• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Ellis- Stormwatch/The Authority

175 posts in this topic

First off, I love these books and judging by how many people pile on when we discuss them here (as in the recent Planetary thread) I think a lot of other people do too. So... hey, here's a place where people can wax poetic about one of the best series in the past 25 years.

Secondly... I just had to share this cool convergence of collecting milestones today relating to the two titles.

First off... I'm now the proud owner of the #1 The Authority registry set. I had a big sub come through the other day and while I had a couple of books that came in lower than my actual threshold for the run (I got two 9.2s and my threshold is 9.4) I got bunch of 9.8s to add to my run, pushing me over the top.

I'll never beat Ghost Town for Daredevil 1-157, but at least I've got one registry set that I'm the top dog on :sumo:

Now I just need to buy and cherry pick a few more raw runs of the title to actually complete the volume 1 run.

Secondly... I just got 4 pages in from Stormwatch #37. These are none of the big pages (no Jenny Sparks. etc.) but they're still cool and from one of the coolest books in my own personal collecting universe.

154341.jpg.29dd8477d2001a94e96da046597b363e.jpg

All of my StormWatch/Authority sit raw, but this is easily tied (for different reasons) with Planetary as one of my top titles of the past 30 years. It's just perfect. It's the Avengers turning into the Justice League while pioneering widescreen violence & actually working to change the world & not just keep the status quo. It's just... excellent.

This & Planetary & Joe Casey's Wildcats runs were seriously just everything you could want in modern comics. It was like a 2nd Silver Age at Wildstorm in that era.

*Edit* - *spoon*ing auto-correct

Edited by Doktor

(worship)

You guys are killing it with those collections. I've never ( to this point ) read a run that I've enjoyed more than these 2 series. I literally take my TPBs with me every vacation no matter what else I read, these are still top of the stack. Congrats on putting all of those books together. :applause:

I started an earlier thread on this, as I just "discovered" Ellis on these two runs.

I read Planetary, and was blown away.

Then finished Stormwatch, and while great comics, it wasn't on the same level as Planetary.

I am now on the 2nd volume of The Authority, and it too, has been one heck of a ride.

Just great comics all around...

My only beef with Authority is that Ellis felt like he had to keep making the opponents tougher and tougher? After the war with "god" where else is there to go? lol

lol

Millar toned it down a little bit after that but you're right, I just never thought about it before now. I'm pulling these out this weekend. So, so good.

Why do you think he left the series after that? He wanted to just go as hard as he could & then walk away.

I have never read what Ellis' take was, but that has been my impression. I really liked Millar's arc too, but it did feel like a letdown.

Why do you think he left the series after that? He wanted to just go as hard as he could & then walk away.

I loved this series, Planetary, JLA by Morrison and Waid. Ennis was on fire too. I agree with whoever called this a 2nd Silver Age because it was an amazing run for lots of star writers imo.

I have never read what Ellis' take was, but that has been my impression. I really liked Millar's arc too, but it did feel like a letdown.

I remember him saying that, with the exception of Authority: Widescreen (which never was released or finished because of 9/11), he had said all he needed to about the natural evolution of superheroes with StormWatch/Authority, or something to that effect.

I remember him saying that, with the exception of Authority: Widescreen (which never was released or finished because of 9/11), he had said all he needed to about the natural evolution of superheroes with StormWatch/Authority, or something to that effect.

I don't disagree but I was so disappointed when it was over. I never read much of either series after Millar's run. Any of the later series that you guys would suggest picking up ?

I don't disagree but I was so disappointed when it was over. I never read much of either series after Millar's run. Any of the later series that you guys would suggest picking up ?

Brubaker's Authority: Revolution (which was essentially Vol 3) was quite good but not quite on the level of Millar or definitely Ellis. But it was MUCH better than Vol 2 (which was, IMO, atrocious)

I was massively disappointed as well when it was over. It felt like Ellis/Hitch, even with their slow output schedules, could have built something not seen since Lee/Kirby FF or Claremont X-Men (1st go around) creativity-wise.

Edited by Doktor

It was a while ago, but IIRC, he felt like he was basically done with superheroes at that point. He'd told his story and had nothing left to say about them. Of course, he later had PLENTY to say about them, but that was mostly on Marvel's dime.