• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Nifty.

I have all my concert shirts from a teenager..long out grown.. :blush:

I'll have to try some of mine on to see (almost afraid to post those pics)! hm

My favorite tee is the Sabbath World Tour shirt from '78, my favorite concert selection is much more complicated. Certainly Sabbath in '76 & '78 are faves, but the Who in '76 was beyond awesome. And I caught a great Okla. City outdoor show (Fairgrounds Speedway) in '73 with Eric Burdon Band openning, followed by Lyrnyrd Skynyrd and headlined by ZZ Top in their absolute prime. Very few tees to show for it, some programs, photos, etc., but lots of great memories!

Good times huh Cat? Lots of great music then. Not that there is no good music now, you just got to go out of your way to find it. I've been diging Cage the Elephant, The Record Company, Nick Waterhouse and Caroline Wonderland lately.

Back when I was a junior in High School, I worked for Thomas Edison Light Shows. Mostly Friday and Saturday nights at the Shrine Auditorium and the Rose Palace in Pasadena. Got paid to see some incredible shows. Two that still stand out was two conescutive nights of Frank Zappa in his prime. Also a classic was Alice Cooper. I remember him burning money on stage and throwing a live chicken into the audience (it wasn't harmed). But the Fire Marshall ended up shutting down the show.

Back in the 1940's and early 1950's if you were a radio or TV fan and had a spare 10 cents or quarter and a box top you could send away for a whole myrid of cool "devices" from your favorite personalities. I know I did. The wait seemed like forever until one day the mail man showed up. The stuff I sent away for was kinda cheap and usually disapointing. But the kids from the '40's and '50's got some pretty cool and quality stuff. Today, I'll show you some. I especially like to find this stuff in the mailers with paper work so I can actually use them. This stuff all works.

World War II era Jack Armstrong Secret Bomb site. Contains 3 wooden bombs. You look throught the cross hair sight, turn the wheel and drop your payload on a map below. I have the map too but it's put away pretty deep.

premiumjackarmstrongbombsite_zpsmjnmkvlv.jpg

Sky King had some real cool stuff in the mid 1950's. Sponsored by Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Sky King "Secret" Signal Scope. This is similar to the Capt. Midnight piece above. In addition it also had a magnifying glass to start fires and a whistle.

premiumskykingsignalscope_zpsnf3csmq4.jpg

One of my favorites. Sky King Spy-Detecto Riter for early 1950's. This heavy, well made device had a ton of features including a decoder, rubber stamping device, compass, ruler and more. It even had a serial number. It pictured him, his horse, his plane ect. Came in brass and aluminium versions. I really like holding this in my hand. Came from a big collection of boxed premiums I got a San Diego con one year. All from the same kid in WA. I got about 25 or so pieces as the guy was pulling them out. Was great untill the "hoards" hit him and grabbed the rest... Billy Farrow sent away for EVERYTHING and kept them all together in their boxes.

premiumskykingdetectoriter_zpsyrbat88l.jpg

A story from long ago... (a bit long but fun)

Many years ago when I was in High School, there was no internet, no comic stores, very few comic cons. The ways of getting old comics were used book stores, garage sales, flea markets and word of mouth. Another way was to post wanted to buy ads on a bulletin board like a grocery store in my case.

I had a note posted on the local grocery store when one day I got a call. The guy told me he had tons of old comics, magazines, newspapers books ect and was I interested? Of course I was! We set up a time to meet at his house. I drove over to a pretty beat up house in a bit of a schetchy part of town and rang the doorbell. A guy in his probably early 50's answers. We do the intro and he says the stuff is in the garage. We go around back to a dilapitated old garage and go in...

This garage was PACKED with paper. All the stuff he mentioned. He said he'd been saving the stuff since he was a kid. There were stacks all over. He motioned me over to the massive piles of comics and asked me what I was interested in. I said I was looking for EC's and might he have any? He pulls out a few boxes and lets me pull them out. Inside first one was Weird Science and Weird Fantasy and the rest of the sci-fi titles. They started at #12. I asked if he had any earlier ones like #1-11. He said no that was it. Neither of us knew there was no such thing. Next question was how much each? He said he wanted I believe $200. for each run and wouldn't break them up except by title. I gulped and looked through the other boxes and found the rest and got the same answer. I didn't have that much and already had many of them but he wouldn't break them up. Then I notced the Annuals.

He said I could have them if I bought the runs. I finally convinced him that they had a different title and they didn't belong with the runs and could I just buy them seperate? I think he liked me and finally asked me how much money I had. I said all I could scrape together was $100. He could see my passion I guess and said yes. I handed him the money. He then said he felt a little bad that he didn't think they were worth that much. I had no idea because I'd never seen them but was happy as hell. He then proceeded to hand me the two 3-D issues and Piracy #1-7 that I had been eyeing. I was one happy kid!

We then proceeded to look at some of the others. He had books all the way back to 1939-1940 I'd never seen most of them but didn't realy care because I was EC drunk. Runs of early Batman, Capt America ect. I did notice a pretty nice Submariner #1 and asked the price.$40.00 he said. I knew I didn't have any more money so I put it down. (If I had any more money would have left with the ECs anyway). I asked him if I could come back over when I got some more money together and he said sure. I said I'd be back for sure.

About two months later I gave him a call. No answer after a couple of tries. I decided to go over and knock on the door which I did. No answer to the door either. I went back to the garage and it was locked. I looked in the window and all the stuff was gone! I was horrified and looked in the back window of the house which looked empty as well. I called a few more times but the guy and everything was gone. I never did find out where he and that amazing garage load went. Still kinda haunts me today..

Here is what I got that day:

comec3d1_zpsycmy938i.jpg