• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

What did you end up getting for it?

If I am not mistaken, Costas got $2700 for it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-678-Venom-variant-CGC-9-6-/161674063230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a4866d7e&nma=true&si=GPeiRTziuxEEkKRUdcLaYH3luwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Guess I shoulda charged him more than $20 for pressing the book before he subbed it last month :idea:

Good job on the sale, Costas :)

He didn't get quite full ask for it but it looks like GPA will pick up the sale. (thumbs u

-J.

$2500

Damn. Kudos to costas. And congrats to buyer. (worship)

Th guy who short sold his 9.6 copy a few weeks ago for half that is probably kicking himself right now. doh!

I noticed 3 new copies have hit the census since the book went nuclear. Two 9.6's and a 9.4.

-J.

$2500

:applause:

Are you guys kidding me? A 9.8 is going for 2500! :o I bought mine from my LCS for 20 dollars when it first came out,oh and it's a beauty. :cloud9:

If I am not mistaken, Costas got $2700 for it....

:o

Guess I shoulda charged him more than $20 for pressing the book before he subbed it last month :idea:

$20 to press one modern book? :o :o

Eh, what?

$20 is a damn good price, grumble, grumble.. tightwad...grumble grumble.

Kidding aside, you are grossly overlooking the fair market value and the turn around time. :makepoint:

I received the ASM 648 variant from Costas in person at the South Jersey Comic Con on 3/1/15, we agreed to meet there as I was a vendor at the show anyway and IIRC, he said he'd be going to that show.

Pretty nice guy, by the way.And his girlfriend is cute, so my hat's off to him, again.

Anyway the ASM was a 9.0 to 9.2, when he gave it to me.It would probably have fetched a 9.2.

One week later.....he picked it up from me at my tables the Big Apple Con 3/7/15 and he subbed it to CGC , that day at the show.

CCS would have charged him 2.5% of the fair market value of the book for "walkthrough pressing" (estimated turnaround time 2-3 weeks)....so with a fair market value asessment of $2000, call that 2.5% fee $50.

Add $100 for fast tracked walk through( estimated turnaround of 1 week) and the CCS bill for pressing "just one modern book" would have been $150.....which, mind you, is still well worth the investment, I can't state that emphatically enough.

I also got a Hulk 181 and a Shazam 1 from Costas on 3/1/15....pressed and dry cleaned both of those books at $20 a shot.I did not dry clean the ASM as the book had no marring on it, at all.The Shazam 1 involved a light bit of dry cleaning....it was a nice book to begin with, it just had some waviness due to improper storage.The Hulk 181 was a pain in the balls, OTOH....took a lot of work to optimize its grading potential.

Alright then....those 2 books....at a 1 week turn around time....with that....would have been another $300, added onto the tab, thru CCS.

He got a 9.2 on the Shazam 1....it was a VF 8.0....haven't heard from him on the Hulk 181 grade yet but I suspect it'll come back around a 5.0.It was around a 3.5 to begin with.

Look up the GPA on Hulk 181 in 5.0 and Shazam 1 in 9.2.....at $20 a piece for pressing, he will get a very nice return , once he gets them back from CGC and sells them (thumbs u

He PM'd me thru the board a while back, said he read some of my posts on pressingand he asked for some advice....I told him how I went out about pressing, offered suggestions and later on I offered my pressing services at $20 per book.He said "yeah, alright man...$20 a book works for me", basically.

We agreed to meet at a show I was a vendor at, and I looked the 4 books he brought with him....I passed on his Captain America # 100 b/c the color breaking creases would prevent a grade bump....so I took the 3 books which would benefit from pressing and/or dry cleaning and I gave him a signed contract.We shook hands.

I returned the 3 books to him, prepped for grading, all of 7 days later at the Big Apple Con.We shook hands and the deal was done.

And God Bless him, he made out good with the one book so far, and he'll make out nicely with the other 2, as well.He posted positive feedback for me in my kudos thread, that is all I can ask for and I appreciate his solid feedback.

I charge a flat $20 fee for pressing, dry cleaning as called for,with no other costs, AT ALL.No matter how much money stands to be made off a book.....so all things considered, I dunno where you're getting all :o over charging $20 for "pressing one modern book".

I do this because I do NOT press books for a living and as such, I can handle pressing a few comics for a boardie on occasion without having to take him to the cleaner's :jokealert: (pun may or may not be intended)

In any event, as every boardie here already knows quite well..... CCS's fees are very reasonable , as are the other company's subbed out pressing service's fees (CFP) are very reasonable, considering the return one realizes when the books are sold.This is self evident.

.....the only tangible upside for me is not the fee of $20 per book, clearly.Twenty bucks isn't a lotta money, we're talking about the equivalent of a 12 pack of Guinness.....and like half a pack of ciggarettes.....sheeit, I'll smoke those 5 ciggies before and after I press a $500+ book on account of the stress and work involved, all for what..... a lone Andrew Jackson?

You try putting vinyl gloves onto over sized monkey hands, then dry cleaning a book with beads of sweat pouring down yer face, having the worry of a myriad of undesirable (unlikely but still possible) scenarios of effing up and damaging someone else's book, running through your head...it's not fun, I can assure you of that, my friend.

Nope, no upside involved with an Andrew Jackson received for dry cleaning & pressing a book.

The upside for me is that I get positive feedback on my pressing....sooooo, if I decide, down the line, that I WANT to take on more pressing work, I will have a springboard in place, to do so.And yeah, I don't mind hooking a fellow boardie up, every once in a while.

I do suggest that if one is considering having pressing/dry cleaning done before subbing books for grading,that they contact the big boys (CFP or CCS) , and not myself.

Occasional side work is fine by me but I have waaaaay too many of my own comics, which I need to dry clean and press, to consistently offer to be under compensated for my time :P

CFP and CCS are also the best in the business and I gladly continue to pay for their dry cleaning/pressing services, when I submit books to CGC (or the other company) because I know they earn every dollar that they get from me.

********** END OF rantrant ***********

$2500

:applause:

Are you guys kidding me? A 9.8 is going for 2500! :o I bought mine from my LCS for 20 dollars when it first came out,oh and it's a beauty. :cloud9:

:gossip: It was a 9.6.

-J.

:o 2500 for a 9.6 modern?

I think the Wolverine #1 Deadpool variant goes for more, but I may be mistaken.

Still, such a crazy demand/price on these.

The last Wolverine 1 Deadpool 9.6 went for $1900. But that was a few months ago. There are also still about 40 more copies of it in 9.6/9.8 holders than the ASM 678. Let's see how many (or how few) copies these prices flush out in the months ahead and how many publicly change hands. As of now there are still very few GPA reported sales.

-J.

The last Wolverine 1 Deadpool 9.6 went for $1900. But that was a few months ago. There are also still about 40 more copies of it in 9.6/9.8 holders than the ASM 678. Let's see how many (or how few) copies these prices flush out in the months ahead and how many publicly change hands. As of now there are still very few GPA reported sales.

-J.

didn't that 9.8 SS Wolvie Deadpool sell recently

Why did you relist the book Costas? Did the buyer back out?

Jerome

He ended the previous auction early and then relisted it as an OBO and immediately took the buyer's offer of $2500. Now showing up on GPA. (thumbs u

-J.

Ah ha! Thanks for clarifying that, buddy.

Jerome

-J.

Gotcha, thanks!

Colin you got everything right except for the girlfriend part. That was my wife of 10 years now lol. As Jay stated I was offered 2500 so I had to relist it. I still can't believe how much demand this book has. I had 79 watchers right before I relisted it.

Costas

I know I have at least one of these in my modern ASM longboxes but I can't get to them till this summer when we head out west.

The suspense is killing me because Im fairly certain i have several copies and will signature slab-->sell them in a heartbeat to fuel a down payment on a tec #31 or Hulk #1.

I'll let interested parties know this July