• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

The Upgrade (yes, the color strike & registration is that good): :whee:

27feaf1b-8331-4386-95ac-43a8ab9772b8_zpst2zlfxpz.jpg

That's some book Cat! Congrats

agreed. That's one of my favorite Timely comics, and that copy is just stellar

I'd have to crack it just to read "The riddle of the demented dwarf"!

Spoiler alert (as I've imagined it):

I'm guessing it's a revenge story. The demented dwarf was shorted pay as a Munchkin in The Wizard of Oz. The girl on the slab is probably Judy Garland.

:insane:

What a gorgeous book. Apparently that copy has never publicly changed hands. Can you give us it's history? The fact that a 9.4 copy exists shows how strict CGC must grade! Thanks.

Thanks! If this'n changed hands it probably wasn't through Heritage or ComicConnect as they provide auction results to GPA. Dealer sales are more random in that regard and CLink doesn't currently report auction results.

Given the appearance (front & back), I can't imagine the 9.4 copy looking nicer; the pulp paper PQ appears bone white edge-wise. No doubt the brilliant white cover stock always looked whiter than the interior.

And if it came from where I think it did, that 9.2 is probably an undercopy!

C'mon, Bob, give us the skinny! We won't tell. ;)

While this certainly is NOT on par with David's last entry, it's special to me because i am at last on the Timely thread with a post!!! After Marty posted his copy not too long ago i said i had to have one! Jack the Ripper nod for sure!

Ideal%20Comics%202_zpsqvwb15uv.jpg

While this certainly is NOT on par with David's last entry, it's special to me because i am at last on the Timely thread with a post!!! After Marty posted his copy not too long ago i said i had to have one! Jack the Ripper nod for sure!

:headbang: Nice 'un, and a tough book for sure. :applause:

Thank you Robot-Man and David! (And yes, it does have a 'Classics Illustrated' vibe to it). Maybe some were handed out in schools by accident and destroyed by teachers and parents after kiddies bought them home? :D

Killer book (pun intended!). The word corpses grabbed my attention right away, never seen this one before! As a side note, I think it rather odd that everyone knows this "mad killers" name but he's still at large! doh!

Killer book (pun intended!). The word corpses grabbed my attention right away, never seen this one before! As a side note, I think it rather odd that everyone knows this "mad killers" name but he's still at large! doh!

lollol (and thanks Jayman!).

21 years ago, i grabbed my first g.a. book, but it wasn't a very enthusiastic grab. i was a marvel silver collector, and was finishing up my runs. i was becoming fast friends with bedrock, who had put me into plenty want list silver, when i got a call from a dealer in rochester. he had come across a small original owner cap collection, and couldn't muster the dough he needed to get them all [about a dozen books, iirc]. so he called some customers/friends to form a little consortium to get the books. my $500 committment nabbed me the #9.

i didn't really want it, but bedrock had a nice little tos 39 i needed, for a bit more than 5 benjamins, and knowing him to be a timely collector/devotee', i thought he might trade them head-up. he indicated he might be willing to do that, depending on the cap 6 grade---but he also made a prediction: once i held that big fat thing in my hot little hands, and thumbed it up really good, i would not WANT to make such a trade.

so, a week later i held it and thumbed it up. i then went to the guide to see how many caps were in the run. the call i then made to ricky was "how many do you have for sale?"

anyhoo--my next call went to rochester, and i bought the 3, 6 and 10 out of the group. this was essentially the start of my cap run. i've had them raw for all these years [except the 3; slabbed it a couple years ago when it went crazy], but recently put 'em in plastic, just for giggles. they just got back from sarasota; here they be:

ca6.jpg