• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

Been a good Month for me book-wise!!!! :cloud9:

Greek Xmen 133

Greekxmen.jpg

Some amazing Wolvie Indonesian books!

Wolverine1_indo.jpg

Wolverine3_indo.jpg

Wolverine8_indo.jpg

A Canadian Marvel Movie Showcase! My Star Wars set is growing like a weed...

MarvelMovieShowcase_Canada.jpg

Some killer high grade McFarlane Copper Spideys Claudio sent with my Spidey 201.

luomoragno93.jpg

luomoragno94.jpg

luomoragno95.jpg

luomoragno97.jpg

luomoagno98.jpg

Another addition to my Star Wars set.

Check_starWars1.jpg

Mexican Spawn! :shock:

SPawn1Mexicanvs2.jpg

TitanesPlanetars.jpg

Thai Wolverine 1

Wolverine1_Thai.jpg

Spanish Infinity Gauntlet...

InfinityGauntlet1_Spanish.jpg

Greek 129

GreekSpidey129.jpg

And ahhhhh my baby! One of the most beautiful of the non canon Mexican Prensa Spidey's Satanica! :shock:

Arana137_noncanon.jpg

German 1st Him!

1stHIM_German.jpg

La Prensa Iron man #1

IronMan1_Mexico.jpg

Newton Aussie Iron Man #1 with poster intact!

IronMan1_Aussie.jpg

10419545_1577165855885436_2476977329600251730_n.jpg

I think the non-canon Spider-mans are especially interesting. It's the same characters but newly made stories using cut-up images from other issues and some new drawings, usually adding inches to the breast and measurements of MJ and Gwen. They diverged from the Marvel canon in many ways (even married Peter and Gwen at one point). Suspect if they were in English they'd be collected more heavily. But even in a different language a guy can appreciate classic spidey poses combined with exaggerated latina femme fatales.

And ahhhhh my baby! One of the most beautiful of the non canon Mexican Prensa Spidey's Satanica! :shock:

Arana137_noncanon.jpg

I think the non-canon Spider-mans are especially interesting. It's the same characters but newly made stories using cut-up images from other issues and some new drawings, usually adding inches to the breast and measurements of MJ and Gwen. They diverged from the Marvel canon in many ways (even married Peter and Gwen at one point). Suspect if they were in English they'd be collected more heavily. But even in a different language a guy can appreciate classic spidey poses combined with exaggerated latina femme fatales.

Yup, very interesting! Jose Luis Duran is very well known and loved in Mexico for his work on these..... here is a rough translation about him......

MAESTRO JOSÉ LUIS DURAN-EL SORPRENDENTE HOMBRE ARAÑA

1293_385597881542174_1431652495_n.jpg

Legend of LA Mexicana Cartoon began his career in 1953, he collaborated on the magazine Piel Canela. In 1957, working in the advertising department of El Sol de Mexico, he made his first cover for Santo the Silver Masked and to Adelita, José G. Cruz publications. In the early 70s, he became the first Mexican to officially draw Spiderman in the comics created specifically for release in Mexico under the seal of Editorial Prensa. He participated in The Phantom Pilot and worked on the design of the Pantera, along with Daniel Muñoz and Juan Alba, as well as in the weekly issues of this cartoon. He worked for 15 years to EDAR, today Grupo Editorial Vid, making calls minis (Horror, Mystery and Legends). Co-creator of The Girl Kung Fu collaborated Sensational Sensational Terror Struggles for EDITORIAL EJEA among other series. He also served as art director of MACC Division Comics, who published over twenty titles for Marvel Comics in our country. Collaborate in the Heraldo de Toluca doing political cartoons. A GREAT VALUE.

We have a dedicated thread at our boards about these books.... feel free to join the convo!

http://foreigncomicdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=261

Personally, I think these books are still not very well known amongst collectors here in the states. I think as more awareness about these books gets out there we might see more and more hardcore spiderman collectors seeking these out. 2c

Edited by Define999

I thought most of these were just different for the covers – how did it happen they produced local stories, if they were already publishing the originals, and how did they concile the "fantastic" event in these stories (i.e. Peter marrying Gwen) with the original stories they were publishing.

In Italy we have had Spider-Man stories, but they were either for children (a-la Spidey Super Stories, so to speak) or were out of continuity (the 2000s stories published on Il Giornalino under Marvel license, and realized by italian authors).

Some 2007 information here:

http://www.ubcfumetti.com/preview/?14366

Some art by Olivares:

14389_UBC_Olivares_SM3_page05_Color.jpg

Hey Define999

Really nice write up on the first page it really helped a lot

i was helping my parents pack there stuff because they are moving and i found my dads collection. So i was looking through his collection and i found three superman books and one was printed in Afrikaans (that was one of the main langauge spoken in South Africa) witch was weird and then i noticed all three were printed in South Africa and i know all the big name comic books came from the US.

So i did some research and i found out that back in the day a lot of comic books were banned in South Africa but some were allowed and reprinted by Mimosa comics in the late 1950s and 1960s. South Africa was very conservative back in the day and we also had sanctions so i think thats why it was hard to get this type of stuff in the country.

I tried to found out if there was a US version but no luck

So what are these books worth and should i send them to CGC ?

Sorry i don't know how to post pics on here so i just put the links

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jytavnvdlvm8b2x/image1.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3td2knyj9ooepf/image2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmnhrmez82eh000/image3.JPG?dl=0

Hey Define999

Really nice write up on the first page it really helped a lot

i was helping my parents pack there stuff because they are moving and i found my dads collection. So i was looking through his collection and i found three superman books and one was printed in Afrikaans (that was one of the main langauge spoken in South Africa) witch was weird and then i noticed all three were printed in South Africa and i know all the big name comic books came from the US.

So i did some research and i found out that back in the day a lot of comic books were banned in South Africa but some were allowed and reprinted by Mimosa comics in the late 1950s and 1960s. South Africa was very conservative back in the day and we also had sanctions so i think thats why it was hard to get this type of stuff in the country.

I tried to found out if there was a US version but no luck

So what are these books worth and should i send them to CGC ?

Sorry i don't know how to post pics on here so i just put the links

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jytavnvdlvm8b2x/image1.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3td2knyj9ooepf/image2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmnhrmez82eh000/image3.JPG?dl=0

Ok, South African books are extremely tough to find even in South Africa itself. :gossip: So this is an extremely cool find. As far as value that is a tricky question? If the South African book is a key of some sort than you could probably sell here in America much more easily. But, if it is not a key your better off attempting to find a buyer in SA itself. There is a pretty hardcore group of South African collectors that scoop this stuff up whenever they find it key or not. And certain books are rarer than others so its possible even though a book isn't a "key" per say it could still be very valuable on the South African market. Bidorbuy.com is one option, or the best option I think is to go directly to the expert on SA comics! George at supercomix!

http://southafricancomicbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/supercomix.html

Are there any other SA books in your fathers collection? Probably right now the most sought after SA books for the American market are the bronze age supercomix books that printed DC and Marvel material. Now if you find that stuff def get back to us..... I can find buyers for that stuff all day long! (thumbs u Or feel free to PM me for more info..... :headbang:

Edited by Define999

I thought most of these were just different for the covers – how did it happen they produced local stories, if they were already publishing the originals, and how did they concile the "fantastic" event in these stories (i.e. Peter marrying Gwen) with the original stories they were publishing.

In Italy we have had Spider-Man stories, but they were either for children (a-la Spidey Super Stories, so to speak) or were out of continuity (the 2000s stories published on Il Giornalino under Marvel license, and realized by italian authors).

Some 2007 information here:

http://www.ubcfumetti.com/preview/?14366

Some art by Olivares:

14389_UBC_Olivares_SM3_page05_Color.jpg

The word on the street is.... im not 100% sure because I cant read Spanish! lol Is, that it was all a dream. This is how they fit it into the continuity. Peter married Gwen and it was all a dream......

there are 2 camps of thought. Apparently La Prensa sent representatives including the writers and artists to New York to discuss with Marvel the Mexican story lines and basically what they were wanting to do. Now once they get to New York the story splits into 2 parts..... one line of thinking is Marvel gave permission to the La Prensa representatives to create the non-canon stuff.... the other line of thinking is that the permission was never granted and that the non-canon stuff wasn't authorized but the publisher went ahead with it anyway. (shrug)

Who knows.... but this is a future story for foreign comic collector magazine for sure! (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

Interesting… What I was just wondering was whether the stories were alternated with the original ones, or if there was just a period of locally produced stories.

Given La Prensa was pretty faithful in presenting the original material in spanish (original covers et al.) I found curious to know about this production. hm

It is also worth mentioning that at the same time La Prensa Spiderman stories seem to veer off canon, is the same exact time MACC Division began publishing Spiderman.

Is it possible La Prensa lost the rights to either the new material or Spiderman altogether and just went ahead and published anyway?

It also seems to me that the non canon books seem a bit tougher to find. I don't know if this is true or just my experience. Possibly the non canon books are not being sold due to a perceived lack of interest.

I'm working on a set at the moment but still have a long way to go. I would love to see these collected and translated. One of my long term goals is to make a complete digital collection of this series to share with our community.

Hey gang,

first time posting in the foreign variant section as this is not at all my forte in fact I come to you humbly looking for some info on a book. I friend of mine at work is interested in parting ways with this hand me down book and wants me to sell it and I have Noooooo idea what to even ask for it. I checked ebay and stuff to no avail. It's lower end (2-3.0) but a solid book. If one of you experts could Shoot me a PM and let me know what you guys that would be appreciated...wasn't even sure where to post this I figured here is my best bet..thanks, Gino

17152230662_271a2c2955_b.jpg