• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

Getting a larger mailbox is not an option in my neighborhood, due to a local ordinance.

Seriously, some people on the forum must have hateful postal employees in their area, or they've done something to tick off their carrier. I have NEVER received a bent package, as long as it says DO NOT BEND on it.

And, since I always write PLEASE (key word) DO NOT BEND on every package I send out, I have never received a report that any outgoing package has ever been bent before arriving at its destination.

I'm firmly in the "PLEASE DO NOT BEND" camp, because I've had 100 percent success with it.

I pack my items as if they are heading to a war zone. You just never know who or what types of people they might encounter. The last person-- mail carrier - is the least of my worries. I talked to a postal worker once about how things get handled when they are sorting the items. In their particular set up-- they were tossing packages into area as there was not other option. That was a bit shocking to me. But based on it, I pretend the mail person is that ape from the old Samsonite commercials. Sure-- a bit of over kill on my part most of the time. But all it takes is one bad experience to turn a buyer off to you forever -- and ultimately, it is the sellers job to get that item there safely as possible.

It's always good to add an extra layer of moisture barrier too, regardless of the season. Right now, with the snow and rain, packages are getting left out in the elements. I always add an extra sealed plastic bag over the contents before packing.

Just received a book from the Bay packaged in a paper envelope with a couple pieces of poster board. Fortunately, the comic didn't get rolled or folded by the mailman. More surprisingly, it didn't get damaged in transit. Not a high grade book nor a key (though he has a couple keys for sale), but nonetheless. Seller has gotten one neg already for lack of packing skills. I didn't neg him, just noted in my feedback that he could improve packing skills. Also messaged him with a link to the "how to package thread".

Just received a book from the Bay packaged in a paper envelope with a couple pieces of poster board. Fortunately, the comic didn't get rolled or folded by the mailman. More surprisingly, it didn't get damaged in transit. Not a high grade book nor a key (though he has a couple keys for sale), but nonetheless. Seller has gotten one neg already for lack of packing skills. I didn't neg him, just noted in my feedback that he could improve packing skills. Also messaged him with a link to the "how to package thread".

you must have been a very good boy this year that lady luck is taking good care of you. heh.

Have my fair share of luck lately with a cgc slab mailed in only an envelope crossing the ocean from US to SEA unharmed without even a scratch too. Wish every mail is like that....

I personally do not like having Fragile or Do Not Bend on the boxes because of the stated reasons you guys have posted. Case in point, I just received a package from Stan Lee Collectables with fragile on the box and there was a big 3" hole punched into it. Good thing it was packaged well so nothing was damaged.

During the last days of the 2014 Christmas rush, I found a comic package bent and stuffed in my mail box. It did not have "Please do not bend" written on it. That's the only time that happened all year.

Other than that, the only comics damaged while in shipment to me during 2014 were due to being packed with backing boards that weren't the proper size. At least 3 different Golden Age books received extra corner dings because they were packed with Silver or Current Age backing boards which didn't extend beyond the edges of the books.

So, after seeing how an online retailer shipped a book to me once, I decided to copy the packaging.

QFt1mBf.png

I work at a warehouse where I can get large sheets of corrugated cardboard that allows me to be able to makes these comic book shippers. Pretty self explanatory on this one. Secure, safe, and no movement during shipping! Oh, I should note this isn't all that gets shipped! I put this into a box that is slightly larger, filled with bobble wrap and/or packing peanuts.

I was going to take some pics to show off, but the seller was nice enough to fully refund my money. So I ended up returning it late last night & I messaged the seller what to use when he sells another comic online. He replied back to me asking where do I find cardboard lol Then I just stopped talking to this guy, I just don't have the time & the energy to go through a class course about packaging comics. I think e-bay should make videos on how to teach new sellers about packaging all collectables 2c

I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

Bravo...finally, someone who understands that the books WILL BE UN-packed!!

Thank you.

Hey there, I just made a guide to packing CGC comic books for mailing. I'll attach it to this message. Please look it over and tell me if you think this looks like a good way to package? I wasn't actually mailing anything, just taking pictures so I could make this guide. I thought it might be useful to people. (Thanks to Forbush-man and others here for the suggestion about which USPS boxes to order.)

154814.jpg.efad5725933e2e616f402df0f4892a97.jpg