happened much later

So do all the issues where she gains these three other sets of powers also represent the debuts of entirely new characters?

The only supposed "new power" she gained with #256 was the psychic knife -- which wasn't a new power at all, but simply a focused manifestation of her telepathy/mental bolts, which she could already do.

The fact that she looked Asian and had a new costume, I mean, so what? Just because the graphic redesign was successful in making the character more popular does not make it her first appearance.

Yeah all the above is true. Clue me in on below.

Here is the part that I am blurry on. Didn't the Legacy virus kill some sort of clone she had. Her name was Revalanche or something like that. I stopped reading the X-men during the Legacy virus because I thought it was dumb at the time. I didn't pick the book up for a couple of years again after.