• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "Does Anybody Know Where This Art Is?" Thread
10 10

785 posts in this topic

I have been looking for two things for a little while now and wondered if anyone has seen them for sale recently (or know they exist at all).

1. Any cover from the V1 run #178-#203 of Wonder Woman. I have seen a few auctions of two of these being sold years ago but nothing in a long while since. Does anyone know if they even exist in teh collecting world?

2. I am beating a dead horse a bit on this one but the covers (or even a nice splash page) for Speedball #1-#10? There is one available on Cool Line Art bu that is the only one I have seen. Has anyone ever seen another one available?

anyone ever see any of the Batman "Death in the Family" pieces around? would love to have one for my collection.

Never seen them. I had heard indirectly that some hard core Aparo collector has them. There were some "unused" Mignola covers that were available from certain Brother dealers.

I do have a good alternate. Aparo did some Batman card art and he did the art on the Death in the Family. Aparo Death in the Family Card Art - Batman Finds Robin Dead!

Malvin

I've seen the unused cover to #426...it's pretty nifty.

Does Mignola still have the four published covers?

anyone ever see any of the Batman "Death in the Family" pieces around? would love to have one for my collection.

Never seen them. I had heard indirectly that some hard core Aparo collector has them. There were some "unused" Mignola covers that were available from certain Brother dealers.

I do have a good alternate. Aparo did some Batman card art and he did the art on the Death in the Family. Aparo Death in the Family Card Art - Batman Finds Robin Dead!

Malvin

The Donnellys had the "unused" cover, but iirc, there was some controversy around it. Maybe having to do with them adding the logos/trade dress after the fact (something they do quite often)?

I would bet that Mignola doesn't have any of those covers. He's never kept much of his own work.

Malvin

The Donnellys had the "unused" cover, but iirc, there was some controversy around it. Maybe having to do with them adding the logos/trade dress after the fact (something they do quite often)?

I would bet that Mignola doesn't have any of those covers. He's never kept much of his own work.

hm

I wonder where they are, and if they're together?

I know this has been asked before, but I don't remember...did anyone manage to get a hold of the alternate Batman #428 pages? Or does Denny still have them?

Did the cover to trencher 1-3 ever make it to market?

Kieth Giffen has been a chameleon of sorts of the years changing his style pretty dramatically more than a few times. My favorite incarnation of Giffen the artist came during the early 90's when he developed a bizarre style on (I think, the first place I saw it anyway) lobo infanticide and used again on Images of Shadowhawk and his creator owned series trencher. Giffen abandoned that drawing style after a few projects but I loved it.

I've seen a few Lobo infanticide pages and some Images of Shadow hawk but I don't think I've seen any trencher art. Does anyone know if Artwork from the trencher series ever made it to market? Covers and splash pages especially.

Ah! Trencher art good stuff. Last time I checked Giffen still has it and if (big if) it is still available it is on a make an offer basis as he doesn't want to sell it.

Edited by Shemp

Koa, I thought I was the only Trencher fan out there. A piece pops up now and then (there are 14 Market Data Results on CAF) and a very few pieces on CAF itself. Good luck!

No way! I can't believe more people didn't get into this series. I love trencher. it was so irreverent. The book had so much personality. I wish giff would bring the series back or do that art style again. It was sublime

Thanks for the info Shemp.

Edited by Koa

I am still trying to figure out the best way to purchased OA so I apologize if this question is a bit basic. Where is it best to look for newer artists such as David Finch. He seems to have some art on his website but it is very limited. Even his twitter feed points to an incorrect page to look at some of his newer art.

My question is how do you best go about finding newer art? Do the artists take well to being contacted directly?

I am still trying to figure out the best way to purchased OA so I apologize if this question is a bit basic. Where is it best to look for newer artists such as David Finch. He seems to have some art on his website but it is very limited. Even his twitter feed points to an incorrect page to look at some of his newer art.

My question is how do you best go about finding newer art? Do the artists take well to being contacted directly?

most artists do indeed sell pages to the general public. But expect to pay a premium if you are dealing with an artist directly. If you want the best pieces that is what you have to do, but if you want just under best it is my experience that waiting and buying the same piece later on resale is worth the wait. But you take a risk that way.

Many artists bring pages to sell at conventions as well.

most artists do indeed sell pages to the general public. But expect to pay a premium if you are dealing with an artist directly. If you want the best pieces that is what you have to do, but if you want just under best it is my experience that waiting and buying the same piece later on resale is worth the wait. But you take a risk that way.

Many artists bring pages to sell at conventions as well.

I agree that artists tend to overvalue their art, and sometimes insist their official reps price their art a certain way. But, as Bird says, you need to pay that price if you want first crack at something, and if it's a newer artist, that price may not be too terribly high.

In my experience, most artists have no problem being contacted about the possibility that they have art for sale (though my sample size is pretty low). As long as you're respectful, and you haven't used any devious ways to get in contact with them, then most will probably be flattered. Probably the worst that will happen is you don't get a response, or they'll point you to their rep.

Does anyone know where is the unpainted cover and/or story pages for Spectacular Spider-man #2 from 1968? Book's art was rumored to be lost in a fire but then HA found and sold the cover painting.

Edited by bluechip

I saw the Romita B&W cover for the first time around 8-10 years ago. I believe it's changed hands at least once or twice since then. But, it's out there!

Does anyone know where is the unpainted cover and/or story pages for Spectacular Spider-man #2 from 1968? Book's art was rumored to be lost in a fire but then HA found and sold the cover painting.

I saw the Romita B&W cover for the first time around 8-10 years ago. I believe it's changed hands at least once or twice since then. But, it's out there!

Thanks. Pics of the unpainted cover appear on the web. Wonder how much it would cost? It's a unique situation, since it is technically a prelim but the art itself is as complete as the typical example of published art.

Guess there's no word about the story pages...

I'll try another one as well;

I'm looking for the cover and/or interiors of FLASH v2 #54

by Greg Larocque & Jose Marzan Jr.

Flash_v.2_54.jpg

I'd seriously consider buying or trading other Flash centric pieces

from that era.

Please e-mail me at:

galschwart@gmail.com

Thanks,

Gal