• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Paul" comics club

236 posts in this topic

Jeez Bill that is amazing! I officially crown you king of the "Paul" collection. What did you do, rob a bank? 36 books is more than I picked up at Wondercon in two days! I remember seeing a lot of those in Joe's boxes but already had most of them and I was on to "other" fish.

I saw the Moon Girls at A1's booth. Nice copies and very scarce. I am assuming most of the rest came from Jim Maley's booth. We're you there? Bob Storms had two of the few Caps in the collection that Ed originally got from Joe. I considered them but the were at "High Grade Comics" prices so I walked.

I'm kind of embarrassed to post the 3 measly "Pauls" I got from Jim...

Post 'em, you slacker!

No, I wasn't there, but had an "agent" there for me

I think those were the two Caps that Jamie Newbold had a while back, you know, the ones I stupidly passed on

Looks like a lot of them came from Jim Malley. By the time I got to him he was pretty cleaned out of the superhero stuff. I did see the Moon Girls but also had all of them already. If you feel like bending over hard, you could call Storms on the Caps. I just couldn't justify the prices "Pauls" or not...

After Bill's onslaught of 36 "Pauls" I'm almost embarrased to post my crappy little 3. It seems like I didn't find much because Bill's "people" had mostly cleaned out the room...

Jim Malley is mostly cleaned out (other than a few he put away for a while) so I doubt I'll find any more from my usual sources.

comadventure137paul_zpsnbhpnprl.jpg

Thanks for leaving me a bone Mr Deepockets...

(thumbs u

I'm Mr. Emptypockets after this latest buying spree

You gotta buy 'em when you have the chance. There were near complete runs of the Capt. Marvel titles as well as the Batman titles.

"Paul" copy!

comaction141paul_zpsb51e519f.jpg

why I oughta.... :makepoint:

Post your new "Paul" book (you know the one). :gossip:

Different Paul, but I liked the clever nature of your initial post using the subtle reference in the other thread

On 3/29/2015 at 5:01 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, this is the "Paul" story...

Paul Mittelbusher grew up in MO in the 1940's. He bought loads of comics as a child. As he got older he added in Pulps and Sci-Fi Books. He ammased a large collection which he moved to So Cal. He was active in the sci-fi fandom writing to pulps (as shown earlier) and possibly contributing or putting out fanzines. He was a horder and lived in a house brimming with comics, pulps, fanzines and tons of books. He passed away about 3 or 4 years ago.

His family wanting to settle his estate and wanting to clear out the house, contacted a gentleman named Joe and his wife to appraise the collection. Joe took a look and said it could take him as long as a year to do so. The heirs wanting to get rid of the stuff just sold it to Joe outright. (a little like the Church heirs). Joe cleaned ou the house and moved it into several storage units and a garage.

There was so much stuff that Joe didn't really know what he had until he started going through the boxes. What he found were several thousand comics dating back to around 1941 and going up to about 15 years ago. He also found pulps, fanzines, magazines, undergrounds and thousands of rare books.

Joe started selling the comics on eBay then somehow met up with Ed Robertson. Ed purchased most of the Batman, Detective, All Star books as well as numerous other GA DC's, a group of America's Best and about 5 beautiful Capt america's in the #60's. Best book he got was a decent Batman #1. He also got All Star #8,36, and a couple of nice war time Actions. Lots of consecutive issues of Batman and Detective and quite a few All Stars back to issue #5 I believe.

I met Joe at a local toy show where he had two magazine boxes of mixed GA books. They were graded and priced very fair so I bought about a third of them. I concentrated on the more obscure publishers although I did get some nice DC's that were found later in other boxes. I met up with Joe several other times when he would find new boxes of books and bought the best that I could afford at the time. Sadly, I left quite a bit simply because there was so much and I was concentrating on my own collection.

All the while, Joe was selling a lot of great books on eBay and to another local guy who is a friend of mine that promotes a big LA toy show and is a toy/advertising dealer. He spent a ton with Joe and bought almost all the funny animal, western and a good portion of DC's. Joe and his wife didn't want to sell to dealers wholesale so other than ebay we got first chance. My friend brought a large amount of "Pauls" to Terry's show last year and was swamped by Harley, Jamie Graham, Brian Peets and other dealers. It was a feeding frenzy!

The collection is not pedigree worthy because of four reasons. 1.) There were not enough consecutive runs of titles (except maybe Batman and Detective). 2.) The grades were from maybe 3.0-8.0 mostly. 3.) Other than just a few of us out there most people don't recognize the collection as anything special. 4.) Joe did not keep a list. I can say though after looking at so many of them it is one cool massive collection. Funny thing, I was only interested in the GA books so, other than a few boxes of pulps (which I got about a dozen or so), I didn't see any of the SA/BA books, fanzines, undergrounds, magazines (MAD, Famous Monsters ect) or the books.

As far as markings go. Most of the pre-1952 books are marked with Paul's first name on them. A few with his last name and a few have coupons filled out from his MO days. The earlier ones are marked in pencil possible by his mom. The later ones are usually in ink in his own hand. There were also many real cool books that were not marked at all.

This collection has been dispersed to the four winds as a lot was sold on ebay. Some have even had 2 or 3 owners since Joe sold them. I seem to find stray ones here and there out here because Joe sold them at all manner of LA area shows for about 2 years.

It was a nail biting ride for bout a year. Hard to keep my mouth shut but I didn't want to off the seller and of course I wanted to get as many of them as I could.

So Paul, whever you are, thanks for saving so many great books for those of us who love them!

Robot Man,

Thanks for the information and this thread. I recently acquired a book that appears to be a "Paul" (fellow boardies pointed this out and directed me toward this thread).

It's fascinating to know the story behind the original owner - especially since Paul also grew up in Missouri, and I've driven through Sweet Springs more times that I can count.

Here's to Paul! :tink:

318148-F002.jpg

Sure looks like one Lady. There wasn't any other writing on them that I can remember. On this copy it looks like something written at the top that I can't read. The early ones were in pencil probably written by his mom. The later ones were smaller and in ink and not cursive writing. Looked like "Paul". This was probably done in his own hand. 

I never say this or any of the humor books because my friend Jim probably bought them from Joe. To be honest, I was more into the Ace, MLJ, Centaur, Catman, Speed, Nedor Ect. Unreal collection. I bought as many as I could but had to leave a lot. 

Too bad most of the photos are gone due to the new boards. Maybe I can post some back again when I get the chance. I know I have at least a few GGA.