• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

Now, sometime back AJD showed a copy of WDC&S #53 and I made a few observations regarding the cover, mainly stating that not alot of it made sense- why was Donald riding Pluto, Mickey's dog? How on earth can a bridge be built that small?

You get the drift.

Anyway, to shut me up (and without telling me) this was included as a freebie:

WDC&S #53

WDCampS%2053%20760%20x%201072_zps3mxlw422.jpg

Anyway, here's to a true collector, AJD, a helluva guy that I've never met. :applause:

Anyway, to shut me up (and without telling me) this was included as a freebie:

Well, clearly that didn't work. :taptaptap:

Anyway, it's always nice to increase the number of Dell ducks in Australia.

Incidentally, the first Dell I ever saw in the flesh was an Uncle Scrooge #12 I bought at Lee's Comics in California in the 1980s. It was probably a 1.5 or so, but I felt like I'd made an incredible find.

Here is a purchase I think I will enjoy and it was nothing more than timing. I had an ebay bucks certificate for $500 to spend this Wednesday and I had been recently looking all over ebay for some book to buy with my free money. Well I went a little deeper and now I have a well loved copy of WDC&S #1 with nice eye appeal (to me anyway). Funny its a book I never owned and always wanted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-BISHOP-ESTATE-WALT-DISNEY-039-S-COMICS-AND-STORIES-1-Dell-1940-NO-RES-/301572385125?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4jrCV1zcHxbrKAAjE7PTp2Zxzzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by Junkdrawer

Here is a purchase I think I will enjoy and it was nothing more than timing. I had an ebay bucks certificate for $500 to spend this Wednesday and I had been recently looking all over ebay for some book to buy with my free money. Well I went a little deeper and now I have a well loved copy of WDC&S #1 with nice eye appeal (to me anyway). Funny its a book I never owned and always wanted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-BISHOP-ESTATE-WALT-DISNEY-039-S-COMICS-AND-STORIES-1-Dell-1940-NO-RES-/301572385125?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4jrCV1zcHxbrKAAjE7PTp2Zxzzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Awesome. :applause:

I am somewhere in that bidder list. My plan was to get some leafcasting done on the cover, but it got a bit rich for that to be viable. Glad another boardie snagged it.

The quest continues. This #15 is my 69th of the first 100. I have another on the way in the post, but progress is slow these days.

Still, lots to like about this copy, and the colours are lovely.

wdcamps_015_zps6byd1xj6.jpg

Congrats! Such a fun run to collect. I've accumulated 40 of the first 50 in a pedestrian way, but it has been enjoyable

You never brought your Duck collection to the picnic. How come? My collection starts with WDCS 10 but the early group is a little ragged.

We should have had a funny animal day with no barbarians or superheroes allowed. :banana:

5593818300_43c92e2cb9_b.jpg

Awesome. :applause:

I am somewhere in that bidder list. My plan was to get some leafcasting done on the cover, but it got a bit rich for that to be viable. Glad another boardie snagged it.

I think I will enjoy it in its present state.For now.

Nice pick up. Such a great book.

Nice pick up. Such a great book.

It is indeed a great book. And that copy, believe it or not, is better than my copy :blush:

I guess this qualifies as a "Duck" book....... always liked this cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FOUR%20COLOR%201780002_1.jpg

Given that it's the first Scrooge, it's a Duck Book Primo Deluxe!

I like the cover, too, although I think it may be the only FC where Barks did the story but not the cover. Or am I forgetting one (or more)? hm

(There are number, of course, where he did the cover but not the story.)

(actually there are many when he did the story but not the cover....). most of the early ones.

Someone else will have better info more readily than me, but I'd say #189 is the first barks cover. This would be the last of the non barks covers.

I used to think the early ones were barks too just because I'd never heard any different, and I used to wonder why they looked different than his normal style. There was the best of reasons, he didn't do them! lol They are mostly Buettner. as far as I can remember and tell from a 15 second google image search, only 189up are barks covers.

Here's a comparison for you.

Post 189 - clean thin lines, art looks just like the interior panels, longer bill on donald has a sharp, almost 90 degree curve

Golden_Christmas_Tree_comic_book_cover.jpg

Donald_Duck199-001fc.jpg

Pre 189

duck bill on donald is shorter and more rounded; more like a natural duck's beak. Donald's face in particular looks nothing like Barks' interior work. Less expressiveness in the face. (still expressive but less so). The long curiously posed fingers on donald on the 108 cover look nothing like barks as well. Faces on both don't look like barks and again both duck bills are naturalistic instead of exaggerated.

Now look at the whites of the eyes. Post 189 they are white circles within black circles.

Pre 189 they are slivers cut out from the black.

Thicker linework. Seems like Buettner is used a slightly larger brush than Barks.

Donald_Duck108-01-fc.jpg

Donald_Duck147-01fc.jpg

I was on the fence about Bark's Ducks.....had never seen many....and then I saw Vacation Parade #1......and the veil parted. Now seems a good time to snag sharp mid grade copies.....prices aren't bad at all. Coming up in the 60's and 70's I was totally brainwashed about the importance of Bark's.... and that was a good thing. GOD BLESS...

I was on the fence about Bark's Ducks.....had never seen many....and then I saw Vacation Parade #1......and the veil parted. Now seems a good time to snag sharp mid grade copies.....prices aren't bad at all. Coming up in the 60's and 70's I was totally brainwashed about the importance of Bark's.... and that was a good thing. GOD BLESS...

(thumbs u

(actually there are many when he did the story but not the cover....). most of the early ones.

Someone else will have better info more readily than me, but I'd say #189 is the first barks cover. This would be the last of the non barks covers.

I used to think the early ones were barks too just because I'd never heard any different, and I used to wonder why they looked different than his normal style. There was the best of reasons, he didn't do them! lol They are mostly Buettner. as far as I can remember and tell from a 15 second google image search, only 189up are barks covers.

I think I actually knew that at one time and was definitely having a doh! moment.

With help from our friends at GCD, these are non-Barks covers

Interestingly, 178 was by Dan Gormley rather than Buettner. I'm not otherwise familiar with Gormley, although I like the 178 cover. In my view, Buettner was actually a good artist who ended up being overshadowed by Barks among duck fans.

As a kid, I was a big fan of the Barks WDC&S 10-pagers and could definitely tell when one was done by someone other than Barks, although I didn't know Barks's name at that point. I also liked the Barks reprints (Best of DD & US, some of the Christmas Parade issues, and some others) although I can't remember if I realized then that they were reprints.

One of my first GA books was FC 422, which is still one of my favorite Barks stories.