• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Hates Astronauts by Image Comics

114 posts in this topic

So, what is this book about...

You all know me. Will I like it?

This book is so damn crazy. It's not for everyone but if you like it you'll love it. It's one of the few books to make me actually laugh out loud. I saw in an interview a lot of it is just made up on the fly. Like all his character designs he just does them on the page. That's probably why the book feels so random.

You can read all the pre-image stuff for free on his site. The art has gotten WAY better since he did this stuff though.

http://www.godhatesastronauts.com/

It is up over $800 currently. The 2nd print is at $300 with bids.

I saw that and I was floored. Although it looks like the winning bidder decided to retract their bids and the item is back down to $500. I really despise this feature on ebay. I'm sure it will get back up there though. It only takes a few GHA fans with deep pockets considering how ridiculously rare this book is.

Edited by Comixcroz

<3 Thank you Comixcroz for the detailed explanations of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd printings! <3

I enjoyed the volume most recently published (#1-#5 which were released in late-2014 to Jan-2015).

#6 was released last week.

Next to Munchkin & RQ, this is my favorite comedic series; that is until Todd returns.

Edited by revivedrevival

Ok, so I am about halfway through it. The first two issues I enjoyed at times (characters, zanyness) and also kinda cringed. It may have been due to my somewhat cynical nature, but by issue three I've accepted the universe and am starting to have some fun/enjoy the crazyness. Its making me giggle now.

Will post again once I'm done with the trade.

<3 Thank you Comixcroz for the detailed explanations of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd printings! <3

I enjoyed the volume most recently published (#1-#5 which were released in late-2014 to Jan-2015).

#6 was released last week.

Next to Munchkin & RQ, this is my favorite comedic series; that is until Todd returns.

No problem!

Ok, so I am about halfway through it. The first two issues I enjoyed at times (characters, zanyness) and also kinda cringed. It may have been due to my somewhat cynical nature, but by issue three I've accepted the universe and am starting to have some fun/enjoy the crazyness. Its making me giggle now.

Will post again once I'm done with the trade.

I hope you liked it!

Have heard in a recent interview that Ryan is potentially planning another small kickstarter campaign, and also slowly working on more God Hates Astronauts. Related? I sure hope so.

I've managed to get my hands on all four printings of the original issue 1 (happened upon the 3rd printing by happenstance). But am finding it impossible to locate any of the other GHA related items. Especially that Star Grass statue. I wonder what the value on those items are since they pretty much never see the market.

Just a heads up in case you were unawares, there is a new God Hates Astronauts book on Kickstarter right now with some great reward tiers, including original art. It's already been fully funded. If you have never read GHA, I would highly highly recommend it, and I would also highly recommend backing his Kickstarter. Pretty decent price.