• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

Photocovers are a big part of GA romance. About one third of the output. For some publishers it was their only format - Fawcett, Famous Funnies, Standard. For others it was a sizable portion - Prize, Ace, Quality, Orbit, Ziff Davis.

At the end of the day, though, it came down to line drawn. And from 1955 until the end of romance in 1983, that's all there was.

Black background line drawn are far and few between. White was more common, but still not the go to color scheme. Both present big problems for us collectors!

LoveConfessions41fc100_zpsinzimqgk.jpg

LoveLetters49fc100_zpsjpehkjb3.jpg

Here's your second then, Jack. And a real great book to focus in on - the first story is a sweet Gustavson.

Quality produced 358 romance issues. Gustavson has less than 20 credits, and only a few splashes. One of those is from the Diary Loves 11.

When you start picking up the photocovers, buddy, it's a done deal. When the Big Shot Dealer at the con asks "and what do you collect", might as well say it loud and proud - "ROMANCE". lol

But only a little bit, we understand!

DiaryLoves11fc100_zpsvct2imno.jpg

DiaryLoves11intc180_zps5lcml9ke.jpg

When I did that at a con not long ago, a BSD said, "I think I might have a few on my web site," before turning away. :cry:

White and black combo is also interesting. But only if you're a Good Guy. If you're a No Good Guy, you could care less about women, and much much much less about romance comics.

LoveConfessions27fc100_zpsrzffufoe.jpg

Great stuff. When I was a kid they had late-night disc jockeys who played mellow tunes in the wee hours. Sinatra, light jazz, Johnny Mathis. I'm thinking KSFO in SF. (Maybe these guys are still out there -- I don't stay up late anymore! :preach: )

Dr. Love, you are the Don Sherwood of the Romance thread! :D

Thanks, bro! I thought you were going to compare me to Alison Steele, that was a close call.

Alison Steele, the "Nightbird", was a New York DJ on WNEW FM, starting in 1966. She had the late night slot and brought in the progressive rock era when the station changed formats. Steele began her show by reciting poetry over Andean flute music, before introducing her show in her well-known sultry, smoky voice. She'd play whole albums or seamlessly weave long segments, breaking only for station ID at the half hour. She sounded hot. Or comforting. Depending on your mood!

As a teen, in my parents' house in Queens, I had moved to the basement, which had its own entrance. I could sneak girls in; I could sneak myself out, to smoke doobies in the backyard late at night. Then I'd come back in and slip on the headphones, listen to Alison and drift away...

The first time I ever heard Riders on the Storm was on her show. If it was a rainy night she would open with it. She would always end her spot with Flying, by the Beatles. To this day whenever I hear that song I think of her and hear her voice.

She passed away in 1995 at the oh too young age of 58.

Thanks, bro! I thought you were going to compare me to Alison Steele, that was a close call.

Alison Steele, the "Nightbird", was a New York DJ on WNEW FM, starting in 1966. She had the late night slot and brought in the progressive rock era when the station changed formats. Steele began her show by reciting poetry over Andean flute music, before introducing her show in her well-known sultry, smoky voice. She'd play whole albums or seamlessly weave long segments, breaking only for station ID at the half hour. She sounded hot. Or comforting. Depending on your mood!

As a teen, in my parents' house in Queens, I had moved to the basement, which had its own entrance. I could sneak girls in; I could sneak myself out, to smoke doobies in the backyard late at night. Then I'd come back in and slip on the headphones, listen to Alison and drift away...

The first time I ever heard Riders on the Storm was on her show. If it was a rainy night she would open with it. She would always end her spot with Flying, by the Beatles. To this day whenever I hear that song I think of her and hear her voice.

The origins of Dr. Love!

Years ago I remember seeing a story on a disc jockey in CA's central valley who was so good that when he died, the station just kept rerunning his old shows each night and most people never realized he had passed away.

Kinda like the period in the late 1960s when it seemed as if half of Marvel's output was reprints of stuff published a few years before. :D

That's a great story, Doc! :)

You had your own entrance? :frustrated:

and if GA loses that lovin' feeling, don't forget there's a whole world of Silver romance out there as well.

FallinginLove103fc100_zpsqfd9rvbr.jpg

Partial to purple and also loved The Nightbird radio show Doc!

That's about as nice as I have ever seen one of those. Pretty popular and hard to find the romance issues.

I've had another collector tell me the same thing - I really like the texture and shading on these covers:

087be875-8931-448c-bf04-7971389ed67d_zpsu2sr6dup.jpg

That's about as nice as I have ever seen one of those. Pretty popular and hard to find the romance issues.

I've had another collector tell me the same thing - I really like the texture and shading on these covers:

087be875-8931-448c-bf04-7971389ed67d_zpsu2sr6dup.jpg

I aree. They're great and very tough to find in decent shape.