• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

Are there any reprint issues among the pre-Doomsday, Death of, Funeral, Reign and Return story arc that do not have the roman numeral under the pricing info? Other than the MoS #19 action figure reprint. Thanks

I believe they all have Roman Numerals, except the 2005 MOS 17 19.

Damn typo, meant to type 19 not 17.

To my knowledge, no, they all have the roman numeral except the 2005 MoS #19 reprint. As someone else mentioned there are newsstand editions and direct editions as well but the only difference there is the barcode instead of the artist/writer names on the cover. There are also a few issues with copies with the DCU logo instead of the barcode or credits.

To my knowledge, no, they all have the roman numeral except the 2005 MoS #19 reprint. As someone else mentioned there are newsstand editions and direct editions as well but the only difference there is the barcode instead of the artist/writer names on the cover. There are also a few issues with copies with the DCU logo instead of the barcode or credits.

For those interested, I believe the DC Universe Logo variants for this set would include:

Man of Steel 18 5th print (not really a variant, all fifth prints have this DC Universe Logo)

Action Comics 684, 686

Adventures of Superman 498-499

All are pretty tough to find

Thanks for all of the info. I have been trying to hunt down the reprints. I'm still way off from being complete. A friend of mine and myself were having a discussion about whether or not Dynamic Forces signature editions should be included in a "complete" set of a particular storyline. Anybody have any feedback on that subject? Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the info. I have been trying to hunt down the reprints. I'm still way off from being complete. A friend of mine and myself were having a discussion about whether or not Dynamic Forces signature editions should be included in a "complete" set of a particular storyline. Anybody have any feedback on that subject? Thanks again!

I would say in regards to this particular series, no, they should not be included . Unless I am missing something, the issues themselves are just standard first printings and everything that makes them special (signatures, packaging, etc) were added later by DF.

Ahhhh how we all search for these reprints...fun isn't it

I am still in need of a Action #686 2nd and Adv#499 3rd...both of which are impossible

MOS #17 2nd too but those are readily available if you want to pay big $$ for them.

I am still in need of a Action #686 2nd and Adv#499 3rd...both of which are impossible

MOS #17 2nd too but those are readily available if you want to pay big $$ for them.

I still need an AC 686 2nd Printing as well.

I was lucky enough to get a MoS 17 2nd Printing at a church garage sale. It came back a 9.4 but for $10 I'll happily take it. :grin:

I got a copy of AoS 499 3rd Printing in one of these prepackaged funeral for a friend sets on eBay for cheap but didn't bother grading it because it's not in great shape.

I was lucky enough to get a MoS 17 2nd Printing at a church garage sale. It came back a 9.4 but for $10 I'll happily take it. :grin:

I got a copy of AoS 499 3rd Printing in one of these prepackaged funeral for a friend sets on eBay for cheap but didn't bother grading it because it's not in great shape.

You got a AOS #499 3rd in one of those...? hm Are you sure? Yes, there's the AOS #498 3rds in there, but that has been the only later printing I've seen in them.

I've only seen the (much) later printings of AOS #499 3rd, Action #686 2nd, and MOS #20 2nd in the boxed sets, which I'm fairly sure came last (in 1995-ish), keeping in mind that the DCU variants weren't produced until 1994.

Yea I would say for $10 that's a good find.

And as far as the #499 3rd that's just crazy that you got one. Good for you!

You got a AOS #499 3rd in one of those...? hm Are you sure? Yes, there's the AOS #498 3rds in there, but that has been the only later printing I've seen in them.

I've only seen the (much) later printings of AOS #499 3rd, Action #686 2nd, and MOS #20 2nd in the boxed sets, which I'm fairly sure came last (in 1995-ish), keeping in mind that the DCU variants weren't produced until 1994.

doh! You're right, I meant 498.

499 I have never actually seen a 3rd printing

I see the last post in here was back in January. On the off chance anyone has a raw copy of Man of Steel #19 3rd print or Justice League #69 4th print they can spare I'd be interested. Not picky about whether they're newsstand or direct, not even that picky about grade. Anything 8.5 or better would be just fine.

:popcorn:

No one? :P

Start throwing out increasing offers. Someone will eventually bite.

I'm not even sure where to start, I don't have much of a grasp on the market for US books. I mainly collect foreign stuff. I'm heading to Chicago (C2E2) for the weekend, I'll look around there. If I can't find them there I might have to give that a shot. (thumbs u

_57_1.jpg

Is this a Adventures of Superman #498 5th printing? I didn't see any mention of it in this thread.

It was in an eBay listing that ended close to $100 for a sealed pack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Sealed-1993-DC-Collectors-16-Pack-Death-of-Superman-Doomsday-Funeral-Steel-/261885723852?nma=true&si=QK1odFtOSk3s1VJ5HnPzodZw2oI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Brother J

stupid question time, is there a master list with all the comics and versions on it including newsstand versions?

_57_1.jpg

Is this a Adventures of Superman #498 5th printing? I didn't see any mention of it in this thread.

It was in an eBay listing that ended close to $100 for a sealed pack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Sealed-1993-DC-Collectors-16-Pack-Death-of-Superman-Doomsday-Funeral-Steel-/261885723852?nma=true&si=QK1odFtOSk3s1VJ5HnPzodZw2oI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

4th print. Being the funeral AND the doomsday run in the same pack with later prints, buyer has a good shot at a Mos 18 4th/5th.